Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.07 Released  (Read 39739 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.07 Released
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 07:02:51 am »

I agree with Robsoie, adventurer mode is in a worst state than fortress mode, still very broken compared to 0.34.11.

The removal of quests brought the mode some versions back, and it looks like the reputation system is seriously broken. With an adventurer I killed dozens of night creatures and didn't managed to be noticed by anyone, even trying very hard to spread the news.

Morale is a mess - you are ambushed by vampires and bandits that run away from you, bandits in camp rarely react to being attacked, sometimes companions kill other companions from the same civilization without apparent reason, loyalty cascades are still very common.

You can't find equipments for dwarves and elves even in dwarf/elf sites, goblin sites are very laggy (related with them having very large populations in world gen), town almost always are desert.

Most of there are reported. I don't recall a bug report about the reputation system being broken, though.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 09:25:19 am »

(*) Stopped sleeping/incapacitated dwarves from doing things
So sleepwalking into the cage traps really was a bug?

So much yes to this release. Is it save compatible with .40.05?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

byzkarl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27:52 am »

I'm using it on linux, and the latest download seems to have some odd keybindings. I tried to adjust them in the interface file, but it didn't work.  For example, the d key is "view announcements", but it's also "set building tasks/preferences". Two tasks, same key. Trying to fix it in options didn't work. Copying an interfaces file from 40.06 didn't change anything either.

I can run it in linux under wine with the windows version, but wonder what's going on.

P.S. I'm a newb--this game is amazing. Thanks for it!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:28 am »

I'm using it on linux, and the latest download seems to have some odd keybindings. I tried to adjust them in the interface file, but it didn't work.  For example, the d key is "view announcements", but it's also "set building tasks/preferences".

I'm not having that problem in Linux (Debian 7, US keyboard, en_US.utf8 locale).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 10:05:00 am »

I agree with Robsoie, adventurer mode is in a worst state than fortress mode, still very broken compared to 0.34.11.

The removal of quests brought the mode some versions back, and it looks like the reputation system is seriously broken. With an adventurer I killed dozens of night creatures and didn't managed to be noticed by anyone, even trying very hard to spread the news.

Morale is a mess - you are ambushed by vampires and bandits that run away from you, bandits in camp rarely react to being attacked, sometimes companions kill other companions from the same civilization without apparent reason, loyalty cascades are still very common.

You can't find equipments for dwarves and elves even in dwarf/elf sites, goblin sites are very laggy (related with them having very large populations in world gen), town almost always are desert.

Most of there are reported. I don't recall a bug report about the reputation system being broken, though.
That's likely because it isn't easy to debug.

Until Toady implements better reactions to questing(or the DFhack guys start sniffing around), it's difficult to tell whether or not the new behaviour is intended or not. (Or !!SCIENCE!! happens)

Similarly, a theme in the last few fixes is that fixing one bug allows another to be found because of the large changes. I'm predicting a ton of bugs to be found in goblins fortresses once the populations are fixed, just because then the player will be able to find them there :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:31 am »

I'm using it on linux, and the latest download seems to have some odd keybindings. I tried to adjust them in the interface file, but it didn't work.  For example, the d key is "view announcements", but it's also "set building tasks/preferences". Two tasks, same key. Trying to fix it in options didn't work. Copying an interfaces file from 40.06 didn't change anything either.

I can run it in linux under wine with the windows version, but wonder what's going on.

I'm guessing you're using DF from a package manager, or using some other third-party libgraphics (e.g. "Dwarf Fortress Unfuck") - these will not work until they're updated, since new keys were added in 0.40.07. You can try the default libgraphics with the workaround from here (point LD_PRELOAD to a 32-bit zlib - the path may vary depending on your system).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

byzkarl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 11:04:05 am »

I'm guessing you're using DF from a package manager, or using some other third-party libgraphics (e.g. "Dwarf Fortress Unfuck") - these will not work until they're updated, since new keys were added in 0.40.07. You can try the default libgraphics with the workaround from here (point LD_PRELOAD to a 32-bit zlib - the path may vary depending on your system).

Yes, that's it. Archlinux, using the "dwarf fortress unfuck", because I'm impatient to get it working, and it isn't in the repos yet. Thanks so much!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 11:06:26 am »

Also just got this announcement again in a vanilla 40.07 fort (has happened three times in the same fort):

An animal has grown to become a Troglodyte Child.

I believe this was supposed to be fixed in this or the previous version.. (40.06)
Stopped birth announcements for hidden creatures and separated wild/tame animal birth announcements

Specifically, my announcement appeared on a fort that had not discovered the caverns, and did not have a volcano.  This would appear to qualify as a hidden creature?

Dwimenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:51 am »

I'm getting Marble Block Walls (that's good) mixed with Unknown Material Wall (which is bad)

1. Get some blocks
2. Order long wall construction
3. Watch as your mason/carpenter/metalsmith build several wall sections without using any blocks.

1x1 wall requires 1 block and is build out of designated material.
1x10 wall require 1 block and is build out of one designated material. First segment appears correctly, other 9 shows as "Unknown Material Wall"

Deconstruction of the Unknown Material Wall gives zero blocks back.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:24:28 am by Dwimenor »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 11:23:02 am »

Until Toady implements better reactions to questing(or the DFhack guys start sniffing around), it's difficult to tell whether or not the new behaviour is intended or not. (Or !!SCIENCE!! happens)

Similarly, a theme in the last few fixes is that fixing one bug allows another to be found because of the large changes. I'm predicting a ton of bugs to be found in goblins fortresses once the populations are fixed, just because then the player will be able to find them there :)

Yes, most of these are difficult to debug. I'm not complaining - overall the game is in a better state now than it was in 0.34.11 - but these problems I described must be dealt with to make adventure mode fun again.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 11:25:43 am »

Also just got this announcement again in a vanilla 40.07 fort (has happened three times in the same fort):

An animal has grown to become a Troglodyte Child.

I believe this was supposed to be fixed in this or the previous version.. (40.06)
Stopped birth announcements for hidden creatures and separated wild/tame animal birth announcements

Specifically, my announcement appeared on a fort that had not discovered the caverns, and did not have a volcano.  This would appear to qualify as a hidden creature?

It appears that this fix did not include aging announcements.
Edit: report
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:27:14 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

Also because without some sort of numerical display, it's difficult to tell what's going on and Toady One is trying to get as many old bugs dealt with as he can, but making progress.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 11:54:04 am »

I'm getting Marble Block Walls (that's good) mixed with Unknown Material Wall (which is bad)
[...]
1x10 wall require 1 block

This is Bug #7937.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 11:55:12 am »

[...]
1x10 wall require 1 block

This is Bug #7937.
Which has already been fixed, pretty quick.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 12:34:02 pm »

I wonder if Toady One will release a version 40.08 soon because that esc key crash sounds like something to hotfix for.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5