Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45461 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - Still Going Strong
« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

The only thing you may use DfHack for is to remove the blood/vomit contaminants...

Ugh, no, vomit everywhere is what gives a fortress it's special charm!

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - Still Going Strong
« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2014, 01:44:08 pm »

apparently we are now "expert crundle trainers".

Awesome.  Soon we'll have fully-tamed Crundles, if you're responsible about making sure to butcher the older generations and the less tame individuals...

I'm not entirely sure it's possible to reach "domesticated". there was a topic where there was no confirmation at ever reaching domesticated. Even the wiki doesn't state what you see when you get to domesticate an animal.
And seeing that crundles young is born fully grown, we cannot tame "children" which is possible with most animals so we dont get any tame ones that way either.
Lastly, do not slaughter the old crundles, as this causes particularly nasty bad thoughts on the animal trainers as they will have bonded with them.

Given an additional 2 years i could probably get some tame GCS, although at the current fps this will take a while

Just realised what u meant when u said there was a hole there. There being in the freaking wall a massive gap so that goblins just simply had to jump down and wander in. Blocked that off and added an extra layer around the top, seeing the goblins were accurately shooting at the top level.

Yeah.  Somebody carved fortifications at ground-level all over the place, which allows Gobbo's to accurately shoot inside the fortress while being protected from Dwarven counter-fire.  You need to replace all fortifications accessible at ground-level with walls instead (there is also a fortification on the level of the furnace-rooms that needs to be replaced with a wall- otherwise Goblins can take potshots at Dwarves inside the furnace room, who won't be able to return fire...)

Don't think it's as big of a worry as you're making it seem to be.

The walls should also be *at least two z-levels tall from the ground at all places.*  This prevents Titans from simply walking over them.  Note this needs to be 2 z-levels stacked vertically or with an overhang- nothing stops a Titan from simply walking up multiple 1 z-level steps like a staircase...

Will have a look, but think i've already dealt with this.
Although 99% of titans can EASILY be dealt with the military. If i get bored i might hunt that FB down in the caverns.

FPS is causing a slight issue, i don't think having 3 million bones is helping, or the fact it's 3 million bone amulets!

The bones should have been used for decorations and to make crossbow bolts.  Not sure why they were being made into amulets.  Don't throw them out- that would be a waste of Dwarven labor!

I will admit that they made about 100k dorfbucks in total (we have 2x legendary bone carvers) from selling some. But it's simply the amount of stuff everywhere is unbelievable.

Instead, make sure to order up the maximum amount of metal bars and weapons/armor/cages/toys (all of which can be melted down in the Magma Smelter) from the next trade caravan, and build up the fortress metal stockpiles some more.  And if you're not doing so, work on training up some weapon/armorsmiths by churning out tons of leggings and breastplates and such- then melt down the lower quality products and start again until you have a bunch of Masterwork armor...

Forgot to mention that i was already doing this, and whilst he was making armor, he got a mood and made a smelly copper low boot or something, which i gave to Sodel cos he's funny and did kill one of the largest amounts of dwarves, plus isnt on front line anyway.
So we already have Legendary armorsmith & weaponsmith. I have already got several sets of copper masterwork armor, because our only mineable metals are copper and gold.
I've already purchased a decent amount of steel, locating it is the main issue, so i'm gonna have to play with the stockpiles to make them dump all the steel items near to the forges.

Also have 1 dwarf being very very unhappy, one other is possibly getting there. Think i need a hammerer as i think someone got hurt and that's what started it.

Hammerers are a bad idea (they just kill Dwarves who mess up export bans most of the time!)  Instead, build a prison.  This means setting up prison-cells (don't forget doors!), and designating each as a prison with a chain somewhere inside the cell...

Never actually tried prisons, i usually get bored of a fort by then or it dies by fps or i accidently do something which causes everything want to kill everything else.

I'm now also stuck, as i've got a dwarf asking for shells in their mood and apparently anything caught in the cavern doesn't have a shell, all above ground water is frozen and there isn't very much of it either (i can't even find any!)
Things could end up getting very hairy.

The only above-ground water is a single tile that was hauled up from the cavern-layer to start work on an Ice Farm.  Since it's not a Murky Pool or stream/brook/river, I'm pretty sure it won't spawn a fish population anyways...  I suggest walling off the Dwarf in his workshop with the strange mood, so if he goes berserk he won't be able to do any harm until a military squad can be assembled and the door opened to initiate combat.

Got enough problems with happiness as 1 dwarf is tantrumming. Whilst it says cave lobster shell can't be used in crafting, it may be able to be used in moods. Will have a look. The only other possible source of shells is a giant snail or a FB.

May i do something about the FPS with DFhack? Just beginning with a "clean all" i removed about 10,000 contaminants like vomit from the map.
Also, removing a large amount of "crap" such as the billions of bones will probably help.
Otherwise it needs some extremely persistent people to clear up one heck of a lot of crap (the bones all over the caverns probably isn't helping either, as well as from the last few sieges)

You have permission to clean up contaminants using DFHack, as they're a pain to clean up manually, and Dwarves seem too lazy to actually scrub down walls and floors most of the time.  The bones are a valuable resource, however (used not only for Strange Moods, but also to make an unending supply of Crossbow Bolts to pepper the Gobbo's with!), and should not be deleted.  The only thing you may use DfHack for is to remove the blood/vomit contaminants... (not even FB syndrome venom, if there's a way to distinguish)
Might clear up some of the goblin corpses. FPS is less than half of what i would call playable (40 is basically the minimum i'd like to play at, we're at 17, 18 after the clean)
Given the massive amounts of metal we have at the moment, and how useless bone bolts are. I'm not particularly fussed about bone arrows. I will probably redo the archery area, as it has been done incorrectly to preserve bolts (the channel should be in front of the targets, not behind!)

Speaking of crossbows and Marksdwarves, it's almost certain that the Marksdwarves jumped off the walls at the attackers for either one of two reasons:

(1) They were not actually equipped with Crossbows AND ammunition.  It's important to check that Marksdwarves are equipped with both, otherwise they just treat their crossbows like bludgeoning melee weapons...

(2)  They were stationed somewhere with a direct line-of-sight at the Gobbos, rather than through fortifications.  This will typically cause undisciplined Marksdwarves to panic (and run off the walls), or veterans to enter a Martial Trance and jump off the walls at the enemy (like you saw).  You need to make sure to station them where there's no clear/short path between them and the enemy- like over by the fortifications/gatehouse above the main gate into the fortress.

Regards,
Northstar

More likely to be #2, as they seemed to choose a very stupid way of getting to where i wanted them to go, which passed goblins which they could see (i've now changed that, all areas should be walled in). Although Sodel (thankfully) went exactly where he was supposed to go even after collecting new ammo. Doesn't matter now anyhow as i've prevented it from happening again. As walls exceed the highest level where dwarves can now walk.

Sorry vomit is gone, i need that 1 FPS :P
Getting it from 17 to 25 will be harder than getting it from 26 back upto 40.

Another problem for the FPS i have is the fact i have ridiculous amounts of food.
Think i began the fort with it being ~50 drinks and 5000 food, i now have 1800 drinks and 9000 food. I think the growers have got it going so that 3x brewers can brew 24/7 now, which is nice.
For some reason they've changed what you grow outdoors or somethings funny, so we get cranberry and blueberry wine.
This means that i've needed more pots to hold it all in.

Cemetary has had an entire extra set of coffins (about 80 added in total), just to ensure there is plenty of room... just in case.

Will probably chuck some migrants in the military, not actually for military purposes, but to make them haul stuff faster. It's actually pretty effective. Also makes them better at various duties especially smithing, but even makes them craft better stuff as it increases some thinking skills also.

Anyway, going to do what i think best. As i need to preserve some FPS or boredom will kill it faster than anything else. As i said, i already moved 100k's worth of stuff to the caravan and it's still terrible. That's the situation.

Also, if anyone wants a turn, the fort is in prime condition, especially if i can get the fps up.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2014, 02:30:04 pm »

Having a good look. Amusingly, one particular item there are thousands upon thousands of.

Any guesses? It's not what you'd think! Clearing all of them will be completely un-noticable after about a year of play as well. Unless you knew what you were looking for anyway.

Will leave it secret if you don't guess it, just for amusement purposes. Just cleared 3000 of them and pretty sure there's a lot more. Will help FPS (hopefully) without really changing anything.

Just by comparison, there is about 700 bone crafts. Appears to be about 1000 or so earthenwear crafts also. Probably less bone ones cos i sold half of them.

edit:
Also going to attempt to catch one of these bad boys:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Pond_turtle
Will let you know how i get on ;)
Pretty sure they're in 0.40 but they simply haven't updated the wiki.

edit2: upto 30 fps so far from just the "secret item" removed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:07:48 pm by Bigheaded »
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2014, 05:41:27 pm »

I accidentally read ''Bond Turtle''

That would have been so cool.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

cleared 6000 total of the secret item, bond turtles are sadly nowhere to be found as of yet. They're like ninjas or something :P

Although apparently there was a fish in my pond (when at 5/7ths full), until someone filled it up some more and then it disappeared. So i'm pretty sure we can get some shells for the moody guy.

Hopefully i'll get before he goes nuts.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2014, 04:36:10 pm »

I'm not entirely sure it's possible to reach "domesticated". there was a topic where there was no confirmation at ever reaching domesticated. Even the wiki doesn't state what you see when you get to domesticate an animal.
And seeing that crundles young is born fully grown, we cannot tame "children" which is possible with most animals so we dont get any tame ones that way either.

I was thinking of taming the "children".  I forgot that Crundles are born sexually-mature (although they continue to grow in size for the first 2 years of life), so this might not be possible...  Still, keep trying.

Lastly, do not slaughter the old crundles, as this causes particularly nasty bad thoughts on the animal trainers as they will have bonded with them.

If they're bonded with enough animals, and have enough other happy thoughts, this shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Also, many of the trainers they are bonded with are long since dead...

Given an additional 2 years i could probably get some tame GCS, although at the current fps this will take a while

That would be awesome!

Don't think it's as big of a worry as you're making it seem to be.

The ability of Goblins to shoot inside the fortress while being immune to counter-fire, not a big deal?  You must be kidding me...

I'm telling you, replace any fortifications the Gobbo's can reach without climbing with walls before it's too late.

Will have a look, but think i've already dealt with this.
Although 99% of titans can EASILY be dealt with the military. If i get bored i might hunt that FB down in the caverns.

All it takes is one unlucky Dwarf getting killed off to tip a fort into a tantrum-spiral sometimes.  Besides, the longer Dwarves live, the more time they have to get married and perpetuate the fortress lineage, to master skills, to acquire the emotionally-hardened flags, etc.  So it's ALWAYS a good idea to place the safety of your Dwarves first...

I will admit that they made about 100k dorfbucks in total (we have 2x legendary bone carvers) from selling some. But it's simply the amount of stuff everywhere is unbelievable.

Keep selling stuff!  Start gifting stuff to the Caravan if necessary!  We'll need to do so in order to get promoted to Mountainhome status eventually anyways...

Forgot to mention that i was already doing this, and whilst he was making armor, he got a mood and made a smelly copper low boot or something, which i gave to Sodel cos he's funny and did kill one of the largest amounts of dwarves, plus isnt on front line anyway.
So we already have Legendary armorsmith & weaponsmith. I have already got several sets of copper masterwork armor, because our only mineable metals are copper and gold.
I've already purchased a decent amount of steel, locating it is the main issue, so i'm gonna have to play with the stockpiles to make them dump all the steel items near to the forges.

Actually, we have a TON of bismuth bronze- which is a much better material than copper for armor (and one of the BEST materials to make warhammers out of).  We also already have lots of steel and iron items waiting to be melted down, and an unlimited source of carbon for steel-making in the form of our underground tree-farms (always a worthwhile project to expand those, by the way...)

Never actually tried prisons, i usually get bored of a fort by then or it dies by fps or i accidently do something which causes everything want to kill everything else.

Build a prison.  It's the BEST solution to the "everything wants to kill everything else" dilemma.  Usually, in a tantrum-spiral it's only 10-20% of a fort's population that is unhappy enough to tantrum at any given time.  The rest of the tantrums happen because the unhappy dwarves inevitably injure happy dwarves and murder their relatives, making them unhappy/murderous as well.

When a dwarf is in a prison cell with a closed door, he can't hurt anyone.  Additionally, you can make sure he/she has plenty of pretty objects to look at while locked up to avert insanity.  And, when a prisoner is released after serving their sentence, they get one of the happiest thoughts in the game- akin to getting married or having a child- which basically makes them tantum-proof until the thought fades away...

Got enough problems with happiness as 1 dwarf is tantrumming. Whilst it says cave lobster shell can't be used in crafting, it may be able to be used in moods. Will have a look. The only other possible source of shells is a giant snail or a FB.

Just 1 Dwarf is tantrumming, and you're worried.  This fortress has survived 5 or more Dwarves constantly tantrumming at any given time! (out of a pool of 25 or more unhappy dwarves!)  Just build a prison, lock him/her up, and you'll be fine.  The dwarf will either go insane in jail, and harmlessly starve to death there (or make fine target-practice for the military if they're chained and go Berserk), or survive the sentence and become EXTREMELY happy when released...  Make sure to use the Justice screen to convict the Dwarf of any crimes they committed with a prison sentence (such as assault or vandalism), and to have an active Captain of the Guard, or else there won't be any happy thoughts from justice being served (which benefit the victims of the crimes) or the prisoner being released...

Might clear up some of the goblin corpses. FPS is less than half of what i would call playable (40 is basically the minimum i'd like to play at, we're at 17, 18 after the clean)
Given the massive amounts of metal we have at the moment, and how useless bone bolts are. I'm not particularly fussed about bone arrows. I will probably redo the archery area, as it has been done incorrectly to preserve bolts (the channel should be in front of the targets, not behind!)

Actually, the channel needs to be behind the targets.  The Dwarves need a walkable path to the targets in order to use them.  You can channel out some of the tiles between where the Dwarves shoot and the tiles immediately in front of the targets, without destroying the walkable path, to catch bolts that fall short, however.  Given the logic-change that now requires a walkable path, it is no longer possible to recycle 100% of archery bolts- which is why the bone bolts are so useful...

It can easily take a couple thousand bolts just to repel a single Goblin Siege.  Don't underestimate the fortress' thirst for ammunition...

More likely to be #2, as they seemed to choose a very stupid way of getting to where i wanted them to go, which passed goblins which they could see (i've now changed that, all areas should be walled in). Although Sodel (thankfully) went exactly where he was supposed to go even after collecting new ammo. Doesn't matter now anyhow as i've prevented it from happening again. As walls exceed the highest level where dwarves can now walk.

Good.  Hopefully we can safely pepper the Goblins with crossbow bolts in peace now.  Make sure to remove any fortifications at ground-level, so the Goblins can't simply walk up to the fortifications and deliver return fire at point-blank directly into Marksdwarves' faces though!

Sorry vomit is gone, i need that 1 FPS :P
Getting it from 17 to 25 will be harder than getting it from 26 back upto 40.

Another problem for the FPS i have is the fact i have ridiculous amounts of food.
Think i began the fort with it being ~50 drinks and 5000 food, i now have 1800 drinks and 9000 food. I think the growers have got it going so that 3x brewers can brew 24/7 now, which is nice.
For some reason they've changed what you grow outdoors or somethings funny, so we get cranberry and blueberry wine.
This means that i've needed more pots to hold it all in.

It never hurts to have too much food or drink!  Remember, we had Dwarves literally starving to death before!  The best thing to do with that much food and drink might be to spread it out in small stockpiles throughout the fortress to minimize Smoko-breaks, however...

The outdoor crops are what they are because the fortress is built int a Tundra (it's too cold for Strawberries).  You can still farm the familiar outdoor crops in warmer climates...

Cemetary has had an entire extra set of coffins (about 80 added in total), just to ensure there is plenty of room... just in case.

Will probably chuck some migrants in the military, not actually for military purposes, but to make them haul stuff faster. It's actually pretty effective. Also makes them better at various duties especially smithing, but even makes them craft better stuff as it increases some thinking skills also.

Good ideas all.

Anyway, going to do what i think best. As i need to preserve some FPS or boredom will kill it faster than anything else. As i said, i already moved 100k's worth of stuff to the caravan and it's still terrible. That's the situation.

Also, if anyone wants a turn, the fort is in prime condition, especially if i can get the fps up.

I'll probably jump in with a turn eventually.

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2014, 04:41:05 pm »

cleared 6000 total of the secret item, bond turtles are sadly nowhere to be found as of yet. They're like ninjas or something :P

Although apparently there was a fish in my pond (when at 5/7ths full), until someone filled it up some more and then it disappeared. So i'm pretty sure we can get some shells for the moody guy.

Make sure to take precautions *just incase* you don't get shells and the Dwarf goes berserk!

As for pond turtles, where did you find a pond where they might spawn?  As above-ground fish, the only place they could possibly spawn is in water tiles that would normally be frozen year-round, unless heated with adjacent magma.  I'm surprised if the cisterns are spawning underground fish (such as Cave Lobsters), but it you want above-ground fish, you'll have to work on some heated pools using pond zones and magma.

There's already a single ice tile in the fortress basement (the lowest z-level still lit by outside light), and if you heat it up and periodically allow it to re-freeze, you can easily expand that to a much larger pond size... (that WAS where I intended to start an Ice Farm, however.  You can accomplish both purposes with one pond if you make it possible to cut off and drain the adjacent magma supply periodically, so that some tiles can periodically be re-frozen and thawed to generate additional water...)

Regards,
Northstar

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2014, 05:11:39 pm »

Make sure to take precautions *just incase* you don't get shells and the Dwarf goes berserk!

As for pond turtles, where did you find a pond where they might spawn?  As above-ground fish, the only place they could possibly spawn is in water tiles that would normally be frozen year-round, unless heated with adjacent magma.  I'm surprised if the cisterns are spawning underground fish (such as Cave Lobsters), but it you want above-ground fish, you'll have to work on some heated pools using pond zones and magma.

There's already a single ice tile in the fortress basement (the lowest z-level still lit by outside light), and if you heat it up and periodically allow it to re-freeze, you can easily expand that to a much larger pond size... (that WAS where I intended to start an Ice Farm, however.  You can accomplish both purposes with one pond if you make it possible to cut off and drain the adjacent magma supply periodically, so that some tiles can periodically be re-frozen and thawed to generate additional water...)

Regards,
Northstar

I did one indoors, seemed to somehow get a single turtle out of it (lords knows how) but i aint complaining. One ring produced with one happy dwarf running around.
Might see if i can make an above ground pond should no more turtles appear out of the indoor pond. Although i am somewhat sure they do appear in indoor ponds, as they come out of aquifers also. Which is pretty ridiculous.

Not entirely sure about the image on it. Amusing none the less.

Onto bad news. You know how i said i wasn't very good at the justice stuff?

Anyway, lesson learnt. I will assign the weakest dwarf i can find the job of "captain of the guard" slightly amusing. I'll give him an accomplice as i don't think Tun was the actual captain.
The wiki is very good actually, and if anyone else wants to learn a little more about justice/jails read here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Justice
Also amusing is that we no longer have any particularly unhappy dwarves after this "incident". 3 of them are close to being really unhappy (mostly because in the goblin siege they watched 40 goblins die)

Back to good news, Amperzand is naming stuff, he's using a steel sword, but it's standard which is a shame. But he's attached to it and it will soon be named like this:

Amperzand and Bigheaded are Legendary in about 6 different things involving fighting, they're currently working on misc object it seems and wrestler. Their main attributes (Speed/Strength/Toughness) have all been maxed.
We have various other Great or better weaponmasters, including the guy i gave the legendary war hammer to.
Tun (whom killed a decent amount of goblins and smashed the unhappy dwarf's face in) is High Master, so nearly legendary in using spear. A lot of them are actually legendary fighters already.

I also located a very strong dwarf who was a miner using Therapist, which says he will get 4500 strength once he becomes as strong as possible. To put that number into context, using a pick, he will almost certainly explode small creatures such as cats on hit, and pretty much annihilate most enemies through armor. Tun currently has only 1778 strength (considered "very strong" and you can see the damage he did WITH HIS FISTS to a dwarf (although dwarf heads are apparently bugged and do not have strong skulls).

anyway, other than a slight mistep, things are going well.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20:27 pm »

I did one indoors, seemed to somehow get a single turtle out of it (lords knows how) but i aint complaining. One ring produced with one happy dwarf running around.
Might see if i can make an above ground pond should no more turtles appear out of the indoor pond. Although i am somewhat sure they do appear in indoor ponds, as they come out of aquifers also. Which is pretty ridiculous.

Not entirely sure about the image on it. Amusing none the less.

I'm in full support of digging out additional ponds/cisterns/etc. for fishing purposes.  Just make sure that if you heat them, there is a way to drain the magma heating-tubes so the water can freeze up (to replenish water-levels, and allow recovery of objects dropped into ponds).  If the ponds are indoors, I suggest providing a way to drain them.  We REALLY need some sewers running to the edge of the map (where water can drain through fortifications) and/or some large evaporation chambers, to allow us to drain cisterns/ponds as necessary...

Obsidian Farms are also always a worthwhile pursuit.  Just make sure you consult the wiki on how to build them first...

Onto bad news. You know how i said i wasn't very good at the justice stuff?

Anyway, lesson learnt. I will assign the weakest dwarf i can find the job of "captain of the guard" slightly amusing. I'll give him an accomplice as i don't think Tun was the actual captain.
The wiki is very good actually, and if anyone else wants to learn a little more about justice/jails read here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Justice
Also amusing is that we no longer have any particularly unhappy dwarves after this "incident". 3 of them are close to being really unhappy (mostly because in the goblin siege they watched 40 goblins die)

Yeah, you might want to build a jail.  It's one of the many things that got abandoned in favor of pointless excavation of mining tunnels (the volcano can provide us with all the stone we need through Obsidian Farming, and bricks for construction through the Magma Kilns...  Caravans and Goblinite provide us with an infinite source of metals...) and the construction of an "arena" or labyrinth for the Cyclops...

Back to good news, Amperzand is naming stuff, he's using a steel sword, but it's standard which is a shame. But he's attached to it and it will soon be named like this:

Amperzand and Bigheaded are Legendary in about 6 different things involving fighting, they're currently working on misc object it seems and wrestler. Their main attributes (Speed/Strength/Toughness) have all been maxed.
We have various other Great or better weaponmasters, including the guy i gave the legendary war hammer to.
Tun (whom killed a decent amount of goblins and smashed the unhappy dwarf's face in) is High Master, so nearly legendary in using spear. A lot of them are actually legendary fighters already.

You might want to equip Amperzand with a better weapon before he names that one.  Weapon quality-level is EXTREMELY important to combat-effectiveness...

I also located a very strong dwarf who was a miner using Therapist, which says he will get 4500 strength once he becomes as strong as possible. To put that number into context, using a pick, he will almost certainly explode small creatures such as cats on hit, and pretty much annihilate most enemies through armor. Tun currently has only 1778 strength (considered "very strong" and you can see the damage he did WITH HIS FISTS to a dwarf (although dwarf heads are apparently bugged and do not have strong skulls).

anyway, other than a slight mistep, things are going well.

Glad to hear things are going well!

A cautious note about Dwarf Therapist- make sure it doesn't change the save file at all, as most players (including myself) don't use it.  If I remember correctly, it can change the save files in such a way that opening them *requires* that Dwarf Therapist is installed in the future...

Regards,
Northstar

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »

i did build a jail. Assigned two areas as a jail, then set a captain of the guard.

Shortly after i realised i hadn't seen anyone tantrumming for a while, so presumed something must have happened, then found that report lol. He's now in the cemetary.

The indoor pond is 1 tile of water close to the housing. At worst we can get a miner to channel the area next to it which drains half the water between the two tiles and allows anyone to get out or for any equipment to be removed.

Don't have any decent quality steel swords about, will see what i can do in that regard. Set a bunch of stuff to melt and a few extra dwarves on furnace operating.

currently havent told therapist to do anything, it just reads the data, i've not enforced any changes, and given that info, won't do either. Therapist is very useful for various reasons seeing it's quite hard to track what 60 dwarves have enabled at one time. As i have 4 dwarves if not more set to brewing, but not a single dwarf is considered a "brewer". Although they are pretty skilled at it now. Still hard to locate them if they arn't currently brewing. This being one single example, as a LOT of dwarves have engraving set and as i said finding decent fighter dwarves is a lot simpler.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 11, 2014, 04:07:39 pm »

The indoor pond is 1 tile of water close to the housing. At worst we can get a miner to channel the area next to it which drains half the water between the two tiles and allows anyone to get out or for any equipment to be removed.

Expand the pond(s) and you'll (hopefully) expand the chance of vermin fish/turtles spawning...

The easiest way to prevent Dwarves or objects from falling into a pond is to build grates (preferably of Green Glass- because it's basically free) over it.  Dwarves can still fish through grates.  It also shouldn't be too hard to dig an exit ramp though- Dwarves who fall into a small pond, even those without swimming skill, can typically manage to pull themselves out via an adjacent ramp before they drown...

By the way, better get that jail back in operation.  A good jail can not only act as a punishment for murderous Dwarves- it can also act as a holding cell for prisoners, and a sealed-off bunker in case of disaster (a jail should be able to be sealed off in case of a jail-break anyways).  I suggest having at least 10-12 cells in the jail, as well as a "guard" barracks (possibly with included beds), an internal food/booze stockpile for the guards (so the guards don't wander too far- and to make it easier to feed Dwarves who are in jail), and an accessible cistern or well (as a backup for the food/booze stockpile).

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:09:42 pm by Northstar1989 »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 11, 2014, 05:40:40 pm »

As i said, the jail works. There are a full 12 cells, they are very close to the housing, simply because it's easier to find and move people to, and hopefully a slightly higher chance than someone might feed them should their stockpiles run out.
If you're particularly worried about people escaping, place a weapon rack outside and just get amperzand and Bigheaded to train there. In fact, will do this also. Whilst they sleep, they sleep less than most due to being military trained and therefore not "gets tired quickly", which in 99% of scenarios means 1 is training while the other sleeps. I have set Amperzand Bigheaded and two speardwarves there.

What didn't work was assigning decent guards to "captain of the guard". Amusingly, it's a terrible idea, seeing punishments are dealt by those guards and will as shown kill off "naughty dwarves". A far better captain of the guard, as originally set up, are marksdwarves, preferably with as little physical strength as possible. Also, it's better to not train them, as even training in crossbows increases strength.

I'm not particularly worried about making the ponds larger, although i still need to work out how the pond turtle got in there. 1. It was just luck (and need to build one on the outside) or 2. if my presumption is correct and they simply spawn in underground ones also and just takes time for turtles to find their way in.
Will add the grates, which answers a question as i accidently made a mess of deconstructing one and couldn't remember what it actually was, as i tried to put a floodgate there by accident lol.
Should someone need to get a shell, they can designate the pond to be fished out of.

I shall upload the save tomorrow, this will allow me to have a look at my own forts. Can think about some GCS another time. As i've not got them breeding in a long time (since 0.34) and my save works 3 times faster.

edit:
Well, sorting out this was the plan anyway, but i've just had something else with more immediate concerns.

But no time to deal with this at the moment, so i'm off to bed. Will hopefully post up a save this sort of time tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:37:15 pm by Bigheaded »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2014, 09:32:22 am »

Not as exciting as it could have been and missed some screenshots as i tried to take several then forgot to actually use them.

3 losses in total for us, not entirely sure how many of the ~50 or so i took out. I'm pretty sure at least half fled.
1 of which was a recent addition who joined the fort, but was a very decent marksdwarf. He was placed literally 1 level above in one of the sniping areas which should have meant it was impossible for him to get out. Get out he did though and did some pretty decent damage (think he killed 3 and hurt 2 others) in some close range bolt shots. Again, don't really know how he got out.
When things had calmed down i sent the military out who killed about 10-15. Lost 1 dwarf here who wasn't skilled enough and hadn't noticed he was in the squad.
The last death was a Suturer suddenly running directly into a troll, half the entire map away from him, for no reason whatsoever (was allocated "no job"), there was nothing to collect, just wanted to suicide into a troll which was at least 60 squares away.

Amperzand gained his first named kill. I believe he killed whoever killed the marksdwarf.
The pond is a success. Pond turtles are very common in it and not a lot else. So should we need more shells, that's where to look.
Captain of the guard and his disciple are weaklings, so should they hit anyone for justice purposes, the worst thing they could possibly do is bruise something. Please do not get them to train anywhere.
Jail is in operation, i haven't set food stockpiles up yet, won't be too difficult, but i doubt we have too much crime.

2 people are stressed/unhappy. Not really sure what to do with them, military generally don't get upset very easily so chucked one in there and hoping for the best.

In terms of drink/food we have 3k and 11k. As long as the brewers are left brewing, the planters left planting and the occasional thing gets butchered, we should be more than fine for as long as the fort continues.

The item which i removed 6000 from the map (if not more) were cave spider webs. Literally the caverns were full of them.
Not entirely sure what happened with the 2 FB's which were swimming around. Only the 1 FB whom is still stuck in the tree remaining who is free to move.

That's it from me for the time being. Had a good amount of fun but i've finished for the time being.
All named dwarves who were alive are still alive. I still do not have any kills and neither does amperzand.
save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10241

One last thing to note, i deconstructed a small area above the entrance and added a route next to the fortifications there as i found it very difficult to get the marksdwarves into the small gap by the fortifications. In one month of the year, there is a patrol route set for sodel to walk along there. Should a siege come up you can copy and paste that, or you can just leave as is and just move there.
Anyway, point is, removed building to make marksdwarves jobs a bit easier to do.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2014, 05:30:45 pm »

I love how I give a constant stream of calm, introspective comments on how I feel about death in the middle of combat, while dismembering goblins. That would actually be creepy as hell to fight against...
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aye.  Thanks for taking a turn and getting the save file posted Bigheaded!

So I think I might take over for a while (not necessarily 2 years, but probably longer until somebody wants a turn) unless somebody else already wants a turn?

Also, in other news, I *think* it's time to update the save file to 0.40.19, it's only been out for a couple weeks now!  I'll have to see about that if I take the next turn.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:23:08 pm by Northstar1989 »

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24