Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit Challenge☼ - Contestants wanted!  (Read 6805 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
☼The Hermit Challenge☼ - Contestants wanted!
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:44:29 pm »

Hello everyone,

MasterworkDF now includes a challenge mode that allows you to play a single person in fortress mode. The Hermit. Survive alone in the wilderness. You have several new workshops at your disposal that help you survive: http://i.imgur.com/fy2SF5H.png

I am looking for brave testers of this mode, people who want to try their hand at survival. To win the challenge you have to upload a 5-year fort build by your hermit. No cheating with dfhack please, but save-scumming is allowed. I am mostly interested on balancing feedback, to see how fair this mode is, and to see what kind of new features you would like to see. You can find out more info about the hermit mode in general, including a poll about potential features, here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142002.0

You can have a go at it by downloading MasterworkDF V.6.1, opening the GUI and enablding the Hermit race, then gen a new world. If you prefer to trade, you can switch your faction. For example as "civilized" hermit you do get caravans from dwarves, humans, elves and gnomes. Default setting is "evil", which means no trading.

I am very curious to see what people come up with. A crazy alchemist in a tower? A trapper in a wooden cottage? A druid living in a cave? A crazy adventurer with a tiny hut, but a basement that reaches to the magma lake?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:25:37 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit Challenge☼ - Contestants wanted!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »

Count me in meph baby, but it make me have to delete my poor new fort.... but oh well.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:04:40 pm »

Dibs on cave druid! No mine, no hunt. Cut only the trees I need, use wicker for most everything. I'll write seasonal updates, or so.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:06:35 pm »

Evil for me so good luck to everybody.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:34:34 pm »

Here's my attempt at nature loving cave hippy...

In the early spring of the year 51, Ineth Logememal, also known as Paintedsense, arrived at the cave he would call his home, naming it Zustikul, meaning Beddednest. He took nothing, not even clothes, on his journey. He found at the site an abandoned wagon with a stray dog living in its shelter. Dogs were a creature for which he had a special fondness; their loyalty was unparalleled amongst other animals. Adopting the animal, and naming it Nish Argedsizir, he decided his first actions needed to be fashioning an axe from the abandoned wood. After felling a nearby tree he was able to craft a chair and table, so he could get to work sewing the cloth he had found in the abandoned wagon into clothes.

On the 13th of Granite he walked tentatively into the cave. Inside he found blobs of many different varieties, and their strange forms held his attention for a short while. However, while they were at peace with Ineth, they did not appreciate his canine companion. Nish tore one blob, which appeared to be made of blood, to pieces, and the others ran deeper into the cave. If these were the most fearsome beasts in this cave, Ineth had just found himself a very comfortable home.

Having shelter and clothing secured, Ineth ventured out in the rain to forage amongst the herbs and berries for anything edible, or which could at least be brewed into something better than pondwater. His efforts were fruitful, yielding bloated tubers. Their seeds reserved for a seed cake, an easy source of nutrition which required little damage to the environment, and the tubers were brewed into a beer that Ineth found satisfying for the time being.

The new month came, and with Slade Ineth refocused his efforts on gathering enough blade weed to furnish his new home. The bench upon which he had made his clothes was repurposed to work with this wicker, and he walked again into the rain to scavenge for plants. Nish tracked down another blob, this one made of acid, and dispersed the mass of the strange creature, leaving behind a gemstone. When Ineth chained the dog at the entrance of his cave, he decided he would have to encrust the leash with the gems left behind by Nish’s kills.

The month of Felsite brought two more crystalline blob hearts, courtesy of Nish. The cave began to feel more like home as a bed was added, and Ineth was able to find spiderwebs deeper in the cave to craft a leash from. He encrusted it with the ruby from Nish’s first kill, and stationed Nith at the entrance to the cave. The poor beast would no longer be able to roam as far, but Ineth would feel much safer. There was the matter of what may have left those webs however...

The webs should not have been his primary concern. Nor the front door. A cave troll stomped out of the depths, and before Ineth could react the beast surprised him, and slammed him into a wall. His leg fractured, the troll relentlessly assaulted him, until Ineth Paintedsense the Hermit was no more.
My Area

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:42:18 pm »

Nice but how did you have access to the caves that fast?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:43:44 pm »

Cave, not cavern. Just embark on one. :)
My Area

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:50:48 pm »

Hmm never ever embarked on a cave before.

Foffy123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:26 pm »

Hmm never ever embarked on a cave before.
Vanilla DF defaults to [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0] so you won't see caves on the map during embark. I had no personal experience with caves until I started playing mods that defaulted to caves being visible. In the past, it was basically required to embark on one to have a successful Kobold embark with MDWF.

Of course, none of this applies to you if you don't play vanilla.

On-topic: I'll definitely be giving this a shot once I get bored of my human fortress.

Imeka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 01:49:46 pm »

My first hermit went melancholy due to lack of clothes. I could not take cotton cloth at embark - the only plant his Civ knew were bloated tubers. I took one piece of leather instead. I was a bit slow to get things going, so the hermit could only gather 3 silk-moth webs before it began to rain. He produced 3 silk cloth, but couldn't make a clothing set from it, the reaction was red. Meanwhile, his dog killed a forest imp, the hermit quickly butchered it, tanned its hide and got two leather. He made leather armor, greaves and boots, but he did not equip them (specifically assinged in military screen, replace clothing, exact matches, inactive = uniformed). I gave up on clothes and began burying regrets and carving a home until the inevitable happened.

My second hermit (genned new world, this time I could get cotton cloth on embark, took 4 and made clothing set without problem with one cloth left) is in his second summer and doing quite well. He has a moderately sized home dug out, some tiny farms planted and his entrance surrounded with a wall. The two migrant waves arrived while he was digging, so he did not witness them dieing, all the migrants are missing on the units screen. He did not bury the regrets left by the migrants with missing status, only those of the initial 6 he saw dieing and which are listed as dead. When I stationed him near the regrets of the missing there were no announcements that he found someone dead, he seemed not recognize the regrets as corpses of the missing migrants. By now all of them were stolen by rhesus maquaces.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 05:58:10 pm »

Good luck everyone. :)

Clothing is made in the Workbench (Cloth) or Workbench (Leather). I almost added wooden shoes as well, but that was too elvish. :P I had to disable clothing in the normal shops, otherwise all migrants would come with free clothing and leave piles of them around when they disappear.

I already got reports about the ore processor (its too much slag and not enough metal without one), so that will be added in some point in the future.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 02:43:08 pm »

((What can I say, I'm a masochist for challenges. So... Challenge accepted. Hard mode!

Incidentally, this is my first time playing Masterwork, so I have a large learning curve.))

Year 51, Age of Myths

I am Ustuth Lurshorast, or Ustuth Hatewired in the common tongue. For years I had studied a large variety of subjects. Mathematics, agriculture, animal husbandry, toxicology, you name it. But it wasn't until I took a class in Philosophy that I truly found a subject that fascinated me. I'm not sure what it was, but probably the discussions and theoretical questions intrigued me most. And still do.

As a graduate student I finally came up with this brilliant idea to verify, conclusively, that rational thought exists on an individual level and not a shared consciousness as has recently been proposed in literature. Admittedly the author argues quite validly that it is practically impossible to verify individually with any degree of certainty, and that only by examining the macroscale collective results of thought does it truly show evidence. My proposal was to address this practical impossibility and to make it into a concrete certainty.

In order to establish rational thought on an individual level I proposed the following set of assumptions that had to be made.
1. That only the individual's thought could be considered as valid, lest outside influence contaminate the reasoning.
2. All knowledge previously gained could only assumed to be true inasmuch as it is verified by the individual to comply with the percieved world around themselves.
3. Evidence of rational thought could only be measured as such by an accumulation of individual thoughts and actions over time. And time would illustrate the effects.
4. As a caveat, individual thought would have to be measured independently on multiple people, in order to disprove the null hypothesis. A sufficiently large sample size would be needed.

I myself proposed to be the test candidate, but during my dissertation defense there was some sort of accident. I do not recall exactly what happened. Some sort of explosion I think. My memory is only very vague for about a week.

Next thing I recall with any lucidity is travelling in my handcart with my dog. At least I assume he's my dog, since it's entirely possible he's just a construct of my imagination. There were other potential hallucinations as well. People, or I think they were. Again, it got a little fuzzy once we arrived at the coast. There was perhaps some sort of disagreement as to whether we should move on, or stay. The location seemed agreeable to me, though and I informed the others that I was staying, regardless of their decision. My dog agreed with me.

The first few days were a little fuzzy. It was cold, the air crisp and clear. All I had was the wood from my wagon, which I used to make a crude axe to get some additional lumber. I needed shelter, that was one priority. There were several lakes nearby for water, and berries for food. So I got to work.

A crude carpentry workshop was erected, and I smoothed some of the logs into proper boards to build the initial frame of my shelter, Rough-hewn fitted logs were used for my roof, they would weather better and resist decay longer than boards. Besides, there was still ice down at the beach, so I was quite sure I would need a solid roof.

I had never cut down trees before, so my knowledge was indeed put to the test, but it was not that difficulty in the loose soil and soon I had fashioned crude, fire-tempered wood tools as well, using rocks and available lumber. A craftsman workshop soon followed.

I think it was at least a few months before I even noticed I was naked. At first it didn't bother me. There was nobody around to see me.

And then I had some visitors. I assume they were visitors. Looked ugly and they knocked down my buildings, but left the framing for my shelter in place. Ugly matted wet greenish fur. They didn't pester me too much though. Kind of remind me of a math teacher I once had. Looked like a Toad.

I think I'll call them swamp trolls.

A month or two later I heard dog barking. Probably. I may have made it up and just went to investigate on my own. I must have tripped and hit my head since the next week is fuzzy as well. I woke up standing in the frigid ocean water up to my chest, there was a pinkish tinge in the water around me which creeped me out so I made quickly for shore. I didn't want to catch some funky algae based illness. Red tide right?

I did find a shiny new titanium axe and a few new sheep. Wierd for them to be out here. More funny hallucinations. Very disturbing but now that I'm awake again the sun helps assure me that things will be ok.

I drew an image on a piece of bark what my place looks like. I'm slowly improving it. I made a rudimentary pump out of wood to drain a lake nearby, just as a test of mechanical systems and will continue to check things out that I have learned previously.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had more bad dreams near the end of summer. I must have eaten some funny berries. More vivid hallucinations, and people and whatnot. They can't have been real.

I did find some more tools though. Funny, must have been a lumber camp up here somewhere. I found a black bronze axe and another titanium one in the woods. And a stray cow wandered into camp the other day as well.

Perhaps my mind is saying I need them. The cow would certainly taste good after all those berries. Maybe I need more variety. It's possible that the cow itself isn't real as well and that I'm just imagining that I've been eating too many berries.

On that thought, for all I know I'm lying in a coma in a hospital after the accident. Is anything I do truly real? How could I, as an individual possibly tell? Without a frame of reference I'm not sure I could. I'll have to think about this one. How can I create for myself a valid frame of reference, internally to use to gauge validity of existance?

Ok, winter is here. I've been very cranky because it's cold, the ocean and ponds have frozen and I'm still naked. Time to do something about it. I found a few bolts of cloth near the old wagon that I've used to make clothes. I still don't know if they are real, or even if the cold is real. I could be imagining it, but better safe than sorry in case I'm wrong. My rudimentary shelter is up, and I even have a bed, a small table and chair. Things are gradually improving and I managed to brew some sort of berry mash that I was able to ferment so it wouldn't freeze in this cold winter air. Thank goodness for chemistry and learning about azeotropic mixtures and the freezing point depression of mixtures. The freezing point of alcohol is just below -110 degrees celsius, so a concentrated perfect azeotropic mixture should freeze at roughly -80 or so, assuming the 80:20 ratio. No worries there, but what about 20:80? Would it freeze at -20? I suppose I can use the crystallization method to remove excess water and drive the alcohol content up closer towards ideal.

I has been a full year since I've been out here. I've hope I've finally put all my regrets behind me. I'm really looking forward to testing my hypothesis out here in the real world now that I've gotten Maslow's basic needs established. I still see occasional hallucinations but I'm finding them more tolerable now than I used to. They used to disturb me deeply but after writing this I feel much better.

((Incidentally, I have the same problem with unburied regrets. There were 6 regrets to start, then a migrant wave of 9, then 3 or 4 more. Only 12 fill coffins. Despite having more designated coffins I cannot do anything with the other regrets. Is that deliberate?

Images below for verification
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:58:33 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 01:29:26 pm »

Journal of Ustuth Lurshorast, Hermit

I find the solitude suits me. I just wish I had more time to think and write. I woefully overestimated my consumption rate of food and my previous comment regarding Maslows fundamental needs being fulfilled was drastically in error. I neglected to take into account that the ocean and lakes here freeze solid in winter and nearly ran out of useable drink. I was forced to brew my berry stash into alcohol to survive the winter, which means my food supply was severely short.

I could have probably butchered the animals but, honestly, I like them. They're my companions, and they deserve to live as much as I do. Dog mostly just wanders around, eyeing the local wildlife. The coyotes in particular. Actually, come to think of it I haven't seen dog for a while... I may have to go looking for him. I've heard that there are druids that commune with nature and are able to tame animals and that strikes me as a good thing. But mostly, I've been improving my house this year. I felt it was time to turn my lean-to into an actual home. I found that by setting up a log splitter I can greatly improve the amount and quality of lumber I produce so I have begun doing so and replaced my rough hewn board walls with smoothed wood planks, and moved the rough hewn boards to the roof as shingles. The logs were letting in too much water and were very drafty. I've even set up a place to write in my journal next to my bed, table and chair.

When summer finally came around I had largely completed the construction portions and was going to wash up in a pond when I heard a funny almost hissing noise and was suddenly rushed by a gibbering ugly monster covered in vegetation and hair. Another swamp troll, and it looks like it has taken up residence with my past. I fear to go down there, and confronting the thing in that place fills me with an unspeakable dread for some reason. As if I were better off leaving my past buried and gone.

I started picking berries and plants come summer and was doing well, in hopes that this upcoming winter would be better. Nature herself seems to be against me. As soon as I would store the food beside my little house the seagulls would come and steal it away! They made off with months worth of food that I had saved up! I'm so angry I'm almost tempted to fashion some crude weapons to shoot at them but in the end they left. I decided to move my food indoors, and underground so it wouldn't freeze in the winters here and fashioned a crude shovel out of wood to dig with. The crude entrance is next to my bed indoors so the gulls should not be so brazen as to enter there. While I was there I figured I might as well carve out some space to process the food and set up a crude kitchen, butchery, tannery, fish cleaning station (should I ever take up fishing in my spare time... should I ever have spare time), still and farm workshop. I also continued deeper to hollow out a place to store bits and pieces of things, bones, refuse and the like that might still be useful from time to time. Waste not, want not.

Summer and fall passed very quickly with all the preparations for winter and with the new stockpile I was able to preserve what I hope to be sufficient for winter. The freeze came early this year. Late fall. I tried to get in some last minute harvests before the snows came.

Winter was ... boring. I spent most of it processing the food I had picked over the last while. And even managed to ferment some excellent mash. I think I'll call the red one strawberry wine. The sour one will be prickleberry wine. The seeds I tried to chop, grind, roast in different ways. I even found some acorns to cook with them. I had some excellent strawberry seed croissants. Light, fluffy, flaky and tender. Made with nothing but seeds. I had some pancakes too, but they weren't as good. Maybe that's why I called them pancakes. Reminded me of the sporadic breakfasts my college roommate would make when his girlfriend spent the night.

Loud jerks.

They always spoke too loud and were too cheerful in the mornings too. Even when I wasn't nursing a hangover.

Still, I kinda missed the companionship so I decided that Bob should join me in my quest for truth. He's much better now than he used to be. He always was kinda spoiled and pampered. Overly cheerful and talkative too. He hardly says anything now. It's great. And I get so much more done now that there are two of us working.

We're clearing space in the drawing above for some more workshops. The surface is too exposed. Trolls and whatnot. It's easier to work in the semi-darkness here below without distractions. Peaceful. Quiet.

I think I was going a little stir crazy though come the end of winter. Too long spent cooped up. I hadn't seen the troll in months but I was sure he was hunkered down in that emptied lake, learning my secrets. I decided I had to confront my fears. I'd buried them once, and could do so again if need be. So with axe in hand (titanium of course) and a crude wooden buckler I confronted my foe.

He beat the snot out of me. What can I say, I'm an academic. I did get in a lucky hit though that finally decapitated the beast, but it was a close thing.

Lucky for me I'm a quick healer. Bob just shook his head and was muttering under his breath.

Unfortunately I'm an idiot.

I didn't get the body inside in time to butcher it and all that delicious troll-y goodness went to waste. I was able to save some bones though and made some crude braziers that I could use with pitch to light things below so I could work better though. That helped. Troll femur braziers. Or was that brazzierres? I wish I had my thesaurus. Still a good year, and now I should be able to branch out into proper research. I'm looking forward to it.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:11:10 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 01:58:24 pm »

Who is bob?
Pages: [1] 2