Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to display a figurine  (Read 2955 times)

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
how to display a figurine
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:13:30 pm »

Crafty McUrist just made a figurine worth 90,000, and I'd like to display it in the dining room.  Like my dorfs, I've had a bit too much whiskey and can't figure out how to do this.  Any suggestions are truly appreciated.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: how to display a figurine
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:27:09 pm »

Figurines are finished goods, and cannot be displayed.

You can build statues, though. That artifact is pretty much just saying "Attack this fortress! We have cool shit!"
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:24:08 pm »

There is no way to do this in vanilla DF.  However, there are a few mods that allow you to build display cases to put stuff in.

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:32:47 pm »

thanks to both of you.  I'm looking forward to the extra !FUN! this will create.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 02:13:01 am »

So a artifact-quality figurine-only stockpile in the main hall wouldn't create good feelings? :( If not, then my scepter-loving baroness probably doesn't appreciate the massive scepter storage I've added to their bedroom :| Or my public bin-less stockpiles of masterwork gems..

.. Then again, I doubt it'd be balanced if a dwarf got 300 good feelings just from passing by a massive stockpile of masterful items..

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 04:05:50 am »

You can use dfhack in earlier versions to put things on tables. This is what I do when I get artefact craftables.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 01:27:50 pm »

So a artifact-quality figurine-only stockpile in the main hall wouldn't create good feelings? :( If not, then my scepter-loving baroness probably doesn't appreciate the massive scepter storage I've added to their bedroom :| Or my public bin-less stockpiles of masterwork gems..

.. Then again, I doubt it'd be balanced if a dwarf got 300 good feelings just from passing by a massive stockpile of masterful items..

correct.  Items need to be built to produce the thoughts.  Furniture must be placed etc.  The mods work by adding a 'display case' workshop which accepts absolutely any item as one of the build materials, thus making that item 'visible' to the dwarves.

That said a dwarf could in theory get a happy thought by handling an item they are fond of, so if you can get the baroness to haul the sceptre somehow she should see it.  (Theory: Burrow and trade depot only she can reach?)

This is true of fortress and room value too.  Your furniture score increases when you place it, not make it (is armour/weapons value only that held?  dont know), and this is why you use artifact mechanisms in levers in dining rooms/bedrooms.  Unfortunately artifact goods like figurines are destined to never be appreciated or impact a room value since you cannot integrate them into the value in vanilla df.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:34:49 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.