Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45016 times)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Agless World' (0.40.08 Succession Game)
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »

OK, so the final decision is... drumroll please...

THE VOLCANO

The vote came out 3-2-2 (Volcano, Site #5, Reclaim), with my own vote being the deciding vote.  Since I gave preference to DrMcTaalik (who voted for Site #5) and I'm not particularly fond of Necromancer sites, Site #5 would have been my 2nd pick.  But the outpost I established just north of there teetered on the edge of disaster (due to two Dwarves going Berserk due to failed Strange Moods, and some sort of Loyalty Cascade set off by assigning War Dogs to the first dwarf to go berserk just before he lost his marbles...) and it felt almost like a bad omen to me.

If the volcano fails, we'll re-assess: if there's enough interest (especially if the volcano didn't last long), we can try Site #5, or any of the other sites.  Although, I intend to be stubborn about trying to establish a fort at the volcano.  IF the first expedition fails, we launch a reclaim, etc.

There's a saying that I feel is of relevance for me (I'm applying to the US Marine Corps officer program in real life), and the group:

"Marines don't die.  They just go to hell and regroup."

I feel this saying would best be modified as such:

"DWARVES don't die.  They just go to hell and regroup."

(Somebody REALLY needs to make a meme for that!)

Now let's DO THIS!

Details on my Embark setup (I've decided just to handle that on my own, since I go first, and DoctorMcTaalik goes 2nd and was OK with that) and my first impressions of the site to follow shortly.

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  Due to the way succession mechanics work for the throne, and a tantrum spiral that claimed our queen- and nearly the outpost I set up earlier (who was SELECTED from among the first 7 Dwarves to the coastal outpost I established- apparently our civ was lacking one, having only live minor nobles), our current queen is actually a MERCHANT with the Dwarven Caravan.  Expect to possibly see her in an early migrant wave to our main fort or with one of the trade caravans, since I failed to keep our first queen alive at CraftedDawn (the outpost I set up earlier).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:13:57 pm by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 03:25:50 pm »

OK, so the final decision is... drumroll please...

THE VOLCANO

Alright! I have a good feeling about this fortress.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »

Alright! I have a good feeling about this fortress.

It's hard to tell if that's well-placed.  I've run into some really good, and really bad luck already.

First, the bad news:

It appears our embark site is over a Saltwater Aquifer, rather than a Freshwater Aquifer, despite the considerable distance to the nearest coast.

Now, the 7 Dwarves we started with (feel free to dorf yoursefl- but keep in mind I will NOT be separating dwarves by profession this early on.  Thus, just because you chose Urist McLikes Shields, doesn't mean the dwarf will be getting an armorer or carpenter profession anytime soon...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, as for the embark goods:

Some of you may notice the following:

(1)  I embarked with almost no booze!  Don't panic- all of the plants I packed were brewable, and I intend to start underground farming plump helmets ASAP

(2)  I embarked with no livestock.  This might have been a mistake (especially since we had a Urist McLikesPigs in our First 7, and pigs would be the best livestock IMHO opinion due to the low availability of pasture- there's only a tiny bit of mountain grass clinging to some of the slopes that won't regrow after eaten) but I didn't want any pigs running off panicked into the nearest volcano the first time they see a polar bear from the top of the mountain, leading to instant bacon...  :D

(3)  I embarked with a LOT of stone.  This was because the Embark screen listed Very Deep Soil, so I thought stone would be hard to get at besides the obsidian in the volcano rim.  The ores (Tetrahedrite, Cassiterite, and Bismuthinite) are for making Bismuth Bronze- bar for bar the cheapest and most profitable weapons-grade material we can make using embark ores, given our lack of ability to embark with Copper Nuggets or Malachite.  Turns out that the stone is QUITE accessible though, and we have Native Copper available right near our Embark Wagon, so we probably would have been better off with some piggies...  :(

Now, as for the Dwarven skills:

I didn't start with hardly any.  2 Novice Miners and a single Adequate Carpenter (to churn out some decent-quality beds from the start).  Other than that, all our Embark points were invested in supplies.

Now, HERE is what our Embark site looked like the moment the game loaded up:

Looks like I was right about our starting on the peak of the volcano.  Though not shown, the highest Z-level is also comprised of Clay- so we should have a VERY easy time mass-producing bricks using clay hauled down from there (or better yet, I'm thinking of piling it on a Hatch linked to a lever, and DROPPING it down a sort of elevator-shaft to the Z-level where we can locate our Magma Kilns).  There's also Sand everywhere, and Clay on much lower Z-levels: though unfortunately it's all standard Clay, NONE of it is Fire Clay (so we won't be able to use it to hold our booze without investing our imported wood supply in glazing it...)

Also, I'm not stupid.  I now Dwarves have a silly tendency to climb DOWN volcano rims.  So one of my first acts as overseer was THIS:

That extends all the way from the z-level of the Wagon up to the volcano lip, and I expect NOBODY to remove that restricted area without VERY good reason.  I do NOT want our Dwarves incinerating in Magma simply because they got a little frightened by some harmless bird diving into the side of the volcano, or caught sight of a Polar Bear over the walls, and decided to go volcano-diving as a result of the normal "treeing" logic (if pigs respected restricted areas as well as Dwarves, I would have brought some of them along on the Embark- but the bird suicidal dive-bombing bug is just as likely to kill them as not long before I manage to get them inside...)

This should be a FUN embark, though I intend to try and avoid having !FUN! this time around.  I'll see you all soon with news of how my turn goes.

Regards,
Northstar

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 05:56:44 pm »

This...is going to be interesting, to say the least.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 06:47:50 pm »

By the way, I love that we've embarked in "The Blizzard of Oranges". I'm sure that name will help us attract migrants.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »

Your play style is already so different than mine. If it were me, I would bring 3 copper pics to mine as much as possible as fast as possible, and for livestock I would have brought both two turkeys, and two pigs. (opposite genders for breeding included) I wouldn't even bother with the axes (to save points) because you got no trees to start anyway. Then again, I'm pretty crazy. Most of what you did makes complete sense. It's just different than I expected, which makes it that much more interesting to me. I was also surprised by the increase of stone versus bringing wood. I had figured stone would be easier to find than wood, considering that while there are like no trees, there is stone on the map even if the soil is very deep. But I guess you could have enough wood to get by if you use some of the containers. So maybe that's a moot point.

The one thing I might second guess is the lack of livestock or animals in general. With the outside temperatures, this make you almost entirely reliant on underground farms to start. I also have a feeling that if there are thieves or vermin (basically like thieves) in the area, they may be a problem at first considering you have no cats or dogs to detect them and potentially stop them. Not trying to tell you how to run your turn, but if you desired, a way you could minimize that is by building a series of storage rooms with the only entrance to them being through the barracks to potentially minimize thieves ravaging the inventory.

Again, you know what you are doing. Feel free to ignore any or all of this that you may find annoying. I'm just analyzing it out loud. Again, it's simply a different approach than I expected. That doesn't make it bad. Or maybe it proves that I'm just way too reliant on animals with the way I play. Either way, I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. I think this will be a very interesting fortress.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:27 pm »

FYI, the thread title is misspelled.  You have "The Agless World" instead of "The Ageless World".
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2014, 12:35:52 am »

By the way, I love that we've embarked in "The Blizzard of Oranges". I'm sure that name will help us attract migrants.

Indeed- but actually, I hope it doesn't.  Since we're going to be heavily reliant on limited food supplies from trade and underground farming (until it can be sufficiently ramped up) for the first two years, more migrants just means more mouths to feed...

Your play style is already so different than mine. If it were me, I would bring 3 copper pics to mine as much as possible as fast as possible, and for livestock I would have brought both two turkeys, and two pigs. (opposite genders for breeding included)

Why would anybody ever want to "mine as fast as possible"?  I generally find that with efficient utilization of resources and space, my miners spend most of their time doing other jobs anyways.  More often, the limiting factor for my forts is my willpower to actually lay out new room plans and expansions to the fort rather than the actual speed my miners can mine it...

The lack of livestock, however, was a regrettable trade-off.  See my next post- I actually ordered up quite a few for the next Dwarven Caravan (gladly, my plan of establishing and retiring a small fort before this one so we could get an Outpost Liaison worked!  We got a liaison right on-schedule with the first Dwarven Carvan, even though the earlier outpost never got a single Outpost Liaison in either of its two autumns...)

I wouldn't even bother with the axes (to save points) because you got no trees to start anyway. Then again, I'm pretty crazy. Most of what you did makes complete sense. It's just different than I expected, which makes it that much more interesting to me. I was also surprised by the increase of stone versus bringing wood. I had figured stone would be easier to find than wood, considering that while there are like no trees, there is stone on the map even if the soil is very deep. But I guess you could have enough wood to get by if you use some of the containers. So maybe that's a moot point.

I was trying to not only get weapons-grade material, but as much container space as possible as cheaply and durably as possible.  A quartzite boulder can be carved into 4 rock blocks (did I mention quartzite is lightweight and magma-proof?), or a large pot that holds a greater quantity of food supplies than a wooden barrel while simultaneously providing better protection against gnawing vermin (the PENETRATEPOWER token on vermin matches up against container type and material.  Cloth is the easiest to gnaw through, as in an exposed seeds bag.  Wood provides better protection.  Stone/metal provide the best protection against vermin).  It also costs exactly the same as a wooden log at embark, despite its greater initial utility.

I didn't bring THAT MUCH in the way of stone: I brought 72 Willow Logs- so I'm well aware of the situation with wood.  Using stone for furniture instead of wood also makes it more resistant (or impervious with quartzite) to magma, and trains up my Mason rather than my Carpenter- who is likely to see relatively little use on a map with so little wood.

The one thing I might second guess is the lack of livestock or animals in general. With the outside temperatures, this make you almost entirely reliant on underground farms to start. I also have a feeling that if there are thieves or vermin (basically like thieves) in the area, they may be a problem at first considering you have no cats or dogs to detect them and potentially stop them. Not trying to tell you how to run your turn, but if you desired, a way you could minimize that is by building a series of storage rooms with the only entrance to them being through the barracks to potentially minimize thieves ravaging the inventory.

I intend to seal the fort off from the outside world entirely, with the only way in or out being a raising bridge that seals into a solid wall when raised (and only lowers for the caravans).  Therefore thieves shouldn't be much of a problem (the only things they will be able to steal will be things I intentionally leave outside because they have no value- such as cartilage from the Butcher).   Vermin, on the other hand, are going to be an issue until I get my first shipment of cats- which is why I am using stone pots instead of wooden barrels, and intend to move the food storage to a room with brick walls and floors (some vermin, like worms, only spawn from exposed soil) as soon as I find the time.

Again, you know what you are doing. Feel free to ignore any or all of this that you may find annoying. I'm just analyzing it out loud. Again, it's simply a different approach than I expected. That doesn't make it bad. Or maybe it proves that I'm just way too reliant on animals with the way I play. Either way, I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. I think this will be a very interesting fortress.

Your points are good, and valid.  They're concerns I thought of myself.  Keep watching!  And see what you think of the next post...

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:38:34 am by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.08 Succession Game)
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2014, 01:22:18 am »

OK, here comes the first images of gameplay! (note that all images are in Spoiler tags, to make this more readable)

First of all, I thought it might be helpful if everybody knew the date on the calendar of embark, so that you all realized that your turns will begin in mid-Summer instead of early-Spring:

Anyways, my first order of business was to do something about the booze situation (namely, that I didn't embark with any of it).  I started off by freeing up some storage space:

Once that was in swing, I also got started on smelting the ores I would need to make a bit of Bismuth Bronze for picks:

My mason also got busy making rock blocks for construction of workshops and rock doors for the rooms of the fortress:

And I quickly set up a butcher and slaughtered the Water Buffalo Bull for some additional meat:

Here's a look at the jobs screen:

And as soon as the first bismuth bronze picks were completed, it's time to start mining out some sheltered living space!

While this was going on, we got our first Outpost Liaison!

And I duly ordered up a bunch of goods for the next Dwarven Caravan:

I also got an export agreement for next year's Caravan.  Apparently they want Prepared Meals and Drinks- which is good, because it means I'll be strongly rewarded for prioritizing farms and agriculture as my first industry...

Finally, most recently (before posting this), I slaughtered the Donkey as well, and quantum-stockpiled all our goods inside the small dug-out area (we can sort them out later)- hence the job cancellation spam as Dwarves carried off job items for jobs set on repeat...
Time to board up the windows and close all the doors boys!  We're getting ready to retreat inside the mountain (and seal all the exits), never to be seen or heard from again until the next Caravan arrives at the Depot!

Regards,
Northstar

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2014, 09:18:55 am »

PTW
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:10 am »

Why would anybody ever want to "mine as fast as possible"?

Lol. This part wasn't a suggestion. I was simply referencing where my own playstyle differs. You see, I like to mine out vast infrastructures as fast as practically possible right from the start. That is especially true in evil areas or areas with hostile surface temperatures. So I bring 3 already assembled copper pics so I can start right away. So I get a little mining happy. But I'm special. ;)

The lack of livestock, however, was a regrettable trade-off.  See my next post- I actually ordered up quite a few for the next Dwarven Caravan (gladly, my plan of establishing and retiring a small fort before this one so we could get an Outpost Liaison worked!  We got a liaison right on-schedule with the first Dwarven Carvan, even though the earlier outpost never got a single Outpost Liaison in either of its two autumns...)

I was curious on how you planned to do this without any animals. But I'm just as fine with you getting the livestock through trading anyway. In fact, I noticed you got both turkeys and pigs, which makes me very happy because those are the ones I tend to use. I noticed you got dogs and cats as well.

I was trying to not only get weapons-grade material, but as much container space as possible as cheaply and durably as possible.

I didn't bring THAT MUCH in the way of stone: I brought 72 Willow Logs- so I'm well aware of the situation with wood.  Using stone for furniture instead of wood also makes it more resistant (or impervious with quartzite) to magma, and trains up my Mason rather than my Carpenter- who is likely to see relatively little use on a map with so little wood.

Yeah, I figured out you were doing the container trick thing as I was writing that part, so I mentioned that. Somehow, I missed the 72 willow logs. >_> Oops...

I intend to seal the fort off from the outside world entirely, with the only way in or out being a raising bridge that seals into a solid wall when raised (and only lowers for the caravans).

That works.

Your points are good, and valid.  They're concerns I thought of myself.  Keep watching!  And see what you think of the next post...

Well, I don't have any concerns at the moment. It's early, but you have handled it very well so far. I found the starting time interesting. In some ways, starting out in midsummer might be better so that you have the most heat before you turn it into a shelter. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 12:27:57 pm »

Sign me up for a turn. I've never done a succession game but this looks to be very fun!

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 12:34:59 pm »

FYI, the thread title is misspelled.  You have "The Agless World" instead of "The Ageless World".

Well, we don't have any ags, do we?

Indeed- but actually, I hope it doesn't.  Since we're going to be heavily reliant on limited food supplies from trade and underground farming (until it can be sufficiently ramped up) for the first two years, more migrants just means more mouths to feed...

If we get too many useless migrants, systematic dwarven purges may be in order.

I also got an export agreement for next year's Caravan.  Apparently they want Prepared Meals and Drinks- which is good, because it means I'll be strongly rewarded for prioritizing farms and agriculture as my first industry...

That's good. I have a bad habit of neglecting the Ag Agricultural industry somewhat in favor of large mining projects.

Sign me up for a turn. I've never done a succession game but this looks to be very fun!

I think it will be. Hopefully not too Fun; Northstar wants this place to last.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:42:29 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 12:52:12 pm »

That's good. I have a bad habit of neglecting the Ag Agricultural industry somewhat in favor of large mining projects.

So I'm not the only one! That's a relief.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »

Another update.  A lot's been going on so far.  Don't worry- I don't expect nearly this much detail from most of you guys, but a lot tends to happen right when establishing a fort...

Anyways, first of all, I got the farms started:

I then proceeded to slaughter a Water Buffalo Cow I bought from the caravan (the bones and hooves alone will be worth more than it cost me once transformed into trade goods) and buy some more food:

Then I started on the Magma Smeleters, Magma Forges, Magma Glass Furnaces, and most importantly- Magma Kils:

Then I got started on some surface fortifications in earnest, while also building up the Magma Kiln/ Glass Furnace capacity further...  Then the unthinkable happenedL

Although it's not show (yet), I did manage to seal all my remaining Dwarves and livestock (a cat, blue peacock some migrant bought as his pet, and the Horse from the caravan earlier which I haven't slaughtered yet) safely inside the fortress.  And the unhappiness levels from the lost Dwarf are manageable- at least until his body starts to rot away due to the Gobbo's blocking access to hauling it to a coffin...

I've got plans to deal with our unfortunate invaders (like any good Dwarves whose deities include a Goddess of the Earth, they involve making the Goblins one with the mountain...) but there's no replacing that lost Dwarf.  At least we have plenty of stone to carve memorial slabs out of, and glass to make sarcophagi!

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  Please remember that if this Embark doesn't work out, Doctor McTaalik is free to make a Reclaim of the site.  It's turning out to be a nice site- and as you'll catch glimpses of in future screenshots, I've already invested rather heavily in setting up useful surface fortifications and covered courtyards...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:00:19 pm by Northstar1989 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24