Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Historic artifacts  (Read 1097 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Historic artifacts
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Just a random curiosity of mine: it seems that no matter what world I play or see, that artifacts as a general rule of thumb cannot exist during world-gen. All I've seen are oodles of books and sometimes slabs that are made during the creation of the world from time to time. Always figured its a bit weird that you can have 1000 years of history and yet apparently every mood-able dwarf must have been atom-smashed before making their creation. :o Its because of this that I always like to start early on and craft things just so we don't have empty history with nothing cool in it.

Anyone know if there will ever be artifacts of legend (which is often the point of artifacts in the first place; and would make finding them in adventure mode something cool to do)? I'd love to see a history about a dragon coming in and looting a legendary gold floor grate and other such nonsense.

Also, crazy and undwarfish as it might sound, I'd also like to see them woodhuggers and oomans occasionally crank out an amazing work. Surely there must be geniuses out there who aren't necromancers!!

What are your thoughts about this?
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Historic artifacts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:35:30 pm »

Probably worldgen artifacts are just not implemented yet outside of books and slabs.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »

Probably worldgen artifacts are just not implemented yet outside of books and slabs.
this is true.  It is planned however for worldgen artifacts to exist, presumably not just for dwarves either (and in fact for artifacts in general to be improved in various ways at some point)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 10:23:54 pm »

Spehss is correct. I've always entertained myself by thinking that fort mode artifacts are produced from a touch of our [the overseer's] madness rubbing off on a dwarf for better or worse.
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:46:23 pm »

the first anvil that made all the other anvils was totally an artifact.  made out of soap bars.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:42:05 am »

Surely the first anvil was made out of Slade? :P

I'd give +10 internets for someone to figure out how to mod it in. I've seen enough copies of "It must have been the Human!" (a human skin bound book) to last a lifetime. :D
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:37:35 am »

Surely the first anvil was made out of Slade? :P

I'd give +10 internets for someone to figure out how to mod it in. I've seen enough copies of "It must have been the Human!" (a human skin bound book) to last a lifetime. :D

An anvil of slade, with magma as a heat source. And a warhammer made of slade, encrusted with blood and decorations of adamantine. These were the tools with which Armok forged the world.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 02:40:00 am »

^ This ^

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 03:37:16 am »

I feel like there should be a few more images on it, perhaps involving said creation of the world.

Are there still issues with Artifacts leaving Fort sites during Adventure mode? Because that would be a big one of the things to fix.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 05:54:00 am »

Have you ever been to most of these sites in adventure mode?  These guys cant build to save themselves and little in the way of stockpiles and workshops.  Moody dwarves in worldgen die of insanity due to incompetent rulers and no supplies.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.