Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45433 times)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.12 Succession Game)
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:31 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

This may also be appropriate.

Awesome link, made me chuckle.

You don't want a turn next (after Shadow of Fate), do you?

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2014, 12:49:23 am »

I have like a day free per week for now, and I'm already running my own fort with descriptions which is sucking up an atrocious amount of time. I'll have to pass for now.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 06, 2014, 12:56:07 am »

Bump.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2014, 07:22:39 pm »

Bump.

Well, you can feel free to jump in for a turn.  I haven't heard back from Shadow of fate yet (I'm going to send him a PM about it now), and all we're waiting for right now is Doctor McTaalik's update so we'll know what went on during his turn of the fort...  (PM'ing him also)

If nobody jumps in, I'll probably take over the fort after Doctor McTaalik, and keep taking consecutive turns until somebody's ready to jump in...  I'm quite good at playing slowly/carefully- I rarely lose a fort once that initial walls are up.  So you can expect the fort to be around for quite a while into the future if you want to jump in eventually...

Regards,
Northstar

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2014, 02:21:16 pm »

I'm learning Adventure Mode, but I have literally no idea how to play Dorf Mode, otherwise I'd already be on the turn list.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2014, 01:35:46 pm »

I'm sorry. I didn't know you signed me up again. Turns out I'm going to be too busy until probably mid to late December. So just drop me from the list.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2014, 04:41:44 pm »

Given the lack of overseers, it might make more sense for your turn to be delayed than removed.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - Still Going Strong
« Reply #262 on: November 17, 2014, 12:50:28 am »

I've decided to take over the fortress from the last save (DoctorMcTaalik's save, for which a log is still absent) and play until we get another overseer, with at least summary logs/updates posted here.  If anyone (previous overseer or not) wants a turn, please contact me or post here at any time- and we will restart the turn-order.  I have also decided to extend turns to 48/120 hours (48 hours to accept your turn, 120 hours from the time your turn is announced to post the updated save) if the turn order begins again, and to update the fortress to Iornhand+DF0.40.16B

Herein follows the account of James Northstar the 3rd, ninth overseer of the fortress of the Mint Pillar in the second age of Dathateyo.

Our great fortress has survived many hardships.  Yet from the reign of Northstar the First and Asmoth the Great until the present day, we have persevered and built our fortress into an ever greater monument to Dwarven strength, determination, and ingenuity...

Today, I, Northstar the 3rd, take over command of the fortress.  Unlike my predecessors, I hope that my reign shall be long and peaceful.  But in the event it is not, I have a surprise or two in mind for those who would wish vile destruction upon our fortress...

The account seems to be continued on another tablet.  You begin searching the fortress archives for it...

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:24:26 am by Northstar1989 »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - Still Going Strong
« Reply #263 on: November 17, 2014, 01:28:46 am »

Thank you for taking up command, I do hope this thread avoids death by overseer starvation. Especially given the state of Murdermachines. {Dammit Terry}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2014, 02:29:15 am »

Thank you for taking up command, I do hope this thread avoids death by overseer starvation. Especially given the state of Murdermachines. {Dammit Terry}

Yeah, I'll keep this thread going.  Though see my next update- the late Doctor seems to have lost his mind.  He's done everything from carving holes through the walls (such that enemy archers have a clear line-of-sight on some of the magma kilns) to forgetting to close the gates before a Troll got in (there is a skeleton in the courtyard to prove it).  There are also Magma Crabs about to enter the fortress through walls he tore down that were protecting the fortress from the volcano...

I'm not sure if I can salvage the situation, or want to try to...  It might be time to load up the save previous to his...

Regards,
Northstar

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2014, 02:59:08 am »

Herein follows the second entry of the annals of Northstar the 3rd:

Our most recent overseer was quite the madman.  Calling himself a "time-traveler" and insisting we refer to him as "the Doctor", his antics in running the fort seemed completely incoherent, misled, and downright dangerous.  He didn't seem bothered by his mistakes, as he announced he would "be back to fix it all with time-travel", but somehow I doubt he had many marbles left by that point...  I recount some of his error here so that the reader might understand the state of the fortress I was left with.

First of all, his concern for the safety of the fortress seemed quite lax during the last siege.  Although he did *eventually* secure the gate, 'twas not before a number of vile creatures made it inside.  The skeleton of a Troll in our main courtyard serves as a very real reminder of this, as do the numerous Goblin skeletons scattered around the fortress variously pin-cushioned full of crossbow bolts or hacked into pieces...

Yet, he seemed immensely interested in putting "those vile Crundles" to death in our arena.  At least it finally saw some use:

He pastured pigs in the main Tree Farm, trampling countless saplings before they could hope to grow to their full size, despite the lack of any need to feed the pigs moss with the abundance of kitchen waste and Goblin guts available...

Though I must admit, thanks to the careful planning of Northstar the 2nd in carving out such large spaces for the purpose, the tree farm have nonetheless been quite productive (especially the secondary one in which no pigs were pastured)

However the Doctor's mis-management of logistics was incredible,  Despite an abundance of food stocks, some dwarves have been forced to hunt foul vermin to survive, thanks to a drastic over-expansion of the fortress without new food stocks to complement the growth:

And, he ordered the miners to dig out a strange spiral into the ground- wasting countless months of Dwarven labor, without any indication of the actual purpose of the thing.  The shape also forced our miners to walk enormous distances to find food or drink, despite their relative proximity to existing food stocks, contributing to the starvation problem...

The cistern, meanwhile, was neglected.  Little water remains in the bottom, and mud coats much of the interior due to the low residual water levels sloshing around before evaporating...

The large number of casualties during his reign didn't help the water situation either.  The catacombs are now also stuffed nearly to capacity with corpses as a result:

The walls protecting the Magma Kilns from the volcano, meanwhile, were torn down.  Arrow slots were also carved into the walls at ground-level despite the fact that this allows, as any good marksman will tell you, the enemy the option to simply walk right up to them and use the fortifications AGAINST US to pepper Dwarves inside the fortress at will...

Goblin corpses liter the kilns as a result, giving off a foul smell (though none who live know whether the Gobline gained entrance to this part of the fortress through jumping over the lava where the wall was torn down, or by some other means...) and Magma Crabs have now been heard scurrying up the volcano walls from the depths below, giving off their foul screeches and no doubt planning on entering the fortress through the now-absent walls guarding the fortress from the horrors of the volcano...

However perhaps the GREATEST indicator of the "Doctor's" insanity, was his order to build this Bridge to Nowhere over the main courtyard:

These burdens will trouble my sleep tonight.  I only hope that I can find some way to save the fortress from our late Overseer's insanity, and restore some semblance of sense and order to its administration.  If not, I can only pray to Moldath that there was some truth to his tales of how "time-travel" would save us all from his own mistakes...

Here the account ends.  You are forced to search for another tablet to continue studying the history of the fortress of the Mint Pillar.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:02:02 am by Northstar1989 »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:53 am »

Very nice description of "The Doctor". I think I see references.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2014, 03:36:16 am »

However perhaps the GREATEST indicator of the "Doctor's" insanity, was his order to build this Bridge to Nowhere over the main courtyard:

That's obviously a corpse-catapulting device meant to shoot goblins at other goblins. Possibly?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 18, 2014, 02:38:59 pm »

Regardless of its intended purpose, a catapult can hardly hurt.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2014, 02:53:45 pm »

Shoot me a PM if there's a spot free, willing to give it a run for 2 years with a fun writeup.

Seems like you're after someone with a little time.

clearly that spiral is some form of time vortex! I am 100% sure of this.
How do i know?
Well, many dwarf hours went in, but nothing came out! spooky.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:21:03 pm by Bigheaded »
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24