Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No migrants or alerts about no migrants?!  (Read 1023 times)

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No migrants or alerts about no migrants?!
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:31:16 pm »

I'm currently learning the ropes with the latest version but I don't seem to get any migrants. I've had no problem with traders getting to and from me, no attacks or anything like that.
I haven't had any migrants or even a notification about getting none. From what I have read I should get 2 waves whatever happens right? I'm currently in year 130 and the furthest I can look back on the year 126 so I'm a few years in.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I just find it strange I have no notifications or anything  :-\

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Re: No migrants or alerts about no migrants?!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:40:57 pm »

I'm currently learning the ropes with the latest version but I don't seem to get any migrants. I've had no problem with traders getting to and from me, no attacks or anything like that.
I haven't had any migrants or even a notification about getting none. From what I have read I should get 2 waves whatever happens right? I'm currently in year 130 and the furthest I can look back on the year 126 so I'm a few years in.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I just find it strange I have no notifications or anything  :-\

Check your d_init.txt file in dwarf fortress/data/init, it should have [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220] just below [POPULATION_CAP:XXX]

If the line is not there, that is the reason you do not and will not get migrants.

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:45:59 pm »

I have this line:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But nothing with 'STRICT' in it?

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »

Hmmm I re-downloaded and unzipped and I have the line now. That's odd as i've never opened the d_init file before, omly the normal init file.

Thanks for the help though you put me on the right track!

EDIT:

The version I was using was 40_05, where-as the one I have just downloaded is 40_06 if that would make a difference?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:57:53 pm by synyster31 »

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:24:59 pm »

Assign the archery squad a barracks that overlaps the archery targets and they should start training in archery without issue.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:03:00 pm »

IIRC, there had been an issue somewhere in the various updates where a strict pop cap got added to the software, but not to the configs...
and missed from the configs, the strict cap used a default... of 0.  A patch was promptly issued, so most didn't encounter it, but if you got the release shortly after it had come out...
//Torrenal

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 03:23:25 am »

IIRC, there had been an issue somewhere in the various updates where a strict pop cap got added to the software, but not to the configs...
and missed from the configs, the strict cap used a default... of 0.  A patch was promptly issued, so most didn't encounter it, but if you got the release shortly after it had come out...
//Torrenal

Ahh that seems quite likely to be the cause then. Replacing the file with a correct one doesn't work for my current game  :( Oh well start over, again lol

Assign the archery squad a barracks that overlaps the archery targets and they should start training in archery without issue.

Pardon? lol