Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the most dynamic life-like game world?  (Read 4835 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the most dynamic life-like game world?
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:20:37 pm »

As title says.

Not Skyrim. The world doesn't act by what you do. Its rather a stagnant game.

X3 litcube's universe is rather dynamic with 2 noncheating AI...closest I can think of.

Oblivion actually felt way more dynamic and life-like than Skyrim does.

Mount and blade is sorta dynamic. Not very life-like and the AI is freakin scary...mindless NPC walking around cities. Its a true horror experience.

Any games match what I am looking for? Closest I can think of is the x3 mod. And oblivion with some mods. And Skyrim with mods is still not really like oblivion's world.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:30:06 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most dynamic life-like game world?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:34:41 pm »

Oh. Another one that I thought was good too was farcry 2. That felt like a real living world. Way more than the third...most don't like the 2nd though. It is better with getting some mods.

Oh. The #1 best one. Ultima 7. The AI and world are better than any game world (x3 is good too like I said with that one mod)...which seems a bit sad seeing the game is ancient and still no game comes close.

Can't think of any other dynamic, living worlds (or universe). Maybe spore plus mods is an OK choice.

Must be more games like what I am looking for.

Oh and please no MMOs. Those are more stagnant than any game. Ryzom is only good choice out of them all. Its only living non death match clone sandbox mmo. All others are lame PvP clones or stagnant theme parks.

Ryzom is way up there though for living/dynamic worlds. And its unique and relies on real content.

Any other games with living, dynamic worlds that is ai influenced, not player influenced? I want to be part of the world. Not a hero whose world is influenced by. A game that continues whether I am involved or not.

UO7, ryzom, x3 litcube's are exactly what I'm looking for.

Far cry 2, oblivion are below those. Spore is okay and better with mods.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:49:35 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »

I'd probably toss STALKER: CoP in there as an example of a living, dynamic world.
The vast majority of npcs in it actually have goals(which tends to be find some artifact or another, or go someplace to pawn stuff), they don't just disappear after you leave and it has some genuinely great combat ai(to the point where, with a bit of prodding, it could actually complete the game). It does a nice job of making each random russian dude with a silly name feel like he actually has agency rather then just being a standee that'll just stop doing things after you leave.

And I definitely agree with what you said about Farcry 2, very underrated game in a lot of ways.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:00:06 pm »

Crusader Kings 2 is all about your decisions.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 04:01:34 pm »

Stalker is good. Forgot about that one. AI is actually pretty great.

How's unreal world RPG as far as living and dynamic world goes? I can see it as you being a small part of a huge picture. But never played it.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 04:01:52 pm »

Space Rangers 2 has a world populated by NPCs that trade, fight and upgrade their stuff. At the easiest difficulty, the game eventually wins itself without your help, cause the NPCs take care of the big threat themselves.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »

Ultima VI? Kind of worse than UVII in every way though, but people did have their routines.

Serf City: Life is Feudal? A city builder/war game, where your serfs tend to go about their business by themselves, sort-of. Not really that deep, but mesmerizing in a way. I used to use it as a CPU vs CPU screensaver sometimes.

Anamnesis might fit the bill. The other factions go about their business quite happily. Here's a linky to the bay12 thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118981.0

EUIV/CK2 has a heap of interaction and CPU people doing whatever they want. It's not really at a personal scale, but CK2 can be a pretty good (assassinate whole families, imprison another, promote random schmo's who aren't a threat, then let them work it all out). Also has a pretty good Game of Thrones mod, in case you know more about television than history.

Merchant Prince did have a bit of a passive/aggressive world going, with people struggling to become pope, doge and all that. The interaction is pretty limited though.

Colonization feels fairly worldy, with natives doing stuff, enemies doing stuff, the motherland doing stuff and you trying to win in amongst what can seem like random events. Try FreeCol, because it's, errrmm, free.

SMAC/SMAX had a great game world, with the opposing AIs sticking to their modus operandi pretty well. Diplomacy wasn't too bad really.

Some of the newer versions of Pirates! had an agent based system where you could stop events happening or cause them to happen by interceding. Not sure how good it was if you just left it to its own devices though.

Maybe TBS games shouldn't really be on here, or grand strategy. I assume you mean more personal, smaller scoped games?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:21:35 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:07:01 pm »

Space Rangers 2 has a world populated by NPCs that trade, fight and upgrade their stuff. At the easiest difficulty, the game eventually wins itself without your help, cause the NPCs take care of the big threat themselves.

That sounds awesome. Sounds a bit like Distant Worlds, which actually has a living universe too, judging by what I played of it.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 04:21:13 pm »

That sounds awesome. Sounds a bit like Distant Worlds, which actually has a living universe too, judging by what I played of it.

i would have mentioned distant worlds :D
still maybe the "best" space 4x game "where the universe feels alive" and stuff is moving around everywhere and doing stuff on its own.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »

The Guild 2: Renaissance has upto 12? merchant families that grow, marry, make children, die, ect, while expanding their merchant-empires and intriguing against each other and human players... doing everything from sending their bully boys to burn down your building, to seducing your daughter to sending assassins, to challenging you to a duel... or even more likely, bringing your [possibly fabricated] crimes to court and getting you sentenced [jail/executed/ect].. There is also various political intrigues and jockeying for political appointments for your family, ect.

While buggy [although far less buggy then the previous versions], can be fun, multi-player requires quite a bit of effort/dedicated as you have to reload anytime a de-sync happens... but the single player is a bit more manageable.

[The guild 2: renaissance is the standalone game + expansions + some bug fixes repackaged]

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 04:41:55 pm »

Railroad tycoon 3... but from a very macro view. There are towns and factories/farms strewn about producing and demanding goods. If you don't freight goods for them they use land and rivers routes to ship their goods and make a profit.
Similar thing with towns people in them want to get to places and WILL switch trains if they have to further generating profit if you have a hotel/restaurant at the junction... and they won't go anywhere if there is no phycial way of getting from one place to another meaning the ammount of passangers increases dramatically as you build up your network.

It's actually suprisingly comples.... if completely lifeless on the surface.

Then there's Tropico. You are a dictator and rule over a tiny island filled with NPCs. you make the rules and mandate things and they abide to them.

Then there's Majesty... altho it's not exacly lifelike aside of the heroes... now that i think about it a fantasy city builder where you cater to wandering heroes would be a nice idea for a game.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:44:43 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 04:52:37 pm »

From Dust. Quite cheap ($10 I think?), focus on terrain erosion and shaping. Unfortunately:
1. Ubisoft game, so UPlay nonsense is tied to it
2. IMO they gamified it a bit too much, putting in a set of levels/challenges, without letting you just do a sandbox mode until the final level (and then only letting you do said sandboxing if you refuse to complete the level).
In terms of experimental games, it's certainly one of the more interesting out there, and has certainly shaped the direction in which my person programming projects went.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »

If you're willing to wait awhile Cataclysm: DDA is starting to go that direction, with the already implemented horde mechanic and the upcoming changes to NPCs and Factions its looking to become the best post-apocalyptic simulation yet.

Granted it already IS, but its still getting BETTER :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 10:28:47 pm »

If you're willing to wait awhile Cataclysm: DDA is starting to go that direction, with the already implemented horde mechanic and the upcoming changes to NPCs and Factions its looking to become the best post-apocalyptic simulation yet.

Granted it already IS, but its still getting BETTER :P

I have been keeping an eye on it. It does sound like what I am looking for. But been waiting for the NPC changes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »

Dwarf Fortress? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2