Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Duerer 15x15 v.0.6.A [TWBT 40.24/Classic 42.02]  (Read 147708 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Duerer tileset v.03[15x15][40.10]
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2014, 03:21:25 pm »

Thumbs up for your "Information about modded tiles (v. 0.3)". Its very helpful to all modders that might want to use the set. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »

Thumbs up for your "Information about modded tiles (v. 0.3)". Its very helpful to all modders that might want to use the set. :)
Thanks. And logging this helps me a lot too, just as you advised.
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2014, 07:11:13 pm »

I had a look at including this into MDF, but its not possible atm, because the tileset is for 40.x, while MDF is still on 34.11, but your font would make a beautiful font-tileset for Twbt. Its very readable and you still have all the accented characters. Might I include it for the font alone for now?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2014, 07:37:41 pm »

Might I include it for the font alone for now?
No problem, but i'd like to know what should be fixed asap to improve compability with 0.34
Its very readable and you still have all the accented characters.
What do you exactly mean by "accented characters"?

Btw, i have a plan to release lite version of Duerer with more vanilla ASCII characters before i'd start to make graphics. With this or next week update.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:53:23 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2014, 07:38:00 pm »

Sorry, double post, don't know how to delete
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2014, 07:42:11 pm »

Or i constantly missing modify button, or there is something wrong with the board
Anyway, as i already posted new message, i'd like to clarify question about "accented characters" from my pre-previous post:
Æ and 'pi' characters are swapped in Duerer at the moment. Is it ok, and do they have use as text characters in masterwork?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:52:45 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2014, 07:53:30 pm »

Something might be off with your internet connection. ^^

Accented characters are things like â or ì. Essentially all that stuff (MDF tileset as comparison, I use many more graphical tiles than characters)
(sorry for horrible jpeg artefacts)

Tiles that look like text, but represent objects ingame, while still appearing in names (depending on language files). Honestly, I am not used to Ascii at all, and would much rather see a actual undead-icon instead of '~N' or a demon-looking creatures sprites instead of an '&', or a little dwarf statue instead of an Omega. You get the point. ;)

Edit: Some are quite important for gameplay. ó and ò for on/off levers would drive me insane, I am way too used to having a green ON lever, and a red OFF lever, with actual text on the tile. ^^

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:50 pm »

Something might be off with your internet connection. ^^

Accented characters are things like â or ì. Essentially all that stuff (MDF tileset as comparison, I use many more graphical tiles than characters)
(sorry for horrible jpeg artefacts)

Tiles that look like text, but represent objects ingame, while still appearing in names (depending on language files). Honestly, I am not used to Ascii at all, and would much rather see a actual undead-icon instead of '~N' or a demon-looking creatures sprites instead of an '&', or a little dwarf statue instead of an Omega. You get the point. ;)

Edit: Some are quite important for gameplay. ó and ò for on/off levers would drive me insane, I am way too used to having a green ON lever, and a red OFF lever, with actual text on the tile. ^^
Got it. I'd like to discuss some of the details via PM
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duerer tileset v.03[15x15][40.11]
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 02:14:01 am »

Announcement
Duerer is compatible with 40.11, no changes required.

About v.0.4 delayed release:
It took more time than expected, to complete current development cycle. Still i should fix several minor issues. I hope it will be out in next 2 days.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:06:32 am by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duerer tileset v.04[15x15][40.11]
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:31 am »

Update!

Duerer v.0.4 [40.11]

What’s new:
—Duerer now contains 2 tile sets
—"Duerer_ascii" is based on v03 with simplified floors and furniture tiles. If you like something simple — enjoy it!
—"Duerer" itself has been reworked and now contains detailed tiles for furnishing, pseudo-volumetric walls and uses more “tile magic” tricks. Some things here are still partially undone though

Other changes:
— eye friendly dig and channel designations
— minor changes in text font (numbers and &)
— tree trunk moved to tile 10 (thus freeing up tile 245)
— track ends moved to tiles 220-223
— slightly smoother wall corners
— water/sand is now seamless
— adjusted colour scheme, dark grey is slightly more visible

Notes:
— As now there is 2 tilesets, i have to change install info in OP. Read, how to swap tilesets, if you are new player ;)
— Both tileset designed to be used as is. However you may try to feed DFHack/TWBT with them. They just aren't optimised for this purpose yet.
— If you don't like new dark grey (because it's now dark brown aka rust) here is...
Spoiler: old colour code (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:03:30 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 08:39:37 pm »

Good work. :)

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »

Went building new fortress just to find an issue in appearance of bauxite (and probably puddingstone) in duerer (not duerer_ascii, it's ok).
+ and Θ tiles are redrawn to represent fancy floors and beds and now look strange in stone layers. I advise you to change them tiles
from '+' and 233
to 241 and 232 respectively.
Spoiler: howto (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: screenshot(animated) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:06:24 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »

As my work continues here, i have some questions to community. Basically because working without feedback and suggestions seems for me like walking blind.  :(
Here they are:
1. most important: What do you think of new volumetric walls?
2. And what about new adventurer/non-fortress-dwarf tile?
3. How do you like ascii version?

That's it. If you have any other thoughts — feel free to tell me  :)
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 06:11:47 pm »

As my work continues here, i have some questions to community. Basically because working without feedback and suggestions seems for me like walking blind.  :(
Here they are:
1. most important: What do you think of new volumetric walls?
2. And what about new adventurer/non-fortress-dwarf tile?
3. How do you like ascii version?

That's it. If you have any other thoughts — feel free to tell me  :)

Disclaimer: I can only go from sctreenshots here, haven't played with your tileset yet.
But I figured you might want to hear it anyway when you specifically ask for feedback.

1. Volumetric walls
I like them, they look good. However, it doesn't work visually when the end of a wall (pillar?) is north of the rest of the wall. It looks like a piece is missing. See your screenshot above directly northeast of the "Y" with red background (dead yak?). It's not something that can be changed with the way DF works, but I think it would make me reconsider using the volumetric walls.
They do harmonize better with the rest of the tileset than the old version though. I suggest experimenting with thinner non-volumetric walls. Basically just take the volumetric walls, center them and remove the volumetric effect.
Generally I like the whole look. Coming from someone that struggles to get some more consistency in his own tileset, I think you did a very good job on that end.
2.dwarves
I'm not convinced yet with your dwarves. They improved since the first implementation, but I think it's not there yet. Have you tried full-body graphics instead of just the head? I think that could fit the rest of the tileset better.

3. ascii
Looking at the comparison screenshots above, the non-ascii version really looks better. I guess it's because you achieved a certain, very sharp and consistent style with your floor/soil/(volumetric)wall tiles and the finer details on the non-ascii symbols harmonize with that better. The letters are great (especially in text!), but you can't change the monospaced nature of tile based graphics, so the letters look clunkier amongst wall and floor tiles than they would normally, I think.
The furniture (of the non-ascii version) especially is fantastic. Armor stand could be better, barrel is fine, but could look more like the other furniture (i.e. finer and more detailed). Don't know how much that conflicts with how easily it is to identify as barrel though.

Other things:
*Trunk looks great, fits with rest, not sure about other tree tiles.
*Don't like the ramps; there's only so much you can do with unidirectional ramps while keeping your style consistent, but I'd try to experiment with them a little more.
*Contrary to my own tileset, floor on the current z-level and floor on a level below can be distinguished well.
*Letters are great

All in all it's already one of my favorite tilesets and I'm looking forward to what you do with it.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 07:40:56 pm »

<...> it doesn't work visually when the end of a wall (pillar?) is north of the rest of the wall. It looks like a piece is missing. <...>
Truth. Pillar tile is the main problem of volumetric walls from my point of view. I spent 1 full day trying to make it look good, but it wasn't very successful.
And yes, volume removal will solve everything, but i'd like to try other solutions before. Just to be sure.

<...> Have you tried full-body graphics instead of just the head? <...>
Not tried yet. Sounds like a plan.

<...> Armor stand could be better, barrel is fine, but could look more like the other furniture <...>
i kinda left it be that way. Wasn't sure i'll be able to work on/post update at weekend. So these two definitely are placeholders

<...> Trunk looks great, fits with rest, not sure about other tree tiles. <...>
That's an interesting thing you noticed. When i changed tree tiles from vanilla wall-based to unique ones, i didn't knew (and still don't) the meaning of that trunks, caps and other things, while this may be important, since in 40.xx trees aren't just graphic thing — we can climb up there and even build a house. But after all i'm ok with tree tiles for now and also TWBT gives me great opportunities to improve it in future

<...> Don't like the ramps; there's only so much you can do with unidirectional ramps while keeping your style consistent, but I'd try to experiment with them a little more. <...>
Ah. You're not the only one, who questioned ramps here. To be honest i've got some ideas about it, but ramps aren't in my short list now.

Thanks for your help, i appreciate that :)

▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14