Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45490 times)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.12 Succession Game)
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2014, 08:14:14 pm »

I present the final save for my second turn (having been given the extra time to finish the 2nd year of my second turn while we waited to hear from Deus...)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9753

Fortress logs coming SOON (TM)

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »

Walking into another room, you find the journals of the first fortress surgeon.  His accounts are simple, humble, and neatly written.  You skip the first couple paragraphs detailing how he arrived at The Mint Pillar, and his early days there, and begin when there previous archives left off...

Goblins lurk outside the walls, and monsters below it, but here in the fortress we have found some measure of peace and calm...

The latest news is that one of the great beasts slew the other in the caverns beneath the fortress.  I guess we know which was the stronger now:

A dwarf also claimed a Craftsdwarf's Workshop after the latest Goblin siege left, and began construction of a great artifact:

Well, a stone figurine.  But he seemed rather happy with his handiwork, and I guess that counts for something...

More beasts come to take the place of those that fall quicker than ever, though- so I am sure the beasts slaying each other counted for little:

This concludes the first page of notes.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2014, 08:42:40 pm »

You flip to another entry of the surgeon's notes, and begin reading:

More migrants arrived today.  The fortress is booming, and dwarves are flocking to it from all around to share in its prosperity:

The fortress laborers could use the help.  They are busier than ever lately:

I am sure there will be many more migrants in the future:

This concludes the second page of notes.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2014, 08:53:36 pm »

You turn to a third page of the surgeon's journal.  This one is written in a slightly shaky handwriting, as if the author had recently been through a frightening experience.

The greatest danger to our fort, it appears, is ghosts.  Just last week, one ushered in the beginning of a series of hauntings by frightening a poor puppy to death.  Since then, dwarves have reported dizziness, howling spirits at night, and our poor mayor's guts even mysteriously spilled out for no apparent reason (some witnesses claimed that they saw a ghost gut him...)  I fear the ghosts less than I fear the paranoia and violence that may erupt among our dwarves if this situation is not contained.

The miners and interim overseer seem to agree- they recently began excavating out two new sections of catacombs to put the wyaward spirits to rest...

A ranger also began acting strangely recently, and produced another artifact (this time a stone earring).  He claims he was possessed by a departed spirit that never fulfilled its wish of creating an artifact while in the flesh, and has no memory of how he actually made the thing...

I fear for the mental health of our dwarves with everything being attributed to departed spirits like this, but soon the catacombs will be complete.  Hopefully that will put their minds at ease- and we'll celebrate with a gigantic party!

Despite all its troubles, this fortress is now a beacon of peace and prosperity in a cold, unforgiving arctic wasteland.  I hope it remains that way for many years to come, and that my skills are never needed beyond the occasional mining accident...

I will say my prayers to the gods of light and forgiveness that I may not suffer a fate like the similarly-named brick-maker who once led this fortress.

Regards,
Sir Northstar von Latvium

P.S.  If you'd be so kind, please consider dorfing me as the surgeon who is set up in the NW tower of the fortress.  Use the name "NorthstarVL" as a shorthand for this slightly different character name.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:59:00 pm by Northstar1989 »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2014, 08:56:58 pm »

I guess I'll confirm I'm available to play a turn, subject to Castor not taking the fortress for a spin.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »

I guess I'll confirm I'm available to play a turn, subject to Castor not taking the fortress for a spin.

Just download the save.  InfiniteCastor has had well longer than the normal period of time to get the save, and still hasn't bothered to say anything around the thread.  He'll have to go later.

I look forward to your report!  Remember, you have 5 days.

Regards,
Northstar

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:41 pm »

My campaign promises were few: I will not let anyone get killed by goblins, I will not embezzle thousands of urists for personal gain, and I will ensure the personal happiness of every dwarf in this great fortress. Some would say that these promises were unrealistic, foolish even. Perhaps they ar correct. I doubt they could have done any better in my position, though.

- From the memoirs of Melek, former overseer, first paragraph.

The first proper entry will be up by this evening. Senseless deaths will be kept to a minimum.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2014, 02:17:42 am »

Man, this fort has everything! Ghosts, caverns, giant Kaiju doing battle in said caverns... What more could you ask for?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2014, 02:54:45 am »

Man, this fort has everything! Ghosts, caverns, giant Kaiju doing battle in said caverns... What more could you ask for?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEizJ-TWua0
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:58:34 am by Taupe »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »

From the memoirs of Melek, first chapter.

The first thing I discovered upon taking the reins of Pagetower was a strange child, who seemed to be missing a somewhat vital family member:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Setting that aside, I went on with attempting to just be generally sane and contributive to the fortress' well being. The large number of corpses lying around was to be my first order of business. My predecessor had started well, entombing most of our fallen citizens, but they left the bodies of our slain animals and enemies lying around to fester. The best way to remedy that seemed to be with lava, so I had a small stairway built to a height above the lip of the volcano that would prevent splashback setting anyone on fire, hopefully. This would also prove to be a useful way to get rid of the vast majority of things we had no use for, like old clothes, rotten produce and prisoners.

My next worrying discovery was that everyone in the fortress was apparently assigned to three or four skilled labours each, resulting in jobs being done slowly and poorly. There wasn't really much I could do about this other than on a case by case basis when I ran into dwarves in the hallway. I guess I needed some therapy to do group oration.

Our new POW handling initiative:

As Hematite continued, we found an engraver by the name of Momuz Thobibel dead of dehydration. I could only assume that he was refusing to drink, as we had both water and alcohol on offer. Shortly after this, I made a somewhat controversial descision. Owing to there only being one person in our militia, and few dwarves with any military training, I added some of the miners we had lying around to the ranks. They proved to be... effective in a training exercise.

Not much happening really. I didn't get much further than the end of Hematite, mostly because I spent a fair chunk of that time designating things to be melted or dumped.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:12:35 pm by Deus Asmoth »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2014, 10:02:47 pm »

I had a small stairway built to a height above the lip of the volcano that would prevent splashback setting anyone on fire, hopefully. This would also prove to be a useful way to get rid of the vast majority of things we had no use for, like old clothes, rotten produce and prisoners.

You're kidding me, right?  Withered plants disappear on their own, and aren't worth tossing.  Meat/cheese/eggs should be stored in a food stockpile at all times anyways, where they won't decay- and will also disappear in the rare instance they do manage to rot (so aren't worth exposing our Dwarves to Goblin archer fire as the current set-up you've built does...)  And prisoners have an EXCELLENT use- just find a way to safely dump them down into the caverns, and let them duke it out for their lives with the Forgotten Beasts there...

Old clothes shouldn't be destroyed either.  Quantum Stockpile them near the main gate, and trade them to the first trade depot to make it inside the fortress...  Saves on labor vs. having to create entirely new trade goods later on.

My next worrying discovery was that everyone in the fortress was apparently assigned to three or four skilled labours each, resulting in jobs being done slowly and poorly. There wasn't really much I could do about this other than on a case by case basis when I ran into dwarves in the hallway. I guess I needed some therapy to do group oration.

Labors are spread thin intentionally, for two EXCELLENT reasons:

(1)  It minimizes the chance of a dwarf sitting idle.  Not only does this give them the chance to make friends- which puts the whole fortress at greater risk of a tantrum spiral- it also will eventually represent increased productivity if they manage to live long enough to attain a high degree of mastery in their 3-4 skills.

(2)  It reduces the damage to the fortress if any individual dwarf is lost.  Except for a couple highly-specialized professions like metalworking and medicine (which you'll notice there are relatively few dwarves assigned to) where skill level is the most important factor, generally a short-term loss of quality/speed is worth the long-term protection against "putting all your eggs in one basket"- especially when that basket happens to be an explosively-unstable, booze-soaked one with a long beard...

Our new POW handling initiative:[/i]

Once again, bad idea.  You don't want to risk Dwarven lives so soon after the last tantrum spiral, do you?  The current strategy needlessly exposes Dwarves to Goblin archers (and spotting goblins and running off the wall into the lava in a panic- which apparently is still not fully fixed yet).  Just designate some more cage/animal stockpiles, forge some more green glass cages ("aquariums"), and store up the prisoners until you can find a way to feed the prisoners to the Forgotten Beasts (they even might do some damage to the beasts if you don't disarm them first).  And demolish that darn staircase over the volcano lip.

As Hematite continued, we found an engraver by the name of Momuz Thobibel dead of dehydration. I could only assume that he was refusing to drink, as we had both water and alcohol on offer. Shortly after this, I made a somewhat controversial descision. Owing to there only being one person in our militia, and few dwarves with any military training, I added some of the miners we had lying around to the ranks. They proved to be... effective in a training exercise.

The problem is that there is still relatively little booze compared to the population, and few buckets to draw water.  If all the available barrels/pots/buckets are currently being used, the dwarf will cancel his/her "drink" job and go do something else rather than wait for a turn.  I suggest replanting the farms (the infrastructure got badly damaged during the tantrum spiral, and I demolished what was left so we could select a better farming area elsewhere) before the booze runs out completely, and brewing up a bunch more booze...

And, like I said, get rid of that staircase.  I've suggested superior alternative uses for the clothes and prisoners.  The rotten food doesn't really matter- dump it in the indoor (but aboveground) refuse stockpile if you have to (and it's not in a pot/bag/barrel- which will be damaged by the refuse stockpile).

If you want a direction for future growth/expansion, I *strongly* suggest constructing (out of earthenware bricks) some new luxurious bedrooms in the above-ground section of the fortress.  Build up rather than out or down.  Cave-adaptation already proved to be a MAJOR issue during the last siege- and was one of the main reasons the crossbow militia turned on the civilians (they had spent years training underground, never seeing the light of day, and were quite nauseated by the light).  We are also short of housing, as I decided to drastically reduce housing density in order to improve housing quality.  There is a need for more Grand Bedrooms on the upper levels of the fort (placing gold and decorated-earthenware statues is an easy way to raise the quality level of constructed rooms)

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  See those red and blue boxes on the screenshot of the Troll being incinerated?  Those are blueberry and cranberry bushes.  Designate some dwarves to gather them (especially the ones just outside the walls, while it's still safe) when they reach the point in the seasons where they start presenting berries (examine them with "K" to see).  They'll help you stretch the booze/food supplies until the farms can be replanted.  I intentionally cleared large open areas and let them grow wild with grass/moss inside the walls- so that there would always be a safe backup booze/food supply for the fortress in times of trouble... (some of these areas also double as tree farms if the saplings will ever grow...)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:19:14 pm by Northstar1989 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2014, 12:49:31 am »

Our new POW handling initiative:

Oh thank the fiery Gods this is finally happening.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2014, 04:59:39 am »

I had a small stairway built to a height above the lip of the volcano that would prevent splashback setting anyone on fire, hopefully. This would also prove to be a useful way to get rid of the vast majority of things we had no use for, like old clothes, rotten produce and prisoners.

You're kidding me, right?  Withered plants disappear on their own, and aren't worth tossing.  Meat/cheese/eggs should be stored in a food stockpile at all times anyways, where they won't decay- and will also disappear in the rare instance they do manage to rot (so aren't worth exposing our Dwarves to Goblin archer fire as the current set-up you've built does...)  And prisoners have an EXCELLENT use- just find a way to safely dump them down into the caverns, and let them duke it out for their lives with the Forgotten Beasts there...

Old clothes shouldn't be destroyed either.  Quantum Stockpile them near the main gate, and trade them to the first trade depot to make it inside the fortress...  Saves on labor vs. having to create entirely new trade goods later on.
We already have enough crafts to trade for anything we could ever want from a caravan, and literally hundreds of old clothes which are murdering the framerate. The Fire King thanks you for your donation.

Our new POW handling initiative:[/i]

Once again, bad idea.  You don't want to risk Dwarven lives so soon after the last tantrum spiral, do you?  The current strategy needlessly exposes Dwarves to Goblin archers (and spotting goblins and running off the wall into the lava in a panic- which apparently is still not fully fixed yet).  Just designate some more cage/animal stockpiles, forge some more green glass cages ("aquariums"), and store up the prisoners until you can find a way to feed the prisoners to the Forgotten Beasts (they even might do some damage to the beasts if you don't disarm them first).  And demolish that darn staircase over the volcano lip.
If there were any goblin archers, perhaps the dwarves would be exposed to them. There aren't, so that isn't an issue. If some turn up, I'll stop using the staircase. Logic. And my way of dealing with prisoners is more amusing.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2014, 01:01:28 pm »

From the memoirs of Melek, second chapter.
Little happened as summer waned into autumn. The new militia squad was moved into an above ground barracks to prevent nausea in the sun, and I had the cage with a cyclops in it set up in my office. It made a good talking point when we were later visited by the outpost liaison. Perhaps offended by our capture of her friend, we were attacked by another cyclops on the twenty third of Malachite, one by the name of Yamoru. I decided to leave her to her own devices, assuming that she'd be crippled trying to get through our gate. That was before I found out someone had deconstructed the majority of the weapon traps around our entrance. The miner squad was forced to engage a totally healthy and presumably pissed off cyclops, but fared unexpectedly well. She punched one of them in the head, killing him instantly, but was then killed by the others without any other injuries. A mere fifteen corpses remained to be buried at the end of Galena, not counting all the pets people want entombed in our good coffins.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2014, 02:41:44 pm »

we were attacked by another cyclops on the twenty third of Malachite, one by the name of Yamoru. I decided to leave her to her own devices, assuming that she'd be crippled trying to get through our gate. That was before I found out someone had deconstructed the majority of the weapon traps around our entrance. The miner squad was forced to engage a totally healthy and presumably pissed off cyclops, but fared unexpectedly well. She punched one of them in the head, killing him instantly, but was then killed by the others without any other injuries. A mere fifteen corpses remained to be buried at the end of Galena, not counting all the pets people want entombed in our good coffins.[/i]

That's strange.  The weapon traps were working fine when I ended my turn/ uploaded the save...

Mind at least throwing the captured Cyclops into the caverns?  I suggested throwing prisoners down there because we need to deal with those Forgotten Beasts sooner or later.  Making prisoners duke it out with them is a lot safer than risking our dwarves...

Also, the old clothes weren't murdering out frame-rate.  I guarantee that if you burn up every single one, and melt down every piece of Goblinite for metal (PLEASE don't throw prisoners in the volcano without at least stripping them of their arms/armor first- it's perfectly good metal that can be melted down at the Smelter and re-used) it will still be abysmal. (look up on the Wiki how to disarm/unarmor prisoners if you're not sure how- it involves using the "dump" function on their items with a garbage dump NOT into a volcano)

What's murdering our frame-rate is the 100+ livestock wandering around our pastures/cages or free as pets (I butchered several dozen during my reign, but they breed so fast!)  Deal with THEM, before their numbers become too large to control, and forget about the clothes (which are best traded along with the old trade goods) if you want to improve frame-rate.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:44:37 pm by Northstar1989 »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24