Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45392 times)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.09 Succession Game)
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2014, 10:27:46 pm »

The weapon traps weren't working, and they had a bowgoblin who could apparently 360 no scope anyone who tried to fire on him. Plus, the militia only had two members before the goblins came, so it made a net profit.

Situations like that (facing an invading party with an Elite Bowgoblin, and only 2 Dwarves are in the militia) are where you WAIT OUT the siege.  It's not like they posed any real threat- you had everything you needed for survival inside the fortress walls.

Was it an *ACTUAL* Elite Bowgoblin, or just a really skilled basic Goblin Bowman?  The difference is that ONLY the "Elite" Bowgoblins can shoot through fortifications they aren't standing directly next to.  If it was a basic Bowgoblin, the fortifications would have protected your Dwarves (that's why they were built in the first place)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Fortification

If you INSISTED on engaging the invaders, the safest way to do it would have been to mob that one Bowgoblin through the fortifications with a bunch of Marksdwarves (or Siege Operators on ballistae, if you wanted to be REALLY clever).  A dozen Marksdwarves probably could have taken him/her down with far fewer losses than engaging in melee combat.  From there, the rest of the goblins would have become mere targets to be potted with crossbow bolts at will.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Siege_engine

Your Dwarf's punishment still stands.  There was no reason to engage the Goblins when you could have just safely waited them out.

Finally, for the future, I *HIGHLY* recommend creating a well-drilled, well-equipped, cross-trained military to deal with future such threats.  Focus on training Marksdwarves, crafting high quality-level bronze helmets and breastplates/mail for them, and improving the fortification network (for instance with retracting bridges that allow you to safely rally a large number of Marksdwarves in one place before exposing them to enemy Elite Bowgolbins through the fortifications).  This is a MUCH better use of time than pointlessly "mining for gold" that we already know isn't there, or creating useless temples/shrines to Dwarven gods/goddesses...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cross-training

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2014, 06:39:23 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is why we need gold. Giant molten moving dragon statues. Like imagine if we can trap a bunch of those in a room? The volcano gods would be so impressed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:12:02 am by Taupe »

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:30 pm »

I can see the pictures in those spoilers and I'm currently on a different computer to the one I used to post the pictures, so I'm not sure why you can't see them.

The same reason as last time, the links you posted redirect to web pages now, so they won't show up as images.  The reason you can see them and we can't is likely because they're in your browser's cache.  Clear the cache and reload the page, and I bet they'll be gone for you too.  To prevent this in the future you either need to make sure you're grabbing the links properly, or you need to use a better image hosting site.

Anyways, here are the missing image links:

19th of Slate - Your URL

24th of Slate - Your URL

30th of Hematite - Your URL

2nd of Galena - Your URL

I could pull the image URLs from those webpages, but I can't promise they wouldn't break again.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:25:46 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2014, 09:23:35 pm »

I can see the pictures in those spoilers and I'm currently on a different computer to the one I used to post the pictures, so I'm not sure why you can't see them.

The same reason as last time, the links you posted redirect to web pages now, so they won't show up as images.  The reason you can see them and we can't is likely because they're in your browser's cache.  Clear the cache and reload the page, and I bet they'll be gone for you too.  To prevent this in the future you either need to make sure you're grabbing the links properly, or you need to use a better image hosting site.

Anyways, here are the missing image links:

19th of Slate - Your URL

24th of Slate - Your URL

30th of Hematite - Your URL

2nd of Galena - Your URL

I could pull the image URLs from those webpages, but I can't promise they wouldn't break again.

An artifact-quality STEEL spear (I think the utility of this is obvious), a legendary mechanism (great for impressive levers), and a Drarf whose spine is completely rotten?

This is the kind of information we *NEED* to have to give good advice, and plan for our turns.  Please use a better image-hosting site (like Imgur) in the future...

By the way, that Dwarf (Wacksonoff- I assume he was the Expedition Leader from before?) whose spine is rotten will eventually die of blood poisoning if he doesn't receive surgery to cut out the rotten tissue in/around his spine (although this process can take several years).  A proper hospital NEEDS to be an immediate priority, as does obtaining a good water source.  How come nobody's dug into the aquifer yet?  Nobody was playing with a modded version of DwarfFortress that disabled aquifers, were they?  (Starter Pack/Lazy Newb Pack will both tend to do this by default- you need to go into settings and make sure you didn't have this option enabled if you had one of these installed- although players were NOT supposed to be running either mod pack for precisely this kind of reason...)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:41:10 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:40 pm »

Furniture doesn't block dwarfs from smoothing/engraving.

I know it doesn't block smoothing, but I've definitely observed Dwarves failing to engrave a tile when there is furniture underneath it.

Peregarrett, it's your turn (and has been for more than 48 hours- you're lucky we haven't skipped you for your lack of responsiveness yet).  Could you show us a "Look" (k) screen of the bedrooms and what there current status is now- including whether they have been engraved?

If peregarrett doesn't confirm he has begun his turn in the next 24 hours (by 9:30 PM, August 30, Central Time), he will be skipped and the turn will pass to Edmus.  Edmus has 24 hours to confirm downloading the file and starting his turn (until 9:30 PM, August 31, Central Time) or he will be skipped and the turn will pass to Shadow of Fate (if this is too busy a time for you Shadow, let us know now- and I'll bump you in at the end of the list, and Meme will follow Edmus instead).

Also, after Shadow has announced whether he will be taking his turn on-time, I will be adding DoctorMcTaalik and myself to the end of the list for second turns.  If anyone else wants in on the turn order, let me know now- and your qualifications- as, after consulting with DoctorMcTaalik, I'm considering closing the fortress to new applicants for a bit so everybody gets a chance at a 2nd turn... (especially considering the number of turns that have been cut short)

Finally, DoctorMcTaalik, don't be afraid to remind players of their turn.  You *are* helping to co-host this thread after all, and you have just as much authority in running it as I do... (even if for the moment I've fallen into a position of being "first among equals"- this state of things need not remain so!)

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  That last bit gave me a chill down my spine, reminding me of the attempts of Marcus Aurelius to restore the Roman Republic...  Long live the Republic!  (Let me put it this way- if myself and DoctorMcTaalik are the "co-consuls" of this thread, and I am currently filling in as the "Dictator"- originally a temporary position in Roman Republic for centuries before Ceasar- you guys are the senators.  When I founded this thread, I meant for *everybody* to have a say, hence why we choose the Embark site democratically...)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:00:32 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2014, 10:23:00 pm »

In order to improve fortress administration, and dispel any airs that I intend to act as a King, I have decided to try and share the burden of administrating this succession thread a bit more.  Besides myself and DoctorMcTaalik acting as "co-consuls" (DoctorMcTaalik, I expect you'll try and take a more active role in the future if possible) of this fortress, I am looking for somebody to fill the following five positions (all named after positions in the Roman Republic)

Censor-  Will be responsible for monitoring players to make sure they take their turns at appropriate times, and empowered to skip delinquent players and hand the turn off to the next player in the turn order (though myself and DoctorMcTaalik will still act as backups to the Censor).  As a reward for putting forth the effort, the Censor will be given two votes in any issues the fortress decides to vote upon as a group.

Aedile-  Will be responsible for monitoring the state of fortress supplies and stockpiles (including food/drink, stone, wood, and fuel stockpiles), and advise players on their use.  Can call a vote upon, and will be empowered with two votes, on any issue regarding fortress production/trade.

Quaestor-  Will act as both an assistant to the fortress Aedile (it can become rather tiring constantly bugging players about what they are producing, or where they are storing things), and the official Fortress Artist (both the go-to person for player-created art, and responsible for monitoring the aesthetic of the actual fortress).  Can call a vote on any issue regarding fortress administration, but will receive no votes in the decision, unless it pertains to artwork/aesthetics.

Tribunes-  The two Tribunes (singular, Tribunus) will be responsible for overseeing the fortress military.  This means (1) ensuring that players are engaged in active training, equipment, and cross-training programs for the military; and (2) overseeing and advising in the actual use of the fortress military (including ensuring that players are NOT engaging in unnecessary battles).  Each Tribunus will be endowed with two votes regarding all fortress military issues, the ability to call votes on such issues, and limited executive power to oversee the military (this includes the ability to order players to revert saves after unwise and unnecessary military engagements that went badly, and the ability to dispense punishments if players ignore common sense and endanger the military/fortress against all reason...)

Please PM me if you are interested in one of these positions, and I will discuss the candidates (privately) with DoctorMcTaalik.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:39:17 pm by Northstar1989 »

Wacksonoff

• Bay Watcher
  • I just work here, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2014, 02:06:56 pm »

the way, that Dwarf (Wacksonoff- I assume he was the Expedition Leader from before?) whose spine is rotten will eventually die of blood poisoning if he doesn't receive surgery to cut out the rotten tissue in/around his spine

God damn it, how'd this happen?
This is an exceptional golden figurine of a Peregrine Falcon. All Maltese craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Baguette-cut diamonds. It is covered in black lacquer. The item is a masterfully designed image of a pointed cross. The pointed cross is the symbol of the Knights Hospitaller.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:36 pm »

the way, that Dwarf (Wacksonoff- I assume he was the Expedition Leader from before?) whose spine is rotten will eventually die of blood poisoning if he doesn't receive surgery to cut out the rotten tissue in/around his spine

God damn it, how'd this happen?

With humans, their palms grow fur and their eyes go blind - for dwarves, their spines get rotten.  It's a "genetics" thing.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2014, 09:53:04 pm »

Edmus- It is now your turn. You have 24 hours to confirm you have the save (technically, we should have skipped you by now, but I forgot to remind you), else the next player in line will be offered the save.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »

Just so you guys know, this week is a no go for me. I'm just too busy to put that required amount of time and energy on the fortress. So save yourself the trouble of waiting and skip me.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2014, 03:59:04 pm »

Edmus has also informed me he (or she) will be unable to play this round. That means it is on to Meme's turn.

As I understand it, the order for the next 10 turns should be:
Meme (1st turn)
Askarn (1st Turn)
Taupe (1st Turn)
DoctorMcTaalik (skipped, first turn)
Peregarret (skipped, first turn)
Edmus (Skipped, first turn)
Shadow of Fate (skipped, first turn)
Northstar1989 (second turn)
InfiniteCastor (second turn, first full turn)
Deus Asmoth (second turn)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:08:35 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2014, 07:23:20 pm »

Edmus has also informed me he (or she) will be unable to play this round. That means it is on to Meme's turn.

Meme (1st turn)
Askarn (1st Turn)
Taupe (1st Turn)

Sounds good, I'll update the turn order on the first page accordingly.  However, it has been 24 hours since your post informing him of his turn, so Meme has been skipped and added to the end of the list.

One small thing I'm going to change though- I'm pushing Peregarret to behind Deus Armoth in the turn order as he didn't even bother to send anyone a reply explaining why he couldn't take a turn as far as I know...

Askarn, per the usual, you have 24 hours to confirm download of the save- until 7:30 PM Central Time September 3rd.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:31:23 pm by Northstar1989 »

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
  • We must not allow a mineshaft gap
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2014, 04:50:39 am »

I've decided to go with the post-invasion save. Time will tell whether this was brave or foolish.

Watch this space

Edit 1:

Time very, very quickly showed going with the post-invasion save was foolish. The situation might be salvagable, but I don't have much experience warding off tantrum spirals. Plan B!

Edit 2:

28th Hematite 255

I assume power at a dark hour in the history of Pagetower. Part of the dread goblin horde stands outside our gate. Though it burns at my very soul to cower behind these walls, we do not yet have the strength necessary to defeat them.

Unfortunately, the defilers are not our only concern. Although we have plentiful supplies, we have no source of water whatsoever. For the moment practically any wound will prove a death sentence. Four of our number, including Northstar are already injured and I fear for them. Exploration of the caverns has provern fruitless, so the only hope is to continue exploratory mining. Two other dwarfs are ill, including Militia Commander Wacksonoff cling to life but even if we had water, they would not survive. The noxious fumes of a Forgotten Beast laid them low and only a miracle could help them now. Preparation for their burials have already begun, I can only hope that no one else will suffer the same fate as them.

The mission before me is clear; I must prepare Pagetower for war. Though we possess some weapons, precious few know how to wield them. We must use the power of the mountain to forge armament on a scale not seen before. We must set aside pottery and learn the way of the axe and the crossbow. And we must find water, so our brave warriors need not fear death at mere scratches.

In order to better secure the fortress, my first order is to seal off the caverns. With no water to be found there, it is currently an unnecessary distraction. This done, I shall set about reorganising the militia and equiping them better.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:05:50 am by Askarn »

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2014, 06:41:03 am »

Meme (1st turn)
Askarn (1st Turn)
Taupe (1st Turn)

Sounds good, I'll update the turn order on the first page accordingly.  However, it has been 24 hours since your post informing him of his turn, so Meme has been skipped and added to the end of the list.

One small thing I'm going to change though- I'm pushing Peregarret to behind Deus Armoth in the turn order as he didn't even bother to send anyone a reply explaining why he couldn't take a turn as far as I know...

Askarn, per the usual, you have 24 hours to confirm download of the save- until 7:30 PM Central Time September 3rd.

Regards,
Northstar
Dangit xD So close yet so far.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »

Well since Meme is apparently here, we can probably arrange for him to go right after Askarn. I honestly dont mind. I can easily see how various people skipping their turn in a row can result in the like, third guy in line to not immediately answer.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24