Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wannabe D&D player looking for mentor willing to DM.  (Read 1011 times)

TheCritsyBear

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a masterful engraving of an avatar.
    • View Profile
Wannabe D&D player looking for mentor willing to DM.
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:54:11 pm »

d
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:31:14 am by TheCritsyBear »
I had to create a new account for my own reasons, I was once a Bay Watcher like you. Now I am but a lowly Escaped Lunatic.

TheCritsyBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wannabe D&D player looking for mentor willing to DM.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »

I'll bump this just this once in good hope, and after that I'll let it die.
I had to create a new account for my own reasons, I was once a Bay Watcher like you. Now I am but a lowly Escaped Lunatic.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »

Might not be the best forum to try to find a mentor.. especially in this sub-section.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:00:19 pm »

Yeah, you might have better luck in the 'Play With Your Buddies' subforum, or possibly one of the dedicated D&D threads.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:13:40 pm »

Alternatively, the Giant in the Playground forums. It's as dedicated as dedicated gets.

I guess I can help with some stuff, though most my knowledge is in pathfinder, 4e, and a couple indie systems, but really, the best way to learn to play is prolly playing. You might wanna vet something that you think causes rule fuckery ahead of time. Every table pretty much has it's own DnD rules anyway, so knowing the system in and out pretty much just means the GM asks you instead of cracking a book open. At the very least, go over the combat rules in general, and know your own numbers in specific. It'll speed up combat and keep everyone from being bored.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47:47 pm »

-Rudimentary knowledge of combat, skill rolls, and other systems.

This basically puts you ahead of like 80% of the people who actually play. Including most of the GMs. Don't worry about it so much, just find a game that looks interesting and join in. Almost all of them are okay with newbies, but if you're not sure, ask if they are.

TheCritsyBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:12:28 pm »

Aw shoot! I honestly didn't see that subforum. The last time I was here it wasn't there, I swear! I'm sorry I posted in the wrong place.

But thank you for your advice, I'll try your suggestions!