Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45432 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Agless World' (0.40.08 Succession Game)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 03:13:16 pm »

Brook: Jawsdissolved the Meal of Ignition. Water from there must be VERY TASTY.

I still think volcano is the best site, since it has shallow metal (probably iron ore, or at least copper), deep metal (probably cassiterite?) and a marble layer for steel production. Also, goblins mean a steady supply of goblinite.

Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 03:18:54 pm »

I've been invaded first-year by necromancers before, so anything but that; #5 is definitely my vote.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »

I'd vote for the necromancers or the reclaim, simply because having only elves for neighbours seems a bit boring.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »

Brook: Jawsdissolved the Meal of Ignition. Water from there must be VERY TASTY.

Yeah- I nearly broke up laughing when I saw the name of that brook!

At least Site #5 has a slightly more pleasant name for its water-source: Focusbound the Canker of Nurturing (though cankers are a rather nasty type of sore...)

I still think volcano is the best site, since it has shallow metal (probably iron ore, or at least copper), deep metal (probably cassiterite?) and a marble layer for steel production. Also, goblins mean a steady supply of goblinite.

If we settled there, we'd pretty inevitably have to dig straight into the earth, seal ourselves in, and not even *think* of coming to the surface for *quite* a while.

Not only are the goblins pretty dangerous (until we've got the Magma Kilns running full-steam to produce bricks for walls- the Very Deep Soil and presence of an Aquifer means digging for stone early on simply isn't practical), but the deep-Freezing temperatures are in themselves a hazard.  In *VERY* extreme cold (such as could actually be found there in the Winter), Dwarves can actually catch frostbite and even die of cold- *especially* if they're not properly clothed.  I've never seen it happen before, but I've also never before embarked so far south/north of the Freezing line on the map (the coldest site I ever built at was on the border between a Cold and Freezing biome- and was actually warm enough to get a general thaw for a few days each year)

Yes, in the *long run*, such a fortress has a lot of potential- due to the presence of Shallow Metal, an Aquifer (which also means we can produce an infinite supply of Obsidian), Clay, Goblinite, and probably also Sand in those Very Deep Soil layers.  But in the *short run*, I'm worried the cold, the lack of surface water (it's too cold for Murky Pools to thaw), the Magma-creatures, and the Goblins would probably wipe us out...

In OTHER NEWS OF NOTE, I've decided to go ahead and build a small outpost to the north of Site #5, where the stream Focusbound the Canker of Nurturing) hits the ocean.  That should make for an interesting little adventure on my part (I might even post a couple screenshots here of the site just before I retire it), and more importantly should increase the trade potential of any other site we choose by providing an Outpost Liaison (once again, hopefully- if I really understand how this game mechanic works) and a greater variety of Dwarven Caravan trade-goods for whatever site we eventually settle on...

It also, not-coincidentally, should make the ruins (or gloriously-retired community: just trying to be optimistic here) of any fort at Site #5 easier to find for future adventurers (probably headed East from the Elven/Necromancer area, since it's the only non-Goblin civilized area currently on the map)- just head east along the coast until you hit the outpost, then follow the stream north.  If you follow the *correct* branch of the stream (such that it retains the same name- Focusbound retains its name from Site #5 all the way to the ocean due to its being the largest tributary by that point) then you will hit Site #5, and whatever fort we decide to build there, if any.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:12:57 pm by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 04:06:51 pm »

I'd vote for the necromancers or the reclaim, simply because having only elves for neighbours seems a bit boring.

Boring?  Unlikely.  Just because we don't have a Forgotten Beast ROFL-stomping us or a pile of zombies raping us within 2 months of Embark doesn't mean we aren't going to have !FUN! (and if there was !FUN! that early, it would only actually be MY FUN, since I take the first turn- you'd never get the chance to take a turn before the fortress had descended into turmoil and the last dwarf died an agonizing death...)  :P

The abundance of tropical swamp-creatures (like alligators and hippos), Megabeasts, Semi-Megabeasts, Forgotten Beasts, hostile and underground creatures, and possibly even HFS at nearly all the other sites should keep us plenty-occupied.  Not to mention that even the best-designed fort in the safest location has a tendency to tear itself limb-from-limb when some poor bloke manages to fall to his death while mining early in the fort's history while people are still sleeping on the ground (setting off a tantrum-spiral), or some overseer forgets to brew enough booze or grow enough crops.  I don't think we'll be having any problems with things becoming "interesting" in the long run: even when playing *very* carefully in idyllic "Joyous Wilds", I've never yet had a fortress survive for more than 20 years...  :D

I'll keep your vote in mind (and the tally), though personally I'd strongly recommend the Volcano site if you're looking for more of a challenge, but want something that's actually got some long-term potential.

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.

I vote #5. If you need any help with rules and such, message me.

Yeah, I'm already thinking about how I'd like to handle deciding on an Embark Profile.  I'm writing you a PM about it now...

P.P.S.  And... SENT.  Let me know ASAP if you got it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:45:51 pm by Northstar1989 »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 05:01:27 pm »

I'm going to vote for a location with access to Goblins, or necros. We need some sort of challenge here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:44 pm »

This looks like it has a lot of potential. If you ask me, I think the volcano tundra site would be epic. It's a crazy environment, but at the same time gives you a lot. There's good resources, an aquifer for water, and very deep soil for underground farms. You have everything you need to deal with the freezing temps early game when you set up everything underground. Just bring a third pic to mine with, a bit of extra wood, and add a couple turkeys and pigs (at least one of each gender for breeding for both turkeys and pigs) for some good non grazing animals to help you out. The surroundings are calm so there shouldn't be too much early game to threaten you besides the Goblin sieges. Being a volcano, there is also likely to be fairly shallow magma. In theory, that would help with the goblins. It could also potentially help with the cold somewhat if you decide to go above ground. The other main problems are the lack of wood (which can be solved later on by caverns) and the cliffs. And the cliffs are nuts. But here's the thing. Even if you don't start up on the top, you could burrow your way up to the top and make that the main outside part of the fort anyway.

Anyway, that's my two cents for whatever it's worth. I'm not signing up to run the fortress for a turn at this point, but I'll definitely follow the story if it's at "The South Rage." The way I see it, anyone can set it up next to a necromancer tower for a zombie challenge or in an easy environment for a safe choice. But that particular volcano environment is fairly unique.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »

This looks like it has a lot of potential. If you ask me, I think the volcano tundra site would be epic. It's a crazy environment, but at the same time gives you a lot. There's good resources, an aquifer for water, and very deep soil for underground farms. You have everything you need to deal with the freezing temps early game when you set up everything underground. Just bring a third pic to mine with, a bit of extra wood, and add a couple turkeys and pigs (at least one of each gender for breeding for both turkeys and pigs) for some good non grazing animals to help you out. The surroundings are calm so there shouldn't be too much early game to threaten you besides the Goblin sieges. Being a volcano, there is also likely to be fairly shallow magma. In theory, that would help with the goblins. It could also potentially help with the cold somewhat if you decide to go above ground. The other main problems are the lack of wood (which can be solved later on by caverns) and the cliffs. And the cliffs are nuts. But here's the thing. Even if you don't start up on the top, you could burrow your way up to the top and make that the main outside part of the fort anyway.

Anyway, that's my two cents for whatever it's worth. I'm not signing up to run the fortress for a turn at this point, but I'll definitely follow the story if it's at "The South Rage." The way I see it, anyone can set it up next to a necromancer tower for a zombie challenge or in an easy environment for a safe choice. But that particular volcano environment is fairly unique.

You make a fairly good argument for the Volcano.  So why don't you sign up for a turn and vote for it?  It doesn't look like it's going to win otherwise, but you've made enough of a point for me to consider potentially swinging my vote that way if you sign up for a turn...

Keep in mind that you've got quite a few players ahead of you, and you could always allow other players to cut in front of you for their second turn before you take your first.  So you wouldn't have to actually play a turn for quite a while...

In other news, this is getting really slow, so I'm *STRONGLY* leaning towards just selecting the embark goods myself (since I have the first turn- I've already PM'd DoctorMcTaalik about it).  If things go *HORRIBLY* wrong, then DoctorMcTaalik could always Reclaim the site and try again on his second turn.  And I want to get PLAYING already once we decide on a common site (I'm wavering between Site #5 and the Volcano- and will probably make up my mind on which after I see how my outpost in the Scorching terrain by the sea north of Site #5 works out...)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:29:16 pm by Northstar1989 »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:40 pm »

I'm fine with you doing the embark points by yourself. If there's dorfings going on, I'll take pretty much anything that isn't a hunter or fisherman.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 07:12:24 pm »

You make a fairly good argument for the Volcano.  So why don't you sign up for a turn and vote for it?  It doesn't look like it's going to win otherwise, but you've made enough of a point for me to consider potentially swinging my vote that way if you sign up for a turn...

Keep in mind that you've got quite a few players ahead of you, and you could always allow other players to cut in front of you for their second turn before you take your first.  So you wouldn't have to actually play a turn for quite a while...
Well it's tempting to think about if I wouldn't have to play for a bit and if it would potentially sway in the direction of the volcano site. And I do like the two year rule for turns instead of one year. From reading older games of hand off forts, I feel like as soon someone started to do anything that the year would end and they would have to give it over. I think lack of continuity was the main problem in a lot of the other succession forts. This allows a little more continuity which will hopefully allow the fort to survive longer.

I just worry that late August and September (especially early on) might be a busy time for me, so there is a decent chance my hypothetical turn might come at a bad time in real life for me based on the timing of this fortress.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:15:34 pm by Shadow Of Fate »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 07:27:56 pm »

Well it's tempting to think about if I wouldn't have to play for a bit and if it would potentially sway in the direction of the volcano site. And I do like the two year rule for turns instead of one year. From reading older games of hand off forts, I feel like as soon someone started to do anything that the year would end and they would have to give it over. I think lack of continuity was the main problem in a lot of the other succession forts. This allows a little more continuity which will hopefully allow the fort to survive longer.

I just worry that late August and September (especially early on) might be a busy time for me, so there is a decent chance my hypothetical turn might come at a bad time in real life for me based on the timing of this fortress.
Don't worry about it. If you need to pass up a turn, we can add you in later.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »

Alright then. Sign me up and put my vote in for the volcano.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 09:55:39 pm »

Done, and done.  And I've changed my vote to the Volcano based on your compelling argument and after finding the seaside outpost (so our Dwarven civ- the Aqua Treaties, which I got the name of wrong before, can have a second site besides our fort) a bit less exciting than I hoped.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:57:13 pm by Northstar1989 »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 10:08:44 pm »

Done, and done.  And I've changed my vote to the Volcano based on your compelling argument and after finding the seaside outpost (so our Dwarven civ- the Aqua Treaties, which I got the name of wrong before, can have a second site besides our fort) a bit less exciting than I hoped.

Regards,
Northstar

Alright, just know- I'm not to be trusted with volcanoes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:33:09 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 07:33:50 am »

Alright, just know- I'm not to be trusted with volcanoes.

Given the game, I don't believe that'll be a problem.

More a solution, if anything.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:45:45 am by InfiniteCastor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24