Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish airdrowning in brooks  (Read 1576 times)

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fish airdrowning in brooks
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »

It appears that the game thinks this brook is a river, so fish are airdrowning on top.

It's a musselcre.[badumtsh]
Anyone else having this problem with brook embarks?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Fish airdrowning in brooks
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:33:26 pm »

Sounds like prime fodder for a bug report and save upload.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:41:43 pm »

Can it be that you have a fisherdwarf but no stockpile that accepts raw fish? Fisherdwarfs who can't store their catch will drop it where they stand and just continue fishing. Mussels are vermin and as such normally don't get displayed before they're caught. They shouldn't be subject to air-drowning; brooks _are_ rivers as far as vermin fish and fishery are concerned.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:40:34 am »

Oh god.

Proudnerd, forum user cancels react to pun: horrified.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:26 am »

Oh god.

Proudnerd, forum user cancels react to pun: horrified.

It was inevitable.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:50:24 am »

Can it be that you have a fisherdwarf but no stockpile that accepts raw fish? Fisherdwarfs who can't store their catch will drop it where they stand and just continue fishing. Mussels are vermin and as such normally don't get displayed before they're caught. They shouldn't be subject to air-drowning; brooks _are_ rivers as far as vermin fish and fishery are concerned.
This is exactly what's happening here. Nothing unusual - I see it all the time when I do a Play Now embark to test things (especially when I also turn on "fastdwarf" in DFHack).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:17:17 pm »

On the topic of brooks, is it possible to make them not brooks; i.e. they flow and stay as infinite water sources but you can't walk on them.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 03:19:46 pm »

On the topic of brooks, is it possible to make them not brooks; i.e. they flow and stay as infinite water sources but you can't walk on them.

I think you mean a River. Just putting that out there. I'm voting to call rivers Notbrooks from now on though. If noone else does I'm going to.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:19:25 pm »

Yes, you have to (carefully) channel out all the tiles over the brook.  You won't be able to get the tiles at the edge of the map, but all the others can be channeled out.

I typically do this to create choke points.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:19:12 pm »

Now we wait for giant fish to airdrown, but not mermaids.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.