Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Domestication question  (Read 715 times)

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Domestication question
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:10:56 pm »

Has anyone ever civilization-level domesticated anything through play? I remember an old science post about trying this stuff in some older DF version, but the person didn't have much luck.

I know that when you tame an exotic animal, dwarven caravans will take some of your knowledge back to home civilization, slowly increasing the status on the "general domestication" tab of the animal screen from "few facts" to "general familiarity" to "expert". But is it even possible to ever get that to the "domesticated" rank? Also, have there been any proven effects of civ-level domestication? For instance, if I embark again after I domesticate something, will the animal become buy-able at embark? Will it become easier to tame this animal in my other forts?

Also, is there any way to get animal trainer experience on a map with no exotic animals? I have some bugged giant birds but I can't seem to catch one... alive, at least. If I buy exotic pets from epves, like "leopard cage (tame)", and they have children, will I be able to tame those children or will they come out already tame?

PS: can you breed dragons?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Domestication question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:37:40 pm »

AFAIK, you cannot actually get civ-level domestication. And no, you cannot tame a creature in one fort and then embark with it later on. All I think civ knowledge does is make taming the creature in question easier in other forts.

Tame creatures will always produce tame children, do that won't work. I wouldn't worry about grinding the trainer skill though. I'm pretty sure it's one of those skills that experience only makes the process faster, not more successful. So a dabbling animal trainer can tame a cave dragon just as well as an expert, just at a slower pace.

And yes, I'm pretty sure you can actually breed dragons now
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:39:26 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:06:15 pm »

I'm not sure if its a bug, but exotics bought from elves don't seem to breed anymore. I bought a Giant Leopard male and a Giant Leopard female on the 2nd year of my fortress.

It is now year 8 and they produced nothing. The animals I bought from dwarves breed normally, so do the stuff I caught in traps (I have lots of coyotes and wild boar now).

On the other hand, NOTHING was producing children (even the pigs I brought on first embark had no children!) when I was playing in 40.05, but I moved on to 40.06 and every female was having babies. Except the giant leopard female of course.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:19:55 am »

You cant push a species up to the third level no, which is what steers the embark pets.  But your civ does retain knowledge you gained from previous forts.  that came in 34.11 no?

I see significantly faster training beween an animal i've never seen and a general familiarity one with same animal trainer, same pet value.  one will go semi-wild from the cage, the other might -Train-

Also sterile animals seems to be a thing at the moment too, something somewhere is buggy.  I had only seen it from embark animals though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:05:29 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.