Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Duerer 15x15 v.0.6.A [TWBT 40.24/Classic 42.02]  (Read 147742 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Duerer tileset v.04[15x15][40.11]
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2014, 11:53:15 pm »

I would go for more graphics, less characters, but I am repeating myself. ;)

For example on the newest screenshots, you have a '+-' tile and a 'british pound' tile for ores/rocks. I'd try for something that looks more like ores/rocks, instead of a letter representing them.

Overall the style is great, the trees look fantastic, and the font as well. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 02:29:32 am »

I would go for more graphics, less characters, but I am repeating myself. ;)

For example on the newest screenshots, you have a '+-' tile and a 'british pound' tile for ores/rocks. I'd try for something that looks more like ores/rocks, instead of a letter representing them.

Overall the style is great, the trees look fantastic, and the font as well. :)

Yes, i remember your suggestion about ores/stones  ;) Still, terrain/dungeon features aren't a today's task. At the moment i just has made surroundings look same style, and moved my focus to other aspects.

Thanks for feedback :)
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

i00n

• Bay Watcher
  • Tetris gosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2014, 06:32:24 pm »

Semi-graphical version is very pretty. The only things that I kinda don't like are the barrels and pillars. Pillars look really weird at the top and I would love to see some sort of rugged/old style for the barrel to match the gothic/medevil theme of your tileset.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »

Semi-graphical version is very pretty. The only things that I kinda don't like are the barrels and pillars. Pillars look really weird at the top and I would love to see some sort of rugged/old style for the barrel to match the gothic/medevil theme of your tileset.
Yeah, barrels already fixed. Not sure if gothic enough, but certainly better. Here is WIP (also new statues):

Walls along with other problems still bother me. If i don't invent something about it, i'll switch back to plain-drawn ones.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:51:16 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2014, 08:52:08 pm »

The new barrels are a great improvement!
One issue: If you compare it to the furniture, the perspective doesn't seem to be consistent. In fact, if you compare chairs, tables, chests, and now barrels, they all seem to have a slightly different perspective. Often not off by more than one pixel. I think it would look a lot better if they all had a consistent perspective.
I feel like a preaching asshole mentioning this when my own tileset has the exact same problems for some tiles, but maybe it helps you.

Not sure how all of this works without volumetric walls. From looking at other tilesets though, it seems to me the way walls are displayed (i.e. volumetric or not) has a negligible effect compared to how well the perspective of items fit together.

Looking at it more accurately, it seems chests, (new) barrels, and beds work well together, while chairs and cabinets seem to have the same perspective as well, but don't work with chests/barrels.beds.
Tables seem to be somewhere in between.

Also, the way you use the bin symbol is great, I love it. It looks flat, sure, but for a compromise between the cursor, up/down-stairs and bins, it works great.
Edit: grammar
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:56:51 pm by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2014, 08:56:07 pm »

Edit: double post because I'm a moron.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2014, 10:30:02 pm »

The new barrels are a great improvement!
One issue: If you compare it to the furniture, the perspective doesn't seem to be consistent. In fact, if you compare chairs, tables, chests, and now barrels, they all seem to have a slightly different perspective. Often not off by more than one pixel. I think it would look a lot better if they all had a consistent perspective.
I know. I just fear to start adjusting it. Because to be honest it's more style than perspective issue. No need to fix pixels, i should redraw chair/table/walls/blocks/other things from scratch instead.
To explain my position, i'd like to reveal a secret:
Drawing style based on 1px outline and thick diagonal hatch fill (see walls in "ascii" as best example) came from very early version of my tileset, when i was trying several different design ideas ("noise application experiments", as stated in OP ::)). As now things getting clear, i need to remove those rudiments.
Also, the way you use the bin symbol is great, I love it. It looks flat, sure, but for a compromise between the cursor, up/down-stairs and bins, it works great.
Lucky accident here :) Added strike under X to fill space in staircase — went with that box. Thanks for noticing, i wasn't thinking about it  :)
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duerer tileset v.0.4.A [15x15][40.13]
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2014, 03:42:02 pm »

Fix

Duerer v.0.4.A [40.13]

Added [GRAZE_COEFFICIENT:100] line in d_init.txt (new in 40.13)

That's all  :)
0.5 will be released when it's done
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duerer 15x15 tileset v.0.5 [40.13]
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2014, 07:43:33 am »

Update!

Duerer v.0.5 [40.13]

This release removes many artifacts from so-called “v.0.0”

What’s new:
— Completely redesigned walls / pillars
— Better furniture
— More tiles are pseudovolumetric now, including:
   — grates
   — logs
   — blocks
   — floors
— Full-scaled dwarves
— environment improvements (new plants, for instance)
— Minor fixes of 0.4 tiles (barrels, armour stand etc.)

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:53:41 am by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2014, 09:12:59 am »

I'm amazed. The new dwarves and floors especially look fantastic. But pretty much everything is improved indeed. Logs, furniture, walls, barrels. Can't judge how the volumetric trees look ingame from just that screenshot.
The only thing I don't like are the sapling and bush tiles.
Obviously the old ones were just a placeholder so to speak, but I believe you can do them better. The sapling just doesn't look like a sapling anymore, which is a shame because even the pure 'τ' character itself already perfectly looks like cotyledons. Bush is just too "mushy" and not clearly recognizable as anything.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2014, 09:21:15 am »

Thanks
The sapling just doesn't look like a sapling anymore.
True, but saplings share т with cave wheat. basically this forces me to hack raws

UPD: cave wheat... i just realised that there is no bread in DF. what a pointless thing

And also, about trees. there are few more shots in OP
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:25:57 am by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2014, 11:34:36 am »

Ah, I didn't realize you've updated those. Leaves look great, trunk is fine, not sure about the "+" branches.
And man, your header image looks nice.

i00n

• Bay Watcher
  • Tetris gosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2014, 10:19:20 am »

And i was just getting used to the dwarf head tile :) but this new one looks good too, it's dwarfy enough for me. Also new furniture looks much better in my opinion. But barrels still not gothic enough :D

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »

Really love it. but i need to admit, a few of the Dorfs are a little difficult to see and recognize.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »

The more I play with it, the more I like it. This is an absolutely beautiful tileset. Thanks for including an ASCII variant. I've linked here from my thread as a recommendation.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:39:08 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14