Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 45440 times)

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.08 Succession Game)
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2014, 02:46:04 pm »

This is not looking well. Have you been able to contact him? Perhaps something happened? I find it strange that since he was basically running this thing with you.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:59 pm »

If I may suggest: Alter the turn list to have discrete dates for when each Player may upload "the latest save" for their turn.  If a Player through some misfortune hasn't uploaded a link to their turn's save by the time the next turn rolls around, well, chalk the missed chance to be part of the world's history up to "a learning experience" and stick 'em on the end of the turn list for another go.  In this manner, no-one has the power to hold the entire game hostage and people who want to join can then know in advance when their turn will be coming around and be able to add that to their schedules well in advance.  The moderator only needs to add new dates to turn-takers on the list, because the game self-perpetuates until no-one downloads any more saves, naturally concluding the game. 

Those who wish specific dates (due to scheduling conflicts) may be slotted into the appropriate turn number in this manner as well.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:13:59 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2014, 05:46:30 pm »

If I may suggest: Alter the turn list to have discrete dates for when each Player may upload "the latest save" for their turn.  If a Player through some misfortune hasn't uploaded a link to their turn's save by the time the next turn rolls around, well, chalk the missed chance to be part of the world's history up to "a learning experience" and stick 'em on the end of the turn list for another go.  In this manner, no-one has the power to hold the entire game hostage and people who want to join can then know in advance when their turn will be coming around and be able to add that to their schedules well in advance.  The moderator only needs to add new dates to turn-takers on the list, because the game self-perpetuates until no-one downloads any more saves, naturally concluding the game. 

Those who wish specific dates (due to scheduling conflicts) may be slotted into the appropriate turn number in this manner as well.

That's actually *exactly* what's already been limited with the 24-48/72-24 hour turn limits.

And on that note, Doctor McTaalik has only 16 minutes left to upload his save or exceed the last of those 24 hour limits- I just haven't bothered to write down for you guys the actual times these represent, due to possible confusion from us all being in different time zones.

I'll cut him a little extra slack (24 more hours) since I decided on the final limit AFTER he began his turn, and without his co-consent (out of necessity, since I haven't been able to contact him).  But if DoctorMcTaalik hasn't uploaded by exactly 6:00 tomorrow in my time zone (it's 5:48 now), we'll skip his turn and InifiniteCastor (the next player on the list) has permission to begin again from my save.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:48:53 pm by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2014, 07:54:13 pm »

Confirming that I have the save. If this is how it will be, I will post my next turn post-haste.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2014, 08:16:29 pm »

The real victim here are the dwarves who jumped down the wall in the middle of a siege... they got miraculously rescued and carried inside, then lived happily for almost two years... Only to realise that this was all just a dream induced by the blood loss. they are still down the wall, crippled and surrounded. their nightmare is far from over.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2014, 09:49:17 pm »

The real victim here are the dwarves who jumped down the wall in the middle of a siege... they got miraculously rescued and carried inside, then lived happily for almost two years... Only to realise that this was all just a dream induced by the blood loss. they are still down the wall, crippled and surrounded. their nightmare is far from over.

That's true. I think Northstar might have to leave upgraded suggestions to try and re-simulate what the late doctor (that's how I'm going to refer to him from now on) did to save some of them from the Goblin siege. Also, didn't Northstar say something about a possible way to save the expedition leader? Perhaps there would be a way to finesse it better?

Anyway, the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know why he would just vanish like that once his turn started, especially with how he volunteered to help co-host this. It was only the second turn. I get the feeling something went wrong. Not much we can do about it, though. I guess the late doctor missed his chance.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:32 pm »

He obviously found a way to save the fallen dwarves, but that involved something dark, like making pacts with shadowy individual or selling one's soul. The price proved to costy, and now the late Doctor is gone...

Let us learn from his mistake: One shall not bargain with Krhan-Zelag, the ancient volcano spirit, for his schemes are as the fire itself: Warm and inviting, but in the end, they shall consume all. Except for a yearly sacrifice, obviously. We don't really want the volcano god to get MAD at us.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:08:15 pm by Taupe »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 12:21:02 am »

Confirming that I have the save. If this is how it will be, I will post my next turn post-haste.

Unfortunately, that is how it will have to be, as much as it pains me (unless the Doctor miraculously comes out of the woodworks with his save before then- in which case *you* will have the choice between overwriting his save, or being offered as much of 4 game-years as you can play in 72 hours as compensation for scrapping your years 2-4 save and using the Doctor's year 4 upload...)

You have until 6:00 PM, 23 August Central Time (I don't know what that comes out to in your time zone) to upload your next turn.  If you have not posted by 6:00 PM, 24 August Central Time, we will skip your turn in course and move onto the NEXT person on the list.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:24:06 am by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2014, 12:33:34 am »

Indeed.  DoctorMcTaalik has demonstrated it is POSSIBLE (with a little luck, at least) to save the Dwarves though.

That's true. I think Northstar might have to leave upgraded suggestions to try and re-simulate what the late doctor (that's how I'm going to refer to him from now on) did to save some of them from the Goblin siege. Also, didn't Northstar say something about a possible way to save the expedition leader? Perhaps there would be a way to finesse it better?

I believe what you remember my saying was just the opposite- namely that the Expedition Leader was still doomed (due to his broken lower spine) even after the Doctor managed to drive off the Goblins, unless the Doctor could delve down to the Aquifer *AND* set up a functional desalinization system before the poor Dwarf dies of thirst...

The best way to drive off the Goblins, however, appears to be to draft the Dwarves outside the walls into the military and have them start beating on the nearest Goblin Recruit (NOT one of the trained warrior-Goblins), as DoctorMcTaalik already so beautifully demonstrated for us.

Don't try it in 0.40.09 (to which we haven't yet updated) though- the Morale system might have received a few tweaks in the latest patch (of course, so did the Dwarven tendency to jump off cliffs to escape invaders, even when already safely out-of-reach, which CAUSED the whole mess...)

Anyway, the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know why he would just vanish like that once his turn started, especially with how he volunteered to help co-host this. It was only the second turn. I get the feeling something went wrong. Not much we can do about it, though. I guess the late doctor missed his chance.

Perhaps he dug too deeply in search of water for the Expedition Leader (nobody actually knows how far down the Aquifer is), and unleashed some dark power of the underworld upon the fortress?    :-X

Of course, if one of you DOES manage to destroy the fortress on your turn, don't delay in uploading the save/report.  The whole thing will become a "dream" (at least this early on), and we will revert to the last good save.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:59:19 am by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2014, 12:39:11 am »

He obviously found a way to save the fallen dwarves, but that involved something dark, like making pacts with shadowy individual or selling one's soul. The price proved to costy, and now the late Doctor is gone...

Let us learn from his mistake: One shall not bargain with Krhan-Zelag, the ancient volcano spirit, for his schemes are as the fire itself: Warm and inviting, but in the end, they shall consume all. Except for a yearly sacrifice, obviously. We don't really want the volcano god to get MAD at us.

Don't say I didn't warn you all about the dangers of volcanoes.   :P

Moldath, the Dwarven Goddess of Volcanoes (check the Doctor's mythology post), does not take kindly to Dwarven sacrifices, however.  And she weeps to see good Goblinite and Dwarf-sized clothing burned within her fires if Goblins are thrown into the volcano depths without being properly stripped first (you can due this by "Dumping" all the items being worn or held by a Goblin while they are caged).

The only PROPER gift to such a fierce yet benevolent goddess is something cute and fluffy- like a whole litter of newborn kittens that just *happen* to have all adopted owners immediately after birth (making them ineligible for being made into delicious +Cat Roasts+), and threaten the fortress with a cat-splosion...  In which case, the kittens shall be duly "pitted" within the volcano rim as a due and fitting sacrifice of cute, furry, softness to the secretly cat-loving volcano goddess who yearns to hold them within her fiery embrace.    :o

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  The animal stockpiles had at least a half-dozen caged cats as of the end of my turn.  Somebody just needs to set them free to roam about the fortress, and beget future +Cat Roasts+ and sacrifices to Moldath (depending on whether they adopt an owner), and *occasionally* kittens that are allowed to grow up to perpetuate the next generation of fortress cats...

P.P.S.  Don't forget to set the dogs free as well (pasture them just inside the gate to catch thieves)- so there is something to chase the cats.  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:53:56 am by Northstar1989 »

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »

In a case between using the latest version of the game and using Ironhand, I'd like to know a few opinions before I make any moves.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2014, 09:18:40 pm »

In a case between using the latest version of the game and using Ironhand, I'd like to know a few opinions before I make any moves.

I don't get the question.  Ironhand is currently up-to-date for 0.40.09 (as of when I checked, oh, about 5 minutes ago- and the Ironhand changelog says it was updated 4 days ago), and there should also be an archived version for 0.40.08 on the download site.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8747

Actually updating the save to 0.40.09 takes a little bit of effort, but can be done.  You'll have to overwrite the raws in the save with the raws for Ironhand + 0.40.09

I want to get this going, so unless you're really adamant about using the newest version of DF, just don't give the Dwarves any jobs on the top z-level of the walls (so they don't go up there and jump off in a siege) and use Ironhand + 0.40.08 for now.  Later, maybe next turn or the turn after, we can worry about updating to 0.40.10 (if it's out by that point...)

Dwarf Fortress 0.40.09 actually has a few NEW bugs 0.40.08 did not have.  Of *particular* note, crossbows now fire at approximately the rate of machine guns.  So I WOULDN'T recommend updating until it reaches version 0.40.10, which has already been announced will have a fix for this new bug.

If for some reason you CAN'T get your hands on Ironhand + 0.40.08 (such as you already updated Dwarf Fortress, and can't find the archived version of Ironhand + 0.40.08), then just update to Ironhand + 0.40.09.  You do this by replacing the "Raw" folder in the save (save the original as a backup just in case until you know it works) with a copy of the the "Raw" folder from Ironhand + 0.40.09 (Ironhand comes pre-installed on DF at the link I provided above and in the OP), and nothing else (i.e. don't overwrite the .SAV file or the art files with anything)

You WILL have to do this to update the save.  Per the Ironhand changelog from the link above:

8/17/2014 - Updated to 0.40.09 - Raws have changed

Anytime it says the raws have changed, this means you need to replace the save file raws in order to update a save.

Don't forget your turn is running out (you still only have until 6:00 PM Central Time on August 23rd).  Tick-tock.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:47:28 pm by Northstar1989 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2014, 10:17:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2014, 07:34:13 am »

I made a judgment decision and just decided to pull up 0.40.09 (after getting off a minor game binge that distracted me). We'll see where it goes from there. In the meantime...let's begin.

20th Malachite

The past few days have been...stressful, to say the least. I've been given the position of Overseer, as North has finally grown weary of leadership. Given the situation I was left with, it's understandable, so I took the position with acceptance. I didn't make a journal entry on the first day because of all that was going on, but I can finally say with relief that the goblin attack has recently been routed. One of the brave dwarves trapped outside the walls came to the aid of the injured Tekkud Akirostar, Fish Dissector.

I was told to my surprise that he literally "punched the goblin's head into pieces" after severely beating it.

His heroism will be remembered, as now one more dwarf is safe and the rest of the greenskins run in fear. But soon, they will be back, and I intend to be ready for the next time that takes place. So, as my next order of business, I'm ordering a staircase carved down into the mountain.

With any luck, we'll find some good metals to make into weapons and armour. Copper will work for now, just not to be unarmed, but we are dwarves, and can always forge better. I also would like to carve more proper lodgings; one can only feel comfortable for so long in such cramped accomodations. To this end, I've reassigned a few workers with unusable labours to mining. Soon we will be able to carve out a true fortress. As well, the walls atop the mountain are having fortifications carved into them as I write this.

In the meantime, no other matters stand. Our food supplies are adequate for now. We are safe in our home, and our people work diligently.

So begins the year.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:36:55 am by InfiniteCastor »

Wacksonoff

• Bay Watcher
  • I just work here, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2014, 08:34:57 am »

Can I be dorfed? As anyone really.
This is an exceptional golden figurine of a Peregrine Falcon. All Maltese craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Baguette-cut diamonds. It is covered in black lacquer. The item is a masterfully designed image of a pointed cross. The pointed cross is the symbol of the Knights Hospitaller.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24