Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: making a one person civ  (Read 1142 times)

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
making a one person civ
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:19:55 am »

i was wondering if it is possible to make a civ similar to the hermit http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142002.0

basically i want all the normal dorf fortress features but with just one of my custom creatures.
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: making a one person civ
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:07 am »

Doesnt the existance of the hermit mod I am working on answer your question? Yes, it is possible.

You still embark with 7 units, get 2 migrant waves, but I "kill" them with interactions. And its designed for Fort Mode only.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:25:58 pm »

interesting way of doing it. however it seems like a finicky way of doing it. i will study the hermit and implement it into my design and see what happens. i am guessing all creatures are immune (except the hermit themselves of course) to the interaction to stop it from being used on gobos and such.
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »

Yes, only hermit-creatures are affected.

There is really no way to get a 1 man embark. I even have a script in MDF that allows changing the embark group size, for example you can embark with 100 dwarves... but under 7 doesnt work. If you try with 1 unit, the game instantly crashes.

And there is no way to get rid of the first two migrant waves. I have tried dead civs, no active seasons, nada... you always get those. So of course its a silly workaround, but the only way I found to play as single person.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:33 pm »

Yeah, too many hard-coded things to make it work without some serious finicking. Of course, there is always the adventure mode with DFHack that will allow you to build buildings and such, but still is not the same as Fortress mode.