Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Should I focus On?

More Races to play as in fortress Mode (and expanding the current ones)
- 16 (9.3%)
More races in general
- 15 (8.7%)
Expanding The magic system to allow for spells that have effects on the caster (an eye for an eye, if you get my drift)
- 36 (20.9%)
More Cults and Lovecraftian elements!
- 56 (32.6%)
More Overlordy Elements!
- 23 (13.4%)
More Creatures From Both!
- 26 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange New World:A Lovecraftian Dark Fantasy Mod (ver .0.0.7) (40.xx.xx)  (Read 16355 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Strange New World Mod
    A lovecraftian dark fantasy mod with a touch of humor, cults and insanity. :P

The Eventual Goal Is to create a mod that fully represents the cthulhu mythos, staying canon to the call of cthulhu role playing game, with a few extra bits thrown in from the game "Overlord".

Warning:So Far it very new and very unfinished, but It has some cool features:

A new challenging race to play as in Fortress Mode: The Halflings

- The Halflings An evil race of foot haired fat hobbits (A new Game + mode so to speak)

They are not finished yet, but right now they can (Open spoiler to read their features):
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Non-Halfling Features

New Creatures scattered about the world for you to find, such as:

• The "Bloody Unicorns" From the game overlord
      A rabid unicorn that has been befouled by evil, I assure you, by the time you've dealt with them you will be yelling "Bloody Unicorns!" all the time. ;)
      Sanity Level 0
      Artists Impression:
    • The "Walking corpses" From the cthulhu mythos,
      They are basically reskinned/faster/deadlier zombies
      But they can also make dwarves go insane (very rarely)

Sanity level 1
      Artists Impression:
    • The "Deep Ones" From the cthulhu mythos,
      A slimy human like creature that appears to be part man part frog part fish. They worship the great old ones. And are determined to spread their beliefs wherever they go. (info:they can also make dwarves go insane (very rarely))
      Sanity level 1
      Artists Impression:
    --More will be added, MANY more

in the next update you will get Mi-go

Fanciful Creatures and places:

These appear in engravings, in order to provide flavor/lore info  and as placeholders until i implement them as actual creatures and items.

I made sure to include all bosses from the game Overlord, the First Overlord and , of course Gnarl. Along with a bit of info about all of them

On the lovecraftian side, I made a few select lovecraftian gods and creatures also fanciful and some of the places and items that exist in the mythos also fanciful.

Examples include the town of innsmouth and the necronomicon.

(I will hopefully make most of them appear in the game as real creatures eventually though, but this will do for now until i get further)

New Secrets For You To discover:

Chaos Aligned "Overlords" That can summon Minions (fire imps at the moment - will change)  to fight for their cause and bring fourth the power of chaos to spawn other creatures to fight for them (due to "chaos" those creatures are sometimes hilarious and completely useless though :P)

--All spells added by the mod are tagged by alignment when you uses them (so player knows what !FUN! they are getting themselves into)

Example:

Sanity System:
    Dwarves and all other intelligent creatures (even the cultists themselves) can go insane from seeing too many eldritch/Lovecraftian things.

And they will make it really obvious that they are insane, for example, dropping what they are doing collapsing on the ground in the fetal position and rocking back in fourth for awhile. While saying "Leave me alone"
    Or going Stark Raving Mad, and attacking people.
    And Much, much more.

Cults:

Artists impression:
    - My eventual goal (and i am getting there) Is to simulate cults to very high detail in gameplay, cultists can level up and advance from, for example, an acolyte to a priest. And the ciultists will sort of work together to complete the groups goal (usually to summon an eldritch horror to ravage your base sometimes not, depending on the cult) and will very slowly advance. It will take years for a cult to gain the ability to do certain things and complete their goals.

--I dont want to spoil too much here, but I already have one cult in the game. (Its unfinished, but it works very well)

Also, you can join any cult you wish in adventure mode and advance appropriately.. (Choose your prayers carefully..)

And More!

The Mod is currently In Heavy development and I will expand this feature list as it goes.

Download:

Strange New World Mod .0.0.7

Spoiler: Change Log (click to show/hide)

Old Versions:

Feedback is encouraged! Especially when its early in development, new ideas/tweaks are welcome!
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:34:57 pm by Untrustedlife »
    I am an indie game dev!
    My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
    My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
    My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • My Website

Worth checking out.

Thanks for the support :)

also:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New update time!

I added a bunch of new fanciful creatures/people/places for engravings, so now you will get engravings of the town of innsmouth the numerous bosses from overlord  and such.

Balanced sanity a bit more.. it was a bit odd before sometimes. (It might still be) but its all in good fun.

Updated the halflings and made them into a babysnatcher civ so they can now get slaves and will no longer be able to trade with dwarfs and such. And a few other things.

Added a new rank to the existing cult, now there is 3 different ranks in the cult and people will level up to become the new ranks. in addition to this there is new spells for cultists to learn and they will now pull levers and such when the opportunity comes up to cause a bit of mayhem. I also made them more accurate in terms of simulation and what they say of the cult from lovecrafts stories.And balenced them a bit, they are now a real threat after a few years  of... gestating.. so to speak..

No way to identify them yet besides reading the reports and closely monitoring certain dwarfs, but i will hopefully have a way of identifying them in soon.

Strange New World .0.0.5

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:32:30 pm by Untrustedlife »
    I am an indie game dev!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • worldbicyclist

they will now pull levers and such
    If you try that by adding MISCHIVIOUS to civ members, it wont work. At least it didnt, when Narhiril tried the same in Legends of Forlorn Realms. I dont know if it changed in 40.x.

If it does indeed work, please let me know. :)
    ::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
    ::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
    ::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • My Website

they will now pull levers and such
    If you try that by adding MISCHIVIOUS to civ members, it wont work. At least it didnt, when Narhiril tried the same in Legends of Forlorn Realms. I dont know if it changed in 40.x.

If it does indeed work, please let me know. :)
    Havent been able to fully test it, have a halfling home now, we shall see. If anything cult members are pretty darn mischievous anyway..:p adding the token exemplifies this.
    Of course due to their secretness it may have a effect on them.
    Also toady recently changed lever pulling a bit right?
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:29:16 pm by Untrustedlife »
    I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • My Website

Update guys, for full list of changes check out the change log in the OP.

quickrundown:
    New creatures, and MANY MANY bugfixes thanks to dfhack.

Strange New World Mod Ver .0.0.6
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:49:11 am by Untrustedlife »
    I am an indie game dev!

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Yo, having a picture containing several typos does not represent your mod in the best light. I'll give it a shot, but you should really, really fix that. Feet, not feat. "short, fat, and ugly" not "short fat ugly"

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • My Website

Yo, having a picture containing several typos does not represent your mod in the best light. I'll give it a shot, but you should really, really fix that. Feet, not feat. "short, fat, and ugly" not "short fat ugly"
    Oh my, I feel stupid now, I'll fix that. I wish more people would tell me when I screw up that obviously.
    It is a very in depth mod, I assure you. Tell me what you think?

Edit:
    Well, there were in fact many typos in the op, fixed them all.

I hope my spelling didn't turn off too many people, I have put a ton of work into the mod and would feel horrid if people didn't check it out simply because I failed to spellcheck the op.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have over 2000 views, but only 7 comments, is anybody actually playing this? I thought people liked the idea of a fully canon Lovecraft mod for df using the call of cthulhu ruleset. Losing hope guys. Sure it has a few bits of overlord thrown in for flavor but i made it as accurate as possible.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:31:56 am by Untrustedlife »
    I am an indie game dev!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
      • View Profile

If everyone rejected stuff because of precise grammar and spelling, the internets wouldn't exist!   :P

hermes

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

This looks awesome.  I'm gonna try this out on my next test fort to see how it feels.  PTW.
    We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
    I've been working on this type of thing...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • My Website

Allrighty then guys, new update.

change log:
    ~Rewrote sanity system a bit, insanity should happen with right percentages now (hopefully this means I will no longer be tweaking this, and instead be adding new functionality)
    ~ Insanity is much more varied now, it will choose from 6 different "traits" when a person goes insane, and will randomly pick a few of them, so some insane people will bang their heads on walls constantly, others will curl up in the fetal position, some will commit suicide others will be able to spread the insanity through telling dwarfs "stories", and other things, some will bang their heads on walls and tell stories, some will blubber like an idiot and curl up in the fetal position, some will try to kill themselves by banging their heads against walls extremely hard etc.
    ~Rewrote some of the reports, fixed numerous spelling/grammatical errors.
    ~There are a few new material types you wont see in game, they are for later purposes, but you can get forgotten beasts made of them.
    ~Probably something i forgot.

Strange New World Mod ver .0.0.7

Going to wait awhile for the next release (for when toady fixes the morale/fear system)
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:50:25 pm by Untrustedlife »
    I am an indie game dev!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • worldbicyclist

Dont let initial lack of feedback turn you off modding. I worked 30 days fulltime on my human fortress mod and got 30 or so upvotes on reddit when I released it... so about 1 per day. 2000 views is pretty good,.many people here are only lurkers anyway. ;)
    ::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
    ::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
    ::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • My Website

Dont let initial lack of feedback turn you off modding. I worked 30 days fulltime on my human fortress mod and got 30 or so upvotes on reddit when I released it... so about 1 per day. 2000 views is pretty good,.many people here are only lurkers anyway. ;)

In other news, its Hp lovecrafts Birthday today :), Ive got no update for you though, unless you just want the ghouls, but i want to improve them a bit first
    I am an indie game dev!

panstach

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

I can't seem to find an option to make sling ammo anywhere nor to plant pumpkins (probably overlooking this one though).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • My Website

I can't seem to find an option to make sling ammo anywhere nor to plant pumpkins (probably overlooking this one though).

Sing ammo is only available to halflings (not dwarfs), and you should be able to make "stones" anywhere where you were able to make bolts for dwarfs, (i will hopefully change this), it is labeled as "stones".

Slings also can be made at the bowyer.

The pumpkins are labeled as "halfling pumpkins", all halflings should have access to them unless they have all been forced out of their homes in world gen or something extraordinary like that.

(I plan to make this all a bit more obvious later on when I have time to make custom buildings for growing pumpkins/making special food out of pumpkins/making sling ammo)
    I am an indie game dev!
    Pages: [1] 2