Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 73954 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - NEW! FEEDBACK NEEDED! :P
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »

This looks like so much fun! How soon will it be added to the GUI so we can play it? And if Splinterz will be a while, could you release a test version now?
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 04:57:12 pm »

Will the hermit get access to magic systems? In my head, I see one of the reasons for setting up a hermitage being that of a (non-warlock) mage tower or some sort of solitary forest druid.
Did you read the thread? :P

This looks like so much fun! How soon will it be added to the GUI so we can play it? And if Splinterz will be a while, could you release a test version now?
I told splinterz yesterday about it. No idea when he will add it, but I said it would be fine within 5 days, any time before I leave for Ireland. No rush, I am still working on content for the hermit.

No test version. I will write what I can, release it before I fly, and people can test it 2 weeks while I am not here. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2014, 05:01:54 pm »

Did you read the thread? :P

Um ... some of it. :)

Apparently not the pertinent parts.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

No test version. I will write what I can, release it before I fly, and people can test it 2 weeks while I am not here. :P
I volunteer as tribute!  ;D
My Area

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 05:16:34 pm »

Guthbug:
Added breakable shovels. Craftsman can make a shovel from 1 log. It breaks just like in kobold mode, but gives you enough options to dig some protection, moats, space in the soil layers for farms and to bury your hallucinations/regrets (6 embark dudes and 2 migrant waves), and allows you to reach ore. Once you got ore, make a smelter, bars, anvil, forge, forge a metal pick. :)

What are your ideas for the tech and magic thing?

I thought about this:
Magic 1 => Necromancy, unlife, zombies
Magic 2 => Conjuration, evil, demons
Magic 3 => Classic Elemental, animation (animated weapons)

About 4-5 reactions each.

Tech 1 => AoE trap components. Boobytraps. Unit steps on weapon trap loaded with it, it releases a cloud, affecting everyone nearby.
Tech 2 => Cage-shooting weapon. See gnomish cage-o-matic. Might be very useful for a lone hermit.
Tech 3 => Excavation Site/Seismograph combo. Again gnomish tech, it reveals smaller spots of unmined rock beneath it. That way you can find specific rock easier. A long hermit would otherwise do lots and lots and lots of explorational digging...

Not sure if I find the time to write this before the first release though.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 05:26:02 pm »

I put my preferences in the poll, but I'll elaborate them a bit here:

I'm not sure why, but I don't really like having an arbitrary male-only limit on what animals could be taken on embark; I would prefer not allowing for any animals at all, instead allowing for an increased ability to wrangle your own pets to do your bidding, or eat. Of course, the ability to embark with a cow would allow for a spectrum of difficulty within what is already a difficult challenge. As an aside: are wagons/'pack animals' hard-coded into the game, like the first two migrant waves? If so, how would you handle that?

Ideally there wouldn't need to be an imaginary friend, but I see the need if your hermit were incapacitated and needed help. Given that, make it some kind of a mid-game goal.

And yeah, the end-game goal should totally allow for the pursuit of SOMETHING, be it necromancy/conjuration/a book deal, whatever.

*edited to clarify my preferences*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:43:57 pm by Zuzu Reish »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 05:33:15 pm »

You get no pack animals like horses for free... I removed them.

The first two migrant waves might still bring pets... which can be explained with a lost dog or cat finding your hermits place. Thats ok.

The imaginary friend, as it stands at the moment, would be spawned automatically after surviving 1 year.

The ability to build one out of three magic altars will be given automatically after surviving 2 years.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »

You get no pack animals like horses for free... I removed them.

The first two migrant waves might still bring pets... which can be explained with a lost dog or cat finding your hermits place. Thats ok.

The imaginary friend, as it stands at the moment, would be spawned automatically after surviving 1 year.

The ability to build one out of three magic altars will be given automatically after surviving 2 years.
Would you get to pick the alter, but only one? Sorry if you mentioned the answer earlier...
My Area

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 05:46:15 pm »

You can build an altar, which can be upgraded into either conjuration, necromancy or elemental. You only get ONE reagent, so it can only be one. If the altar gets destroyed by tantrum or buildingdestryoers, its gone.

The reagent is also worth 100.000 dorfbucks, which puts your wealth over at least 2 siege triggers.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 05:49:41 pm »

You can build an altar, which can be upgraded into either conjuration, necromancy or elemental. You only get ONE reagent, so it can only be one. If the altar gets destroyed by tantrum or buildingdestryoers, its gone.

The reagent is also worth 100.000 dorfbucks, which puts your wealth over at least 2 siege triggers.
Cool system!
My Area

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »

Man. Bob the imaginary friend is going on my nerves. Spawning him is fine, his noble is fine, he even resurrects the hermit when he dies... but Bob himself wont die from that. I want him to resurrect the hermit, then go POOF! and disappear, but I cant figure out how. Its maddening.

I will concentrate on the magic stuff instead. Before I kill Bob.  :D

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 06:45:40 pm »

Man. Bob the imaginary friend is going on my nerves. Spawning him is fine, his noble is fine, he even resurrects the hermit when he dies... but Bob himself wont die from that. I want him to resurrect the hermit, then go POOF! and disappear, but I cant figure out how. Its maddening.

I will concentrate on the magic stuff instead. Before I kill Bob.  :D

Wilson!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 07:47:42 pm »

The first test bob was actuall called "Not-Wilson" :D

Necromancy is up. 4 reactions:
 - Become necromancer, makes you no-age and friendly to undeads. Gives you the ability to raise all corpse near to you.
 - Raise corpses, raises all corpses near the building in one go.
 - Soul wisp, make a soul wisp from a soul... known from warlock mode.
 - Black Monolith. 10 blocks, 1 totem, immobile pet, raises all corpses near it.

So pretty old-school, vanilla necromancers. You get normal undeads, and they murder everything, including your imaginary friend and your dogs and cats, and everything else. Your Druid merit is something you can forget about then. ;)

I will try to do the other two schools of magic tomorrow, and I made a post asking for help with Bob. He just want sacrifice himself valiantly...

PS: Gnomish excavation site is in as well. A little bit of stonesense (not the visualizer) for our hermit... he can feel what kind of rock surrounds him

Still not sure if it should be 2 or 3 years... 1 year nothing, 2 years Imaginary Friend, 3 years Magic?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:54:31 pm by Meph »

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2014, 10:30:09 pm »

any chance of selling souls for a succubus "pet" for the evil magic? :P
maybe the succubus can do work to help? but it would need a limit then or a higher cost

what about a few castes to make replay-ability? such as one game you get a nerd and the next you get a jock, just different skill gains and maybe fighting styles.  or even different building stuffs, like a nerd may know some gnomish stuff and a jock may get some orcish stuff

or any chance of augmenting the lone hermit during play?

can all hermits have the goal to take over the world? :P
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:02 pm »

Will necromancer be the only route to immortality?
My Area

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23