Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogs and cats not breeding?  (Read 2946 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
Dogs and cats not breeding?
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:42:51 pm »

I just noticed that after two years none of my dogs or cats had any offspring. I have males and females and did the same as always. Other animals did breed. Do animals need to be on a psture now?

Has anyone had cats or dogs to breed?

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs and cats not breeding?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:21:17 pm »

maybe the dwarf code and the animal code got mixed up, so now any catsplosion-related code has been moved to dwarves.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:26:17 pm »

maybe the dwarf code and the animal code got mixed up, so now any catsplosion-related code has been moved to dwarves.

Hopefully that means kitties gotta get married. :)

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:17:12 pm »

They still breed on mine (40.06), I have around 60 cats and 60 dogs right now.

I have them all pastured though, but I don't think that should really affect anything.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:51:33 pm »

There is a bug related to animals brought with you where occasionally they won't breed. Buy another pet dog and cat and it should start. Otherwise they can't be caged.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:10 am »

I just noticed that after two years none of my dogs or cats had any offspring. I have males and females and did the same as always. Other animals did breed. Do animals need to be on a psture now?

Has anyone had cats or dogs to breed?

It doesn't matter whether they are pastured or not. It seems some animals are just sterile. My dogs breed just fine, and cats... fortunately not. But I have a lots of dogs and only two female cats (and thinking about killing them, since none of my cats are adopted). I have to mention though that I don't have a problem with dwarfplosion (dwarves are breeding only when married and not even all of them), maybe because my save was transferred from previous versions. If these problem are related that may be important.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 05:42:10 am »

Also noted in newest versions, 4-5 forts from 40_05.  Sometimes my dogs breed but not the sheep, sometimes the other way around, or both, or none.  Embarking and finding sterile dogs after 2 years, then abandon, embark same civ with dogs and got viable, so was not civ-tied.

I've only noted this on embark animals, not captures/trades.  Everyything I bought or caught bred when paired.  Butchering 2 sterile dogs and buying 2 more from dwarves led to puppies.

And of course you wont get kittens with 2 female cats Saiko.  Its eggs you get regardless of a male (they cannot hatch and are only food), everything else uses spores/rays/beams/telepathy/Armok.  But yeah butcher one before an immigrant brings a male in a wave with a dwarf who like cats :)  (Thats how cat adopt works, it needs to like cats, so when you trace catsploisons back to a source you genuinely find a crazy old cat lady)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:48:20 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:08:22 am »

And of course you wont get kittens with 2 female cats Saiko.  Its eggs you get regardless of a male (they cannot hatch and are only food), everything else uses spores/rays/beams/telepathy/Armok.  But yeah butcher one before an immigrant brings a male in a wave with a dwarf who like cats :)  (Thats how cat adopt works, it needs to like cats, so when you trace catsploisons back to a source you genuinely find a crazy old cat lady)

I should have mentioned that I also have two male cats, but since they can't bear kittens I don't consider them a threat. I don't know why they weren't adopted because I also have four cat lovers. I embarked with a pair of cats, and had the first catlover migrant one year later. But no adoptions.

Apart from that, I think it is possible that there is a total animal limit, like there is a cap for every species and for dwarves. I have lots of dogs, pigs and different birds. Maybe they take slots from cats? I have less animals than I used to (in v.34.x or v.31.x) but there may be issue with animals in this version.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 07:09:51 am »

Actually fair point.  I have migrants with cats already as pet and some unadopted cat migrants, yet seen no v40 spontaneous cat-adoptions.  Anyone definitely see that?  Sometimes you just dont have cat lovers but I dont recall seeing one in ages.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:07 am »

I'm having this issue as well - none of my cats have had kittens for 12 in-game years now. All of them are free-roaming

I'm going to have to cheat pretty soon to prevent a mass die-off of the fluffy little Forgotten Beast distractions.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 08:15:35 am »

I'm still not sure why you're using .34 in the first place  :P

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 08:58:08 am »

v0.34 has many funny things, which were later "resolved", like shaft of enlightenment exploit, or single tile trees. Also if someone has a favourite fort, it can't be upgraded to v0.40+.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:07:34 am »

Pasture breeding couples on small pastures like 4x4. Wait a year.  If they still don't breed buy new dog & cat males from caravan and pasture them instead.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 01:41:56 am »

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?