Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45492 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.08 Succession Game)
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2014, 08:19:34 pm »

Hi,

Not sure if you still have some room left, but if you guys do, I'd like a turn somewhere down the line. I don't pretend to be good at this game, but I hardly see how incompetence and volcano-based infrastructure could mix badly.

Otherwise, just a dwarf named after me would be cool. (no real preferences)

thanks.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2014, 09:15:08 pm »

Hi,

Not sure if you still have some room left, but if you guys do, I'd like a turn somewhere down the line. I don't pretend to be good at this game, but I hardly see how incompetence and volcano-based infrastructure could mix badly.

Otherwise, just a dwarf named after me would be cool. (no real preferences)

thanks.

You're welcome to have a turn, and I've added you to the end of the list.

Whatever you do, just don't mess with the lava.  I repeat, DO NOT MESS WITH THE LAVA.  If you do, and manage to flood the fortress with lava, we'll have to tie you up (ban you from further turns) and think of a slow and excruciating death for your Dwarf, followed by flipping the lever on the secret time-machine (we'll load up the last save before your turn) to undue all your harm by preventing you from ever becoming overseer.  Don't make us do that.   8)

That being said, there's plenty of other good stuff to do around your fortress!  I look forward to your first turn! (though my own 2nd turn is starting to look like it won't occur for a distressingly long time...)

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  You shouldn't really have much need to play with the lava anyways.  I've already established enough Magma Kilns and Magma Smelters to serve even the most enormous of fortresses.  The ONLY really useful thing left to do with the the lava is to establish heated wells once we access the Aquifer (and desalinate some water).  Other than that, lava is just a pretty (and VERY, VERY DANGEROUS) toy that you probably shouldn't be messing with in a succession fortress if you don't know what you're doing...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:19:14 pm by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2014, 09:39:00 pm »

This following excepts are more to tantalize Northstar than anything. I will do most of my turn tomorrow, unless real life decides otherwise.

(Also: Because I had to play on a mac, I'm using the default tileset. Sorry, I hope to switch back to a PC soon.)

Familiarizing yourself with the Dwarven Pantheon will make my posts make a lot more sense.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

20th Malachite 254-

I wept today, diary, but the tears were tears of joy. The terrible siege which until recently had us cowering in the fortress is finally over! We learned upon lowering the bridge that one of the Dwarves trapped outside, a craftsdwarf by the name of Raluksodel, valiantly risked life and limb to defend her unconscious comrades. Her merciless pummeling of one of the invaders must have terrified the superiorly armed goblins, for they quickly fled.

23rd Malachite 254-
Today, the unexpected happened. A note arrived at my workshop, from the local overseer, naming me his successor. I was unaware of the existence of the office, but upon asking around I learned that it basically means, "King", but with minor stipulations.

My first act as Overlord was to reveal unto my new subjects my true identity: Doctor McTaalik, last priest (and therefore High Priest) of Moldath, and sole survivor of the Burning of the Hidden Temple of Moldath in the Alchemical Jungles. I also took the opportunity to outline for them my plans for the future. Of course, Diary, you were in my pocket the whole time... Surely you remember my rousing speech, in which I meticulously explained each step in my glorious two year plan? I need not recount it here.

I also appointed some new nobles. (ed note: screenshots to be added)

28th Malachite 254-
The ignorance that pervades this fortress disgusts me, Diary.

It is understandable, in times of crisis, to question one's beliefs, and to call the last century a time of crisis would be a gross understatement. When I left the ruins of the Great Library for Pagetower, I suspected to find a reasonable shortage of faith among these uneducated Dwarves.

But what I found, Diary, was a spiritual famine. Of the thirty-seven other dwarves in this fortress, only four profess to worshipping Lady Moldath, and further questioning suggests they are mere "casual" believers. Moldath allowed us into her kingdom! Her earthly body warms us, and shelters us, and allows us to survive in this harsh frozen desert. We owe everything to her, and it's time we pay her our respects.

Excellent mini-update!  I look forward to the rest of what you have to post.

I guess I should have seen that coming- several of the Goblins were nothing more than unarmed, untrained Recruits (including the one who took a pummeling).  It looks like the experienced Goblins just decided to round up a bunch of civilians to act as meat-shields to travel with them, but then ended up chasing their friend when he went running crying back to his Goblin mommy...  Oh well- it's for the good of our fortress.

Don't forget though, the tragedy isn't over quite yet.  The Expedition Leader who fell and broke his spine before isn't going to be able to feed or water himself anytime soon, and unless you're quite quick about digging down to the Aquifer and setting up a functional desalinization system (using a Screw Pump to remove the salt- though you can use buckets to raise the water to where it's needed), he will probably die of thirst sooner or later.  Don't forget to assign somebody else as Expedition Leader before that (possibly) happens!

Also, you need to set up a hospital after you develop a secure source of fresh (and clean!) water.  I could provide you with a few pointers about the best way to do this if you're interested...  In the meantime, I suggest checking the Wiki for some pointers about how to circumnavigate some of the biggest bugs with hospitals (like the Dwarves stocking the chests will all the thread/cloth in the fortress...)

I'm sure you'll have your hands busy with all this, plus the suggestions I left you on the Notes Screen and here on this thread, and your apparent plans to build some sort of altar or temple to the Dwarven God of Volcanoes (though I suggest you take care of building a hospital and water source BEFORE you undertake that project- it wouldn't be fair to our former Expedition Leader to leave him to die of thirst just because you're too busy building some worthless temple...  Let the Dwarves worship in private- in their closets if need be.)  Just don't forget to take screenshots and write notes to yourself so you can keep all of us updated on what you're doing!

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:01:58 pm by Northstar1989 »

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
  • We must not allow a mineshaft gap
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:07 pm »

Looks interesting, put me down for a turn

Erm, what about me?

Also, I assume we'll be updating to .40.09 when it comes out, providing saves aren't broken?

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2014, 10:33:13 pm »

May I please be dorfed?

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »

Looks interesting, put me down for a turn

Erm, what about me?

Also, I assume we'll be updating to .40.09 when it comes out, providing saves aren't broken?

Whoops, looks like I missed you there.

I'll insert you between Taupe and Meme, since that's when you posted.

Depends what bug-fixes are included in 0.40.09, and whether they're compatible with new saves.  Often, I find that new versions break older versions- and 0.40.08 seems to be perfectly stable; though of course we can try having players run the latest uploaded save when 0.40.09 comes out, and see what happens...

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:13:11 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2014, 11:10:35 pm »

May I please be dorfed?

You'll have to ask DoctorMcTaalik about that, since he's the one currently taking his turn.

Also, do you just want to be dorfed, or do you want a turn as well?  Keep in mind that at some point we're going to have to draw a line and say "no more new players for now" in order to give existing players a reasonable chance at having a 2nd turn.  I was expecting we wouldn't reach this point for a LONG time- but the rate of growth in players is really surprising me...  I'm thinking not more than 12 or 15 players in total- DoctorMcTaalik, what do you think about this?  (PM me)

Regards,
Northstar

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2014, 11:13:07 pm »

New fortress and long (2 years) turns means we get a short and easily approachable thread. My guess anyway.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2014, 11:20:08 pm »

New fortress and long (2 years) turns means we get a short and easily approachable thread. My guess anyway.

Well, I don't know about "short"- this thread has already exceeded 5 pages on my browser.  But appealing, likely- I decided to go with 2 year turns for a reason (it gives a much greater sense of continuity to the fort), and it seems like most players like the idea.

By the way, this goes for any player- if you complete your turn in LESS than 72 hours, you're perfectly free to upload the file sooner.  Just because players like me (I had the first turn, after all, and a LOT of things to get in order to put the fortress on solid footing) and DoctorMcTaalik took most of our turn time doesn't mean you have to as well.  The quicker the turns, the more players we can add into the rotation and the less time you'll have to wait for a second (or even third) turn.

2-3 turns per player may sound optimistic- but I don't see anything happening to the fortress anytime soon.  As it stands, the walls are already practically impenetrable, and the fortress is capable of producing everything it needs within those walls.  That's only going to become more of a pronounced effect as new players improve the fortifications (with new towers, causeways, 2nd and 3rd layers of wall, etc.) and expand the fortress further...  I imagine something like a Dwarven Minas Tirith as the final state of our fortress...

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:22:23 pm by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2014, 11:40:51 pm »

Just saw this is the Bay12 Games Changelog (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/), and couldn't help but think it might have prevented the nearly fortress-ending disaster which got our poor Expedition Leader crippled before:

"Made creatures prefer to flee normally if possible (rather than jumping off cliffs etc.)"

I also saw notes on fixing the raws for pineapples (they are indeed currently a little bit bugged- as I noticed when embarking with pineapples to found this fortress), on creating warnings when Embarking if your civ is dead (this might have popped up in our game as our civ was limited to a few captured Kobold Caves), and on creating announcements if one of your fort members assumes a civ-level position (such as King/Queen- this might affect us in the future if the current Merchant acting as King/Queen gets killed in a future ambush of the Dwarven Caravan...)

We *MIGHT* want to update to 0.40.09 after all.  I've never actually bothered with updating saves before- does anybody know the best way to update one?  I was thinking we might want to replace all the Raws inside the save file once a version of Ironhand is released for 0.40.09

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:42:50 pm by Northstar1989 »

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2014, 06:43:19 pm »

Wow. What a crazy start. It sounds like things are mostly fine and most of the basics are set up. But the cliffs and the wandering during sieges made things crazy. Generally, I try to avoid that by putting everything underground. I found it interesting that you decided to build walls and structures on the surface instead. But it probably helps more in the long run, particularly with the terrain. I'm just glad I didn't go second. In addition to being gone this weekend, I do not clean up other people's messes particularly well.

Also, what of the turkeys? It sounds like we have a steady population of a lot of good domestic animals, including pigs. But it also seemed like we lost some turkeys. This worries me. Do we still have enough left for breeding?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2014, 08:29:11 pm »

The turkeys are to be fed year-round, and butchered on dwarfsgiving.

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
  • We must not allow a mineshaft gap
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:20 am »

Honestly I was thinking of the marriage and wagon bugs. I'd rather not need to use the deconstruct Trade Depot exploit and if our parent civilization is as dead as it appears, we may need to grow our own reinforcements.

As for how to update the save, I must confess I just use the tool in the Starter Pack (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2014, 01:46:47 pm »

Honestly I was thinking of the marriage and wagon bugs. I'd rather not need to use the deconstruct Trade Depot exploit and if our parent civilization is as dead as it appears, we may need to grow our own reinforcements.

As for how to update the save, I must confess I just use the tool in the Starter Pack (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0)

Well, first of all, it's not an exploit.  Deconstructing a Trade Depot registers *exactly* the same as seizing all the goods on board it (all the goods count as stolen and the parent civ notes the lack of their return).  True, in the current version you can't normally seize goods from your parent civ- but desperate times call for desperate measures, and I had no problem doing so once early in the fortress history when those sniveling merchants insisted on leaving the fort before I could get any trade goods to the depot...

Anyways, we'll definitely look at updating the save to 0.40.09 if it's possible.

Second, DoctorMcTaalik, I just wanted to remind you that there are currently 4 hours and 12 minutes left in your turn to both finish your play and upload your save (a report would also be nice).  Tick-tock...

Regards,
Northstar

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2014, 10:40:22 pm »

@DoctorMcTaalik

Have you completed your turn yet?  You've now exceeded your allotted 72 hours by several hours, and it's getting very late in most American/European time zones...  It would be best if you could get your turn uploaded As Soon As Possible.

Everyone else, although I doubt DoctorMcTaalik will fail to post the save and his log/journal soon, I just want to remind everyone that you need to be timely with your posts to keep this moving along.  If you are more than 24 hours overdue on posting your save after confirming receipt of it (that is, more than 96 hours past the time the save before yours was posted- you only get 24 hours to grab the save in the first place though), we will skip your turn and the next player is the list then has 24 hours to confirm they've downloaded the most recently posted save, and 48 more hours from that point to complete their turn (they will still have up to 72 hours if they from the time their turn was announced to complete their turn if they're quick on the ball).

Regards,
Northstar

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24