Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45014 times)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.12 Succession
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2014, 10:03:08 pm »

I'm relieved you decided to deal with the crundles. The little heathen critters were growing out of control.

I know you don't put much value in stupid dwarf projects, Northstar, but with minimal effort those tunnels could be converted into some say, some  practical catacombs, or maybe a big labyrinth.

Hell, we could stick the cyclops in the middle if we went for the latter (as long as you chained him up, that is). Maybe even drop some crundles down there on occasion, for the war god Enam.

The Crundle problem isn't over yet.  We've still got a bunch more of the little buggers to butcher (I'm going to leave just the most tame ones), and especially with the invaders present, the framerate is dragging...  We've also got budding kitten, bunny, piglet, and even puppy problems...  The butchers and meat haulers are going to be BUSY tonight...

Given the current FPS, I'm worried even I might not be able to finish 2 years in the time allotted.  So I have no choice but to request a special extension to deal with the livestock population-explosions and the plummeting framerates in order to finish...

Regards,
Northstar

Alright, good luck.

I for one happily condone the mass slaughter of innocent baby animals. The little buggers would do the same to us, if they had opposable thumbs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:09:42 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.12 Succession Game)
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2014, 05:10:45 pm »

I apologize for the delay.  I didn't realize how slowly time would proceed with the current framerate...  In fact, I spent almost all my free time (and quite a bit of time I should have been doing other things) playing Dwarf Fortress over the past 48 hours, and still didn't manage to get through more than a year of in-game time.

I'm uploading the file now.  I probably won't have time to proceed further for the next few days, though I'd appreciate being able to go in on the second half of my turn relatively soon (I had a lot of things I had to leave unfinished)

Here is the save.  I've got to run now IRL, but will be posting a LOT of screenshots and "diary entries" relatively soon detailing what happened (this could take almost a day in itself).

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9723

If there is one thing you should know about the fortress before playing, though, it's that it recently survived a major tantrum spiral (only thanks to my determination and clever use of burrowing to keep some of the happier dwarves safe from the murderous ones).  The fortress is SEVERELY depopulated as a result (less than half the previous population), and there are still a few injured/unhappy Dwarves floating around and even a couple who are insane (all their friends are dead though).  Still, keep an eye out that things don't destabilize further, and AVOID MELEE COMBAT AT ALL COSTS.

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2014, 07:10:46 pm »

I apologize for the delay.  I didn't realize how slowly time would proceed with the current framerate...  In fact, I spent almost all my free time (and quite a bit of time I should have been doing other things) playing Dwarf Fortress over the past 48 hours, and still didn't manage to get through more than a year of in-game time.

I'm uploading the file now.  I probably won't have time to proceed further for the next few days, though I'd appreciate being able to go in on the second half of my turn relatively soon (I had a lot of things I had to leave unfinished)

Here is the save.  I've got to run now IRL, but will be posting a LOT of screenshots and "diary entries" relatively soon detailing what happened (this could take almost a day in itself).

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9723

If there is one thing you should know about the fortress before playing, though, it's that it recently survived a major tantrum spiral (only thanks to my determination and clever use of burrowing to keep some of the happier dwarves safe from the murderous ones).  The fortress is SEVERELY depopulated as a result (less than half the previous population), and there are still a few injured/unhappy Dwarves floating around and even a couple who are insane (all their friends are dead though).  Still, keep an eye out that things don't destabilize further, and AVOID MELEE COMBAT AT ALL COSTS.

Regards,
Northstar

I look forward to seeing those screenshots! I am anxious to see whether my dwarf pulled through.

If you want to postpone your turn until after Northstar's update, InfiniteCastor, I understand. In light of the recent hectic events, I don't think it would be fair to insist you jump in immediately. In the mean time-

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wOD9TWynM

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2014, 07:15:48 pm »

I look forward to seeing those screenshots! I am anxious to see whether my dwarf pulled through.

Nope.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you want to postpone your turn until after Northstar's update, InfiniteCastor, I understand. In light of the recent hectic events, I don't think it would be fair to insist you jump in immediately. In the mean time-

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wOD9TWynM

I *HIGHLY* recommend downloading the save now and starting to familiarize yourself with the fortress' situation (while paused) InfiniteCastor.  It's going to take a while to get a hold of everything that's changed.

Also, after seeing how slow progress is with the more mature fortress, I've become *strongly* in favor of extending turn times to a full 5 days from the posting of the last save.  It's simply too much to ask for somebody to play a full 2 years at the current framerates and level of complexity...

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:32:17 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2014, 07:41:38 pm »

You pick up a battered, blood-stained piece of paper in the fortress archives.  It reads "Fortress Logs- Year 257.  However the author's name is obscured by a large bloodstain.  Carefully, you begin to read the tattered document...

#^@&$... (obscured by blood)

I don't know how I ended up in charge of the fortress.  It all happened so quickly.

First, one of our masons panicked and jumped through a gap in the fortifications opened up while working on upgrading the gatehouse archery tower.  The goblins were on him faster than he could scream for help.  But then, reacting instinctively, Northstar- our brave leader- jumped down to try and save him.  It turned out to be a foolish decision- the dwarf was dead before he even hit the ground, and several other dwarves jumped down in turn to try and save Northstar in turn...

When the dust cleared, several dwarves lay dead, and the fortress was without its long-standing leader. Thus, the burden of leadership fell unto me, a mere %%@#dwarf... (obscured)

To make matters worse, one of the goblins somehow managed to scale the smooth brick walls and overhang leading to the hole in the defenses (carrying a 6-foot pike to boot!), and reached the main courtyard of the fortress- where he managed to cripple one of our Marksdwarves before his companions could come to his rescue...

Our Marksdwarves quickly sought revenge, however.  Soon, they began living up along the fortress walls and pelting the enemies below with crossbow bolts- starting with a large Troll...

I pray for the future of our fortress.  Without the wise leadership of Northstar, who knows how long we'll survive?

*The manuscript is unreadable past this point*
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:56:37 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2014, 08:15:20 pm »

Turning to a later page in the fortress logs, skipping several obscured by blood, you find the following entry:

The Marksdwarves have turned against us!

Angered by the loss of their brethren in the initial catastrophe of this siege, and severely nauseated by the bright light of the surface after years of living underground (curse those fool past overseers who buried the living quarters and barracks deep underground!), they have begun turning on each other and the rest of the fortress in fits of rage, and even attempted murder...

Some have merely turned on some of the semi-wild Crundles just downstairs from the gatehouse tower- saving out butchers the hassle of having to deal with them later... (but ruining perfectly good meat)

But others have turned on the civilians of the fortress- setting off a spiral of rage and murder that seems to know no end.  In the past weeks along, several dwarves have already gone Berserk in the hospital:

On top of all this, a great and fearsome creature has arisen from the depths!  Some of those lucky enough to have seen it and lived identify it as a great, towering armored "dinosaur" with 3 eyes, a horn, and a clubbed tail holding a poisonous sting:

Meanwhile, our military continues to blissfully slaughter the civilians of the fortress rather than their proper enemies- the Goblins and Trolls which lie in wait outside our gates, or the great armored beast lurking in the underworld...

In the midst of all this, the fortress' architects and engravers have come up with a plan to beautify the fortress catacombs- which all predict will soon be full to overflowing- with a series of engravings into the marble pillars supporting them...

Wisely, they also saw it fit to improve the hospital by smoothing the walls and floor.  Some say this might reduce the chance of infection (although their reasoning for this is questionable).  Others insist that the main benefit will be ensuring the nurses do not have to sleep on dirty, rough cavern floors if they collapse of exhaustion while going to feed their patients (which with the great carnage throughout the fort of late, has become a common occurrence), thus reducing the chances of their turning in rage on the very injured dwarves they seek to heal and care for...

The rest of this scroll is obscured by strains of blood and gore.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:49 pm »

This seems to be the dirties and most bloodstained of all the scrolls.  Curious as to why, you pick it out and struggle to read it...

These are dark times.  The military continues to slaughter innocent civilians at will (curse those underground barracks!  One of Northstar's last pieces of advice before jumping was to make sure the military is NEVER stationed underground for such long periods of time again...) and even our cats are not safe- if they do not get brutally murdered by a tantruming soldier back from a shift on the wall shooting at goblins, they jump down to the goblins themselves- and are promptly beheaded!

A portion of this scroll is obscured by a large and particularly nasty-looking splotch of dried gore.

Today, the Captain of the Guard took a hammer to the head.  Some strange idea possessed him that it was a GOOD idea to jump down to meet the goblins head-on.  He was promptly pulped by a warhammer- against which even his dense bronze helmet provided little protection...

Several more paragraphs are obscured by another patch of gore...  You aren't sure how so much gore got on the fortress log manuscripts- perhaps the gore was spattered across them when they were being written, or perhaps there was a particularly brutal set of murders here in the archives room- which would explain the restless ghosts drifting through some of the hallways in this section of the fortress.

The military continues to slaughter dwarves at will...  It is reaching the point where they are a more effective combat force against the dwarves of our own fortress, than against the enemies outside the walls.  Many Marksdwarves are now too busy throwing fits to pick up additional ammunition...

However it is not just the military that is dangerous now.  It has reached the point where not even the catacombs are safe- recently a dwarf went berserk in there after hauling a body to its final resting place...

However he wandered close to the barracks in his search for dwarves to kill, and was quickly dealt with by the remaining soldiers who were still functional enough to use their spears on threat to the fortress rather than each other...

The hospital, meanwhile, continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the fortress.  Recently one of the nurses went berserk in there, and nearly killed several recuperating patients:

One of the patients went berserk soon after that- upset by his recent injuries.  But he was far too weak to cause much damage...

The rest of the fortress is little safer though.  Recently, another dwarf went berserk between the cistern and unused arena, and managed to injure several dwarves before the remnants of our military was able to deal with him:

Another dwarf, meanwhile, lost his marbles in the dining hall and started trying to kill people- but was dogpiled by a number of dwarves who just wanted to eat their food in (relative) peace...

The remainder of this scroll in unreadable due to blood and gore...

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »

This scroll looks, cleaner, somehow, than many of the older manuscripts.  It is written by a different author than the ones before it, and bears the stamp of a fortress scribe rather than an overseer.  It is also one of the first with a readable date.  Although there are still patches of dried blood spread across the pages, more of it is readable.  The entries are infrequent and the author is short of words, however, as if he seems in a hurry to go to other tasks...

3rd Limestone, 257

Things are starting to look up.  Although the orgy of violence continues, the goblins have been driven away from the fortress by our Marksdwarves.  Most of them lie dead, pin cushioned full of crossbow bolts...

11th Limestone

Things continue to look up.  Although our numbers continue to dwindle, more of the dwarves losing their minds are now stripping off their clothes and running through the halls naked rather than taking a pickaxe to the nearest dwarf's skull.  However, a small, unhappy child began to stalk silently through the hallways and collect pieces of bone and gore; and then hauled them all to the Butcher's Shop.  His surviving relatives are worried about him...

14th Limestone

The dwarf Asmoth lost his mind today and went into a blind rage, yelling about how he was going to "kill us all"...  However he choose the militia barracks as his object of rage- which didn't bode well for him when he was quickly slaughtered by a number of heavily-armored Speardwarves engaged in Individual Combat Drills...  He was quickly and easily dealt with.

19th Limestone

The small child I wrote about earlier has begun a mysterious artifact.  Who knows what he might produce?  Hopefully it will be a worth silver lining to the misery the fortress is currently going through...

I have received orders from the interim overseer to open the gates to the caverns, however.  He says that it is better we face the Forgotten Beast there now, while we still have enough strength to defeat it, than risk it breaking in and claiming the fortress for its own if we have to abandon it later due to the damage being wrought by this orgy of murder and violence...

There is a small patch of dried blood obscuring the date here...

The child I wrote of earlier has created a masterful iron bracelet, encircled in many rings of bone.  Interesting, and beautiful, but not exactly the kind of thing anybody was hoping for...  A cage or a door would have been better...

25th Limestone

The militia dwarves bravely faced the Forgotten Beast today, and won!

At first it didn't look pretty, but after a few well-aimed spear strikes (I can almost hear Northstar's voice now saying "I told you so"- he made a great point of reminding us of the effectiveness of heavily-armored Speardwarves against large and fearsome creatures such as fleshy Forgotten Beasts...) even the children were dogpiling onto the thing, eager to say they landed the killing blow!

Even the best armor has chinks and holes in it however, and the great dinosaur-like monster managed to sting one of our soldiers through a chink between his helmet and mail shirt.  Two other dwarves it slaughtered by delivering fearsome kicks that even the best of adamantite helmets could hardly have hoped to stop...

What matters most, though, is that at the end of the day the creature lay dead, and our dwarves victorious.  Even if the fortress were completely abandoned now, this creature could never lay claim to it as its own...

The overseer promptly directed us to seal back up the gate to the caverns after the fight...

The scroll ends here, but there are several more in the archives...

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2014, 09:18:00 pm »

This scroll is clean, but hastily scrawled.

The glassmakers made a great new discovery today- they could make pots for food and booze out of nothing but magma and sand!

The overseer promptly relaxed his restrictions on the use of stone for many purposes- although he still insists we should save large amounts of it for memorial slabs and rock mechanisms...

Meanwhile, another child seized a workshop in a strange mood.  This one produced something useful, however- a great masterfully-crafted cage made out of the bones of the last Forgotten Beast!

I say the *last* forgotten beast, however, because another one has arrived.  This one is a great, winged earthworm.  That doesn't sound particularly terrifying, but our soldiers point out that means it has no limbs to hack off, few internal organs to pierce, and is capable of flying through any gap in our defenses.  It also has a poisonous sting...

Luckily, our defenses are impervious even to a flying monstrosity such as this:

Meanwhile, another of the fortress' children seized a Tanner's Wokshop some time ago.  Worryingly, though, he sits there without doing anything...

12th Malachite

We're lucky we sealed the caverns.  Recently, a Forgotten Beast even more fearsome than the earthworm!  This one has four legs, is made out of pure green glass, and is capable of blasting its enemies with a dangerous dust...

Worryingly, soon after it arrived there were reports of the echoes of a cave-in sounding from the caverns.  Some dwarves worried the beast might somehow be tunneling through the rock towards our fortress.  However, there were no further reports of the beast after the cave-in, so it appears it may have actually accidentally crushed itself under a section of cavern rock- however it may have triggered the collapse in the first place thus being highly irrelevant...

A splotch of mud obscures the signature and date at the end of the scroll, which terminates here...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:26:46 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2014, 09:45:03 pm »

This scroll appears to be little more than a hastily-scribbled note.  The date on the first section is illegible due to poor handwriting.  It appears whoever wrote this had plenty of other things to attend to...

The situation is the fortress has stabilized greatly.

The orgy of violence and murder seems to have come to an end- the majority of the dwarves involved now being dead.  Several new waves of migrants helped to replace them, however, and a few dwarves without friends in the rest of the fortress managed to survive the chaos through isolating themselves in the semi-secure area to the south of the main fortress walls... (That plan worked for them until a tantruming dwarf stormed outside the walls and killed two of their number- setting off a tantrum spiral in miniature.  But by that point several groups of new migrants had arrived at the main fortress, and the situation there had stabilized...)

We are still finding dead bodies around the fortress here-and-there.  But the main danger has passed, and the last goblin siege repulsed...

4th Limestone

We're through the heart of the storm, but all is not clear yet.  Another goblin siege has arrived, just as the interim overseer is preparing to retire for the time being.  Luckily, there are no gaps in the defenses for idiotic dwarves to jump through this time (the gatehouse upgrades having been completed since the last siege).

The only REAL danger to the fortress at this point is a second wave of the kind of violence that occurred before- if future overseers manage to upset the dwarves, who are still rather quite on edge (we still have a relatively harmless isolated tantrum or two now and then).  Barring that possibility, it's a simple matter of lining up the marksdwarves on the lowermost level of the fortifications (where the new outbuilding was recently constructed) and pelting the invaders with =Pig Bone Bolts= until they decide to leave.

The gate was also sealed in a rather hurry.  It's been sealed with walls rather than with a bridge, to keep the invaders out.

The overseer says that the job to connect the bridge up to the lever had to be "suspended" halfway through, as the second mechanism selected for the purpose is currently located outside the walls.

He recommends that the next overseer simply drive off the goblins with crossbow bolts (by stationing the dwarves near the wall on the *lowermost* level with fortifications, where they are protected from the snow and any possibility of return-fire by a roof overhead), and then "un-suspend" the task after deconstructing the wall segments blocking the gate to the fortress.  He says this will save on time and mechanisms rather than cancelling the job, having to de-construct the bridge (to recover the mechanism already inserted into it- it wouldn't make sense to leave a perfectly good mechanism sitting there useless now, would it?), and then re-build the bridge and start the linking job over from scratch...

The scroll ends here.  No further scrolls can be found in this section of the archives, as the sections are organized by overseer term rather than years of the fortress...

OOC:  I hope you guys enjoyed the updates.  Like I said, MAKE SURE to attack the goblins from the LOWERMOST level of the fortifications.  There are still some gaps in the defenses where they can receive return-fire on the upper levels, and the Marksdwarves will be less accurate from higher up anyways...

Also, here's an image of the bedrooms- which I've been renovating.

I moved the gold statues from the hallways to the bedrooms, because they'll do a lot more to promote dwarven happiness there.  Not only do owned objects count for 2x as many points when generating happy thoughts, happy thoughts are based mainly on quality-level than on material (unless the dwarf has a preference for that material).  So golden statues of low quality like this are more useful in the rooms, where they lead to higher room-value and the accompanying happy thoughts from that, whereas masterpiece Earthenware Statues are much more useful in the hallways than low-quality golden ones... (although they're still highly useful in improving room value).

I've also moved all the memorial slabs into the dwarven bedrooms- once again because they're more useful in improving room value there (a high-value bedroom automatically generates happy thoughts every time a dwarf sleeps there) than in generating happy thoughts (most of them are of low quality, and so won't generate any at all).

Through this, I've managed to improve room quality to the "Grand Bedroom" level for a number of rooms- the only higher level is "Royal Bedroom" (which it might be wise to reserve for the Duke/Monarch, if we ever get one...)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Room#Quality

Note that having a "Grand Bedroom" generates the "Slept in a Fantastic Bedroom" thought:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thought#Accommodations

InfiniteCastor, your turn.  Don't worry, it's not as bad as it looks/sounds- the fortress should be perfectly stable by this point as long as you don't do anything stupid, minus an occasional tantrum or two (which you can easily control by locking up the offending dwarf in his/her room or a jail cell).  I'd also like to give you (and everyone to follow in similar fashion) 5 days from *this post* to complete your turn, if DoctorMcTaalik and everyone else is alright with that.

Regards.
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:37:01 pm by Northstar1989 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2014, 10:36:27 pm »

Great updates, and good job salvaging the chaos that plagued Pagetower.

I'm not exactly sure how the previous Oracle perished tho. What matters is that a new Oracle of flame be chosen. he shall take the nickname of ''Ashes'', and be selected among the new migrants, just take the most fervent follower of our beloved volcano deity. Now that we know we can make pots and stuff out of magma, just make him a glassblower I guess.

May i suggest that we start planning for a magma moat around our walls? This would prevent further wall climbers, and we have an artifact floodgate anyway. Setting up the whole thing wouldnt be that dangerous thanks to nearby volcanic pools, and an impervious floodgate without the need for adamantine.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kogan .Bloodmountains, final days
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2014, 01:43:06 am »

I decided to make some fortress art, and then I decided I wanted to write my dwarf a conclusion. Here's both.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This scroll appears to be little more than a hastily-scribbled note.  The date on the first section is illegible due to poor handwriting.  It appears whoever wrote this had plenty of other things to attend to...

The situation is the fortress has stabilized greatly.

The orgy of violence and murder seems to have come to an end- the majority of the dwarves involved now being dead.  Several new waves of migrants helped to replace them, however, and a few dwarves without friends in the rest of the fortress managed to survive the chaos through isolating themselves in the semi-secure area to the south of the main fortress walls... (That plan worked for them until a tantruming dwarf stormed outside the walls and killed two of their number- setting off a tantrum spiral in miniature.  But by that point several groups of new migrants had arrived at the main fortress, and the situation there had stabilized...)

We are still finding dead bodies around the fortress here-and-there.  But the main danger has passed, and the last goblin siege repulsed...

4th Limestone

We're through the heart of the storm, but all is not clear yet.  Another goblin siege has arrived, just as the interim overseer is preparing to retire for the time being.  Luckily, there are no gaps in the defenses for idiotic dwarves to jump through this time (the gatehouse upgrades having been completed since the last siege).

The only REAL danger to the fortress at this point is a second wave of the kind of violence that occurred before- if future overseers manage to upset the dwarves, who are still rather quite on edge (we still have a relatively harmless isolated tantrum or two now and then).  Barring that possibility, it's a simple matter of lining up the marksdwarves on the lowermost level of the fortifications (where the new outbuilding was recently constructed) and pelting the invaders with =Pig Bone Bolts= until they decide to leave.

The gate was also sealed in a rather hurry.  It's been sealed with walls rather than with a bridge, to keep the invaders out.

The overseer says that the job to connect the bridge up to the lever had to be "suspended" halfway through, as the second mechanism selected for the purpose is currently located outside the walls.

He recommends that the next overseer simply drive off the goblins with crossbow bolts (by stationing the dwarves near the wall on the *lowermost* level with fortifications, where they are protected from the snow and any possibility of return-fire by a roof overhead), and then "un-suspend" the task after deconstructing the wall segments blocking the gate to the fortress.  He says this will save on time and mechanisms rather than cancelling the job, having to de-construct the bridge (to recover the mechanism already inserted into it- it wouldn't make sense to leave a perfectly good mechanism sitting there useless now, would it?), and then re-build the bridge and start the linking job over from scratch...

The scroll ends here.  No further scrolls can be found in this section of the archives, as the sections are organized by overseer term rather than years of the fortress...

OOC:  I hope you guys enjoyed the updates.  Like I said, MAKE SURE to attack the goblins from the LOWERMOST level of the fortifications.  There are still some gaps in the defenses where they can receive return-fire on the upper levels, and the Marksdwarves will be less accurate from higher up anyways...

Also, here's an image of the bedrooms- which I've been renovating.

I moved the gold statues from the hallways to the bedrooms, because they'll do a lot more to promote dwarven happiness there.  Not only do owned objects count for 2x as many points when generating happy thoughts, happy thoughts are based mainly on quality-level than on material (unless the dwarf has a preference for that material).  So golden statues of low quality like this are more useful in the rooms, where they lead to higher room-value and the accompanying happy thoughts from that, whereas masterpiece Earthenware Statues are much more useful in the hallways than low-quality golden ones... (although they're still highly useful in improving room value).

I've also moved all the memorial slabs into the dwarven bedrooms- once again because they're more useful in improving room value there (a high-value bedroom automatically generates happy thoughts every time a dwarf sleeps there) than in generating happy thoughts (most of them are of low quality, and so won't generate any at all).

Through this, I've managed to improve room quality to the "Grand Bedroom" level for a number of rooms- the only higher level is "Royal Bedroom" (which it might be wise to reserve for the Duke/Monarch, if we ever get one...)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Room#Quality

Note that having a "Grand Bedroom" generates the "Slept in a Fantastic Bedroom" thought:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thought#Accommodations

InfiniteCastor, your turn.  Don't worry, it's not as bad as it looks/sounds- the fortress should be perfectly stable by this point as long as you don't do anything stupid, minus an occasional tantrum or two (which you can easily control by locking up the offending dwarf in his/her room or a jail cell).  I'd also like to give you (and everyone to follow in similar fashion) 5 days from *this post* to complete your turn, if DoctorMcTaalik and everyone else is alright with that.

Regards.
Northstar

I agree with Taupe, that was a great series of updates. And yes, increasing the amount if time allotted for each turn is a wise decision.

Great updates, and good job salvaging the chaos that plagued Pagetower.

I'm not exactly sure how the previous Oracle perished tho. What matters is that a new Oracle of flame be chosen. he shall take the nickname of ''Ashes'', and be selected among the new migrants, just take the most fervent follower of our beloved volcano deity. Now that we know we can make pots and stuff out of magma, just make him a glassblower I guess.

May i suggest that we start planning for a magma moat around our walls? This would prevent further wall climbers, and we have an artifact floodgate anyway. Setting up the whole thing wouldnt be that dangerous thanks to nearby volcanic pools, and an impervious floodgate without the need for adamantine.

I am quite hesitant at the thought of making Moldath's daughter bleed unnecessarily. I would not recommend trying a magma moat unless you are completely confident in your own abilities. It would not do to have the whole tundra submerged in magma.

I personally will probably wait to ask for re-dorf until I feel the time is right. I'm not sure whether I'll continue with the High Priest of Moldath thing or not (you seem to have the fanaticism covered with your Oracle of Fire).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:02:51 am by DoctorMcTaalik »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2014, 11:35:32 pm »

I still haven't heard anything from InfiniteCastor stating he has received the download and is beginning his turn (I never stated how much of the 120 hours for the turn would be allowed to confirm download of the save, but 48 hours sounds reasonable to me).

I don't want to skip him, since he was already skipped before, so would anyone object to me re-loading the save and trying to finish a little more of my turn if we don't hear from him soon?

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:37:22 pm by Northstar1989 »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2014, 03:49:12 am »

I doubt there'd be any problems with that.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2014, 12:46:54 pm »

I doubt there'd be any problems with that.

OK, well you're next in the turn order after InfiniteCastor, so if you're OK with it then I'll re-continue the save.

Update to come soon.

Regards,
Northstar

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24