Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45480 times)

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.08 Succession Game)
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 04:17:14 pm »

Siege before the first migrant wave. This is going to be one hell of a game.

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
  • We must not allow a mineshaft gap
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »

Looks interesting, put me down for a turn

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 07:05:20 pm »

I think that the first year invaders are a bug caused by the game no longer starting. On the first of Granite or something similar. If we get lucky, something will scare them and they'll climb into the volcano.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 11:18:34 pm »

I think that the first year invaders are a bug caused by the game no longer starting. On the first of Granite or something similar. If we get lucky, something will scare them and they'll climb into the volcano.

I've managed to weather several sieges (pictures coming soon) by this point, and I don't think you guys will have to worry about invaders much in the future.  The fortress now has large walls for defense, a moderate amount of enclosed low-productivity pasture (grass doesn't grow very well in the Tundra even in a greenhouse), and 42 livestock (as of this post) within the walls (most are dogs/cats/pigs).  There is also enough underground farmland to feed 4 or 5 times the current population with booze-cooking and careful management, and at least twice without.

As long as you remember to keep the bridge up most of the time, you should be fine.  In fact, as I write this post (currently in the final month of my first turn), I'm laughing at Goblin invaders running circles around my walls, and thinking about if I'll have time to kill them before the end of the month.   8)

Images coming soon.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:21:42 pm by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 12:38:30 pm »

Hey guys,

Would have loved to have these images up last night, but my internet died on me...  The fortress is almost ready to be passed on (any advice on the best way to transfer the file?  As in specific file-sharing sites- I've never actually posted files to this forum before...) but I've got a few more days left in my mandate and one sudden emergency to attend to before I lay down the reins of leadership for the time being...

First of all, we got more migrants!  And the fortifications began to really come along:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But we also got more Goblins- and lost ANOTHER Dwarf to their attacks:

But we survived, and soon we had another Dwarven Caravan and Outpost Liaison:

Bad news came with the caravan though, Crafteddawns- the trading fortress I established before (with a perimeter wall and 20 Dwarves, so I wouldn't really call it *small*) was conquered by the Goblin menace a few months ago!

I dutifully ordered up some more trade goods for next year's caravan with the Outpost Liaison.  Hopefully we get a liaison next year despite the loss of Crafteddawns...

And re-appropriated out Magma Kilns to make crafts instead of bricks in the hope of pawning off these essentially free Earthenware trinkets for valuable stuff like metals (and metal items we can melt down for free at our Magma Smelters), wood, and breeding pairs of livestock:

The caravan decided they were going to leave before I could get hardly any trade goods or my Broker to the Trade Depot though (I was rather occupied with building fortifications and expanding the fortress), so I decided to deconstruct the Trade Depot and STEAL everything they had brought to trade with us.  I don't feel great about it, but what are they going to do- siege us?  That's laughable once you see the strength of our fortifications by the end of my turn...

The fortifications continued to come along, slowly but surely.  Unfortunately, I wasted quite a bit of effort building something and then second-guessing its position and deconstructing it after completion instead of just GOING WITH IT.  But the end result was still an impressive castle of a fortress...

The Outpost Liaison, meanwhile, offered us an export agreement for next year despite stealing all the Caravan's stuff.  Pay careful attention, because THESE are the goods you will be needing to sell to them Doctor McTaalik:

And MORE migrants arrived soon after the caravan.  Our fortress population is growing slowly but surely, despite the best efforts of the Goblins...

Then a Clothier was possessed.  Hmmm, I wonder what he'll make us- an artifact shirt perhaps?

Unfortunately said Clothier insisted on blindly running around without apparent purpose outside of the fortress, instead of going in and claiming a workshop.  This didn't bode well for him when a Goblin invasion arrived and insisted on hunting down everything alive they could find...

I survived that siege as well, though, and went back to my ordinary business, including slaughtering some livestock I had gotten (stolen) from the Dwarven Caravan:

I also got some more migrants- which is good.  We're one step closer to reaching a critical mass of population where we can exist indefinitely without additional migrants (Dwarves won't marry their own brothers/sisters/cousins, so you need a population above a certain threshold to ensure multiple parallel family lines can exist.)

Then one of our Craftsdwarves withdrew from society in a strange mood...

And constructed Udtomus- a basal table!  Nice!  We now have a Legendary Mason, as well as an artifact-quality table, which should be perfect for building a Legendary Dining Hall!

It wasn't long before the Goblins arrived though- apparently drawn by word of our Legendary Table (I wonder what it'll do when magic comes out for artifacts- maybe allow Dwarves to eat without consuming the food item?)

I proceeded to laugh at them though (this was when I made my previous post).  After all- what could they do?!  All my Dwarves and livestock were cloistered safely inside the fortress walls, and I raised the main gate shortly after they arrived...   :P

That turned out to be a mistake though...  NEVER underestimate the stupidity of your Dwarves!   :-[

Apparently, my Dwarves decided that this was the PERFECT time to practice their high-board diving skills OFF THE EDGE OF THE FORTRESS, INTO SOLID GROUND A HALF-DOZEN Z-LEVELS BELOW!  Or rather, I ordered the construction of an additional z-level of wall along the top of my existing fortifications, and when my Dwarves caught sight of the Goblins waiting patiently on another hill-top HALFWAY ACROSS THE MAP (since they could find no way into my fortress), most of them decided to panic and jump off the walls AWAY from my fortress rather than back inside it (two or three Dwarves with some existing points in Discipline actually ignored the Goblins, and made it safely back down from the walls after completing their assigned squares of wall...)

Three of the Dwarves are crippled from the jump, with serious spine or limb injuries, and probably won't make it back inside the walls alive (as they are unable to move- they periodically flashed white X-marks, even though you can't see it here).  The other three Dwarves, however, miraculously landed with nothing but bruises.  I'm currently torn between the need to pull them back inside the walls to try and avoid a tantrum-spiral (the loss of 3 Dwarves might be acceptable to the others- especially if they weren't well-liked; but the loss of 6 Dwarves spells almost certain doom for my fortress of just over 30 Dwarves...), and the risk of losing the rest of the fortress or additional Dwarves if I open the main gates to try and retrieve them...

News on the final result (and the save file- once I figure out how to upload it.  I'd appreciate advice in this matter), soon!  I've only got a week or two left in my mandate to resolve this crisis!

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:51:10 pm by Northstar1989 »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 01:01:09 pm »

Just zip your whole region folder and upload to DFFD.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2014, 01:07:58 pm »

Good idea, will do.

DoctorMcTaalik, your turn.  I ended my mandate three days early (on the 20th of Malachite 254, instead of the 23rd) so you'll have more time to resolve the crisis I left you- you have until the 23rd of Malachite 256 for your turn.  Nobody's going to be a stickler if you go two or three days over, but try not to.

Speaking of the crisis, I did my best to resolve it in what time I had left.  That is, after inspecting the injuries to my Dwarves (it turns out only 1 of the 6 Dwarves was actually crippled- the other two had just passed out from pain after one or both of their hands exploded in gore...) I decided to open the main gate, and trust they could find their way back in:

I now concede leadership, for the time being.  I ended 3 days early to give DoctorMcTaalik a bit more time to form and execute a plan to try and save the remaining Dwarves outside the walls (if possible) and make sure there aren't more Dwarves trapped outside than I thought (I recommend going down each and every Dwarf in the Citizens List accessible through "u" to see where each Dwarf is located (by zooming to them with "c").

Also, this should give you a bit more time to try and come up with a plan to kill the invaders (whatever you do, DON'T try and engage them in melee combat- that would be suicide, as none of our Dwarves are significantly skilled in combat, and we don't have any armor aside from what we stole from the last Dwarven Caravan...)

One last image- the status of the fortress (and calendar date) as I left it:

Some advice to the next overseer (DoctorMcTaalik)

(1)  Appoint a new Expedition Leader ASAP ("Replace" through the Nobles Screen using "r").  You DON'T want the Expedition Leader to get killed- sometimes this creates bugs with the continuity of the fortress and our future ability to receive Outpost Liaisons.  I would have done this fore you, but I wanted to leave it up to your judgment who would make the best replacement Expedition Leader...

(2)  Feel free to "dorf" players as requested.  I got a number of players requesting to be "dorfed" before, yet nobody pointed out specific Dwarves they wanted to get assigned even though I showed you all screenshots of the character screens of the starting 7 Dwarves.  COME ON GUYS!  If you want to be Dwarfed, you've got to speak up about which Dwarf suits your fancy...  Or we could just assign you randomly at-will, if you'd like.  I don't like to specialize my Dwarves early on, though- so I understand you couldn't expect their profession to remain constant.

(3)  The fortifications are (mostly) finished, and as tall as they can safely be built upwards- as I just demonstrated, building further upwards has become QUITE HAZARDOUS.  If you want to engage in more surface construction, the best approach would probably be to dump several hundred Earthenware bricks outside the fortress walls using a Garbage Dump, and have new migrants build a sort of town at the base of the main fortress walls...  However whatever you do, DON'T do this by dropping the bricks over the fortress walls- this is likely to get more Dwarves killed the next time there's a Goblin invasion, and there is a much better approach:

(4)  Two or three types of above-ground crops grow in the Tundra biome- Cranberries, Bilberries, and possibly Blueberries.  All should be brewable, and Cranberries/Bilberries can be farmed in the exposed Above Ground soil in the basement of the fortress (see the NOTES page for this and other hints I left around the fortress for future overseers), as well as possibly Blueberries- if you manage to gather some blueberry seeds (I don't have any, so they don't appear on my farm plots).  They're new with the 0.40.08 update, as "Garden Plants", so I don't blame any of you for not being familiar with them yet:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Crop#Garden_Plants

(5)  See the NOTES page (press "N").  Before I upload this fort, I'm going to upload the save one last time and leave even more NOTES around the fortress for future overseers.

Future overseers should also use the Notes Screen. This is one of the best ways for us to explain to the next overseer what each component of the fortress was built for, and what plans we had for the future.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:57:27 pm by Northstar1989 »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »

Good idea, will do.

DoctorMcTaalik, your turn.  I might have even gone a few days past the end of the mandate in trying to resolve the crisis situation you saw before...  Speaking of which, a quick update on that:

Regards,
Northstar

Have you uploaded your save? I can't find it on DFFD.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 02:39:23 pm »

Have you uploaded your save? I can't find it on DFFD.

WOW, you got on this FAST.

No, not quite yet. I decided I had too many loose ends left up around the fortress, and I needed to add a few more Notes symbols, with the game paused, so that you would have a better idea what my plans/ideas were for everything.  Also, I'm still waiting for the Activation E-Mail for my DFFD account.

By the way, see my post above. I actually posted a super-short post as a placeholder, and then Modified it into a much longer and more detailed post.  So it's changed A LOT since you quoted it... (turns out I ended my mandate 3 in-game days early, rather than a few days late, for instance)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:41:53 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 05:58:49 pm »

OK, so there's good news and bad news.

First, the good news: the Year 254 save file (the fortress was founded in 252) is now uploaded to DFFD!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9408

The bad news- it turns out that there are still 6 DWARVES (as well as a pet) outside the fortress walls.  Apparently, either the Dwarves didn't enter the gate before when I thought they did, or there were even more Dwarves outside than I thought.  I highly recommend trying to find some way of saving them...

I leave this up to you, Doctor McTaalik.  This might take EXTREME action to save the fortress.

The survival of the fortress has to come first.  Having one or two individual Dwarves survive a tantrum-spiral won't do any good if they destroy everything inside the fortress through tantrums and make it unlivable; murder all the livestock; and are either crippled, or too injured to work, from fist-fights they survived during the course of the tantrum spiral...

Regards,
Northstar

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 06:32:21 pm »

OK, so there's good news and bad news.

First, the good news: the Year 254 save file (the fortress was founded in 252) is now uploaded to DFFD!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9408

The bad news- it turns out that there are still 6 DWARVES (as well as a pet) outside the fortress walls.  Apparently, either the Dwarves didn't enter the gate before when I thought they did, or there were even more Dwarves outside than I thought.  I highly recommend trying to find some way of saving them...

I leave this up to you, Doctor McTaalik.  This might take EXTREME action to save the fortress.

The survival of the fortress has to come first.  Having one or two individual Dwarves survive a tantrum-spiral won't do any good if they destroy everything inside the fortress through tantrums and make it unlivable; murder all the livestock; and are either crippled, or too injured to work, from fist-fights they survived during the course of the tantrum spiral...

Regards,
Northstar

I'm glad no one was dorfed yet. This is going to be FUN indeed.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 07:22:08 pm »

What would Dwarf Fortress be without a little !FUN! here and there?

Nonetheless, I think this can be managed.

Even in a worst-case scenario, where you have to seal all the Dwarves but one inside what I like to euphemistically call a "Darwin Chamber" to prevent them messing up the rest of the fort; there is nothing technically preventing the fort from continuing onwards...

There are no invaders inside- and tall walls to prevent that.

There is no lava flooding the halls (and if somebody, at any point, unleashes that on the fortress, I WILL be reverting this to the last good save before that.  You literally have to be trying to flood the fort to accomplish that- your miners stop mining whenever they encounter "Warm Stone".)

There are no links to the Caverns or HFS (yet) to unleash hordes of "Clowns" or Forgotten Beasts in a never-ending foot stamping on the face of the fortress (and I would ask that ANY such links be capable of being sealed by retracted bridge or caved-in.  There's simply no need to expose the fortress to such danger.)

Dwarf Fortress in not a game that defeats you because it's too hard (at least, once a properly-designed fortress has been set up), it's a game that defeats you because you run out of willpower to sort through what needs to be done when you halls are flooded with Miasma, and your Dwarves are murdering each other with reckless abandon (that is, if a tantrum spiral you didn't see coming catches you.  We KNOW there is going to be a tantrum-spiral now, so we can take steps to seal most of the fortress' population in a "Darwin Chamber" to limit the damage...)

Often the best solution to any problem is either to seal most of your population in a bunker and let them kill each other, or seal a small segment of "sane" Dwarves in a bunker (with access to plenty of stone to engrave Memorial Slabs to the rest) and let them wait out whatever is killing the rest of your fortress...

Of course, bunkers can't be dug in a day- they take foresight.  So, I propose that once this mess is over (however it may turn out), we establish a self-contained bunker to help the fortress survive future catastrophes.

Ideally, such a bunker would have access to an obsidian farm to allow unlimited slab-engraving (so murderous ghosts from the main fortress don't slaughter the bunker's inhabitants), access to a (caged or sealed) seed population of baby livestock, plenty of stockpiled (and forbidden) seeds, and access to (forbidden until activation of the bunker) picks, anvils, and new directions to expand in so that it can essentially survive and grow as a separate fortress until whatever is affecting the main fortress is at an end.

Better yet, separate a couple Dwarves from the next migrant wave out, and seal them in such a bunker *ahead of time* as "Groundskeepers".  If they're a married couple, they can keep the fortress going for at least 100 years (Dwarves live much longer then Humans).  And if we're still playing the fortress by that time, I'm sure we can divert a few migrants to marry their (yet unborn) children when that time comes...

This Fortress MUST survive.  THE FUTURE OF THE DWARVEN RACE DEPENDS ON IT (remember, this is the last major site to stand against the Goblin menace since CraftedDawns was conquered...)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:35:22 pm by Northstar1989 »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »

What would Dwarf Fortress be without a little !FUN! here and there?

Nonetheless, I think this can be managed.

Even in a worst-case scenario, where you have to seal all the Dwarves but one inside what I like to euphemistically call a "Darwin Chamber" to prevent them messing up the rest of the fort; there is nothing technically preventing the fort from continuing onwards...

There are no invaders inside- and tall walls to prevent that.

There is no lava flooding the halls (and if somebody, at any point, unleashes that on the fortress, I WILL be reverting this to the last good save before that.  You literally have to be trying to flood the fort to accomplish that- your miners stop mining whenever they encounter "Warm Stone".)

There are no links to the Caverns or HFS (yet) to unleash hordes of "Clowns" or Forgotten Beasts in a never-ending foot stamping on the face of the fortress (and I would ask that ANY such links be capable of being sealed by retracted bridge or caved-in.  There's simply no need to expose the fortress to such danger.)

Dwarf Fortress in not a game that defeats you because it's too hard (at least, once a properly-designed fortress has been set up), it's a game that defeats you because you run out of willpower to sort through what needs to be done when you halls are flooded with Miasma, and your Dwarves are murdering each other with reckless abandon (that is, if a tantrum spiral you didn't see coming catches you.  We KNOW there is going to be a tantrum-spiral now, so we can take steps to seal most of the fortress' population in a "Darwin Chamber" to limit the damage...)

Often the best solution to any problem is either to seal most of your population in a bunker and let them kill each other, or seal a small segment of "sane" Dwarves in a bunker (with access to plenty of stone to engrave Memorial Slabs to the rest) and let them wait out whatever is killing the rest of your fortress...

Of course, bunkers can't be dug in a day- they take foresight.  So, I propose that once this mess is over (however it may turn out), we establish a self-contained bunker to help the fortress survive future catastrophes.

Ideally, such a bunker would have access to an obsidian farm to allow unlimited slab-engraving (so murderous ghosts from the main fortress don't slaughter the bunker's inhabitants), access to a (caged or sealed) seed population of baby livestock, plenty of stockpiled (and forbidden) seeds, and access to (forbidden until activation of the bunker) picks, anvils, and new directions to expand in so that it can essentially survive and grow as a separate fortress until whatever is affecting the main fortress is at an end.

Better yet, separate a couple Dwarves from the next migrant wave out, and seal them in such a bunker *ahead of time* as "Groundskeepers".  If they're a married couple, they can keep the fortress going for at least 100 years (Dwarves live much longer then Humans).  And if we're still playing the fortress by that time, I'm sure we can divert a few migrants to marry their (yet unborn) children when that time comes...

This Fortress MUST survive.  THE FUTURE OF THE DWARVEN RACE DEPENDS ON IT (remember, this is the last major site to stand against the Goblin menace since CraftedDawns was conquered...)

Regards,
Northstar

The next update is going to surprise you. Or, maybe it won't.

Regardless,
DoctorMcTaalik

(ps- If you want dwarfed, post a message with your preferred gender/prof/age/whatever, and I'll do my best.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:27:50 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:01 pm »

The next update is going to surprise you. Or, maybe it won't.

Regardless,
DoctorMcTaalik

(ps- If you want dwarfed, post a message with your preferred gender/prof/age/whatever, and I'll do my best.)

Arghhh, the suspense is killing me!

Maybe I could convince you to post a mini-update before you're anywhere near done with the save file and ready to pass it on to the next player in the list?  (I also feel like frequent updates encourage greater detail of reporting, just like longer turn-times make players feel more invested in the fortress and give a greater sense of continuity...)

By the way, if you're naming Dwarves, and the fortress HASN'T managed to descend into a tantrum-spiral (or you pre-emptively contained it), like I said is likely; then dorf me just for the heck of it (after yourself, of course).  I'll leave it up to your judgment what Dwarf would be a good choice- just don't make it some new migrant you've reserved for hauling duties...   :D

Simply "Northstar" will do.  No need for the 1989 part.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:37:57 pm by Northstar1989 »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2014, 11:43:39 pm »

As I failed to complete my turn, this post is considered a dream, or perhaps unhistory- an outcome that never was, but could have been. Consider it a sneak preview (in an out of character sense) of what is to come once I get my greasy pig tail fiber mitts on the fortress.

Familiarizing yourself with the Dwarven Pantheon will make my posts make a lot more sense.

20th Malachite 254-

I wept today, diary, but the tears were tears of joy. The terrible siege which until recently had us cowering in the fortress is finally over! We learned upon lowering the bridge that one of the Dwarves trapped outside, a craftsdwarf by the name of Raluksodel, valiantly risked life and limb to defend her unconscious comrades. Her merciless pummeling of one of the invaders must have terrified the superiorly armed goblins, for they quickly fled.

23rd Malachite 254-
Today, the unexpected happened. A note arrived at my workshop, from the local overseer, naming me his successor. I was unaware of the existence of the office, but upon asking around I learned that it basically means, "King", but with minor stipulations.

My first act as Overlord was to reveal unto my new subjects my true identity: Doctor McTaalik, last priest (and therefore High Priest) of Moldath, and sole survivor of the Burning of the Hidden Temple of Moldath in the Alchemical Jungles. I also took the opportunity to outline for them my plans for the future. Of course, Diary, you were in my pocket the whole time... Surely you remember my rousing speech, in which I meticulously explained each step in my glorious two year plan? I need not recount it here.

I also appointed some new nobles. (ed note: screenshots to be added)

28th Malachite 254-
The ignorance that pervades this fortress disgusts me, Diary.

It is understandable, in times of crisis, to question one's beliefs, and to call the last century a time of crisis would be a gross understatement. When I left the ruins of the Great Library for Pagetower, I suspected to find a reasonable shortage of faith among these uneducated Dwarves.

But what I found, Diary, was a spiritual famine. Of the thirty-seven other dwarves in this fortress, only four profess to worshipping Lady Moldath, and further questioning suggests they are mere "casual" believers. Moldath allowed us into her kingdom! Her earthly body warms us, and shelters us, and allows us to survive in this harsh frozen desert. We owe everything to her, and it's time we pay her our respects.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:00:02 am by DoctorMcTaalik »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24