Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legs as temporary crutches?  (Read 1708 times)

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
Legs as temporary crutches?
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »

So, a couple weeks ago I was playing Roll to Dodge on this site. And one thing led to another, and I had my leg chopped off. Nothing seemed promising while I was stationary, so I picked my leg up and used it as a crutch. Why can't we do that in DF? It shouldn't be as good as a real crutch (2op4me), but losing something as silly as a leg should not be an immediate death sentence.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: Legs as temporary crutches?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 05:11:17 pm »

I think someone already suggested this for you Here. Uses a quote from you, even.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 05:13:53 pm »

Losing a leg is serious business.  Even with medical attention.  Its not like you have sterile tools or even a god way to stop the bleeding.

A legs have the tendency to have joints and bend.  You may as well suggest using a stick as an impromptu crutch.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:33:38 pm »

Its not like you have sterile tools or even a god way to stop the bleeding.
Yeah, gods don't really answer prayers right now. Though, I guess fast travel could be considered supernatural healing.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:56:16 pm »

Its not like you have sterile tools or even a god way to stop the bleeding.
Yeah, gods don't really answer prayers right now. Though, I guess fast travel could be considered supernatural healing.

The last time I cried out to my god, he crashed the game. I don't know if that was an answered prayer, or not.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 01:22:07 pm »

Alternative crutches in general are a good idea. Being able to prop yourself up with your halberd for a bit, for instance.
Everything's in the news today

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:31:06 pm »

Alternative crutches in general are a good idea. Being able to prop yourself up with your halberd for a bit, for instance.
This will be a nice side-effect of the far-future development where items actually have shapes.  Right now everything is a rectangular block except weapons.  They are rectangular blocks with a raised circle or edge defined by the contact area.

It's not worth the coding effort to stick in [IMPROMPTU_CRUTCH] into a bunch of items.  Down the road with reasonable shape data, a class of improvised items can be defined in the raws (the improved crutch would have a certain length and need to be liftable with one hand, the improvised table needs a flat surface within reach, etc.).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 02:58:51 am »

Legs have knees

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 04:02:24 am »

Well, not in DF. There's upper leg and lower leg, but no knee. In other words, the only reason to assume legs in DF can bend at all is because of the GRASP (I think. Whichever one allows wrestling, anyway) tag, which doesn't actually make that much sense.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 04:19:50 am »

Well, not in DF. There's upper leg and lower leg, but no knee. In other words, the only reason to assume legs in DF can bend at all is because of the GRASP (I think. Whichever one allows wrestling, anyway) tag, which doesn't actually make that much sense.

So legs are segmented?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 05:25:17 am »

Well, yeah, I guess. Same with arms.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 06:58:48 am »

BODY:HUMANOID_JOINTS asks why you never return its calls. :P Though it admits that it has no idea where its brother for quadruped joints ever has been.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 09:05:37 am »

The last time I cried out to my god, he crashed the game. I don't know if that was an answered prayer, or not.

Sounds like the old testament god to me. Perhaps you prayer was answered.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...