Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does this mean I'm doing it right?  (Read 4001 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does this mean I'm doing it right?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 02:27:22 pm »

Sieges seem to be only one squad everytime now.

I had a siege yesterday that was about 20 trolls and 30 goblins.

Fortunately, half the trolls ran away upon seeing one lone hammerdwarf. The rest were enough to clog up all the disc traps on my dodge-fall walkway, but the one troll that made it across unharmed was so shell shocked by walking through all the gore that it was trivial for one of my squads to take out.

Half the goblins were dealt with by the aforementioned hammerdwarf, who went into a martial trance and proceeded to dance across the screen leaving a trail of unconscious bodies behind him. After knocking out the last one who was near him, he came out of the trance, saw what he'd done, and immediately went into shock and just stood there for most of the rest of the battle. So I sent the rest of his squad to him. Some of them went into shock immediately upon seeing the battlefield with all the carnage. The other half proceeded to finish off the unconscious goblins. A dwarf would walk up to a goblin and kill it, then go into shock for a while because he'd killed something. It was a very slow mopping up process.

Of the rest of the goblins, most got to the dodge-fall area, saw the mess that had previously been 8 or 10 trolls, and ran away.

It was a very bizarre siege.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 02:29:36 pm »

Thats why I always embark with 'useful' miners.  Mining isnt moodable anyway, so give them a backup trade that is, as a starting dwarf theres a better chance of them mooding than most since they will be available for every selection. 

Mining is moodable. I've had a miner have a mood in 40.0?. He took a mason's workshop, just like it says in the Strange Mood wiki page.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 01:01:37 am »

Thats why I always embark with 'useful' miners.  Mining isnt moodable anyway, so give them a backup trade that is, as a starting dwarf theres a better chance of them mooding than most since they will be available for every selection. 

Mining is moodable. I've had a miner have a mood in 40.0?. He took a mason's workshop, just like it says in the Strange Mood wiki page.

Keith

Every dwarf can have a mood, but each mood is generally related to a skill. What item did he create? If he wasn't possessed, he would have jumped to legendary in a skill too, that'd be the "mood able skill" used
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 02:15:20 am »

My miners only have mining skill. If mining wasn't a moodable skill, he would have taken a craftsdwarf shop like anyone else with no moodable skill. Instead he took a mason's shop. I don't remember what he created, something useless, as usual. Nor do I remember what type of mood it was. It was a Fort I abandoned when a newer version came out.

Keith

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 02:17:45 am »

Interesting... I'm out of ideas then
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 06:01:45 pm »

Dont recall if it maxed Mining or Masonry?  I've had a miner mood, and he made something like a hatch cover or grating.   But I can't remember what skill went up.   I've never been one to worry about miners mooding anyway:  I seem to get legendary miners pretty easily by the time I've dug out seperate livign quarters for all my migrants.  Masonry is cool I guess, but I think I'd much more prefer a mechanic, armorsmith, weaponsmith or the like.   I fall on the guns side of the mix, rather than butter.   

So, the Were Zebra is turning into a neat little opportunity in that dwarves are often going by the refuse pit and getting horrified.  I might even move the dang thing to inside the tower, to further train discipline.  Maybe in the barracks?
Pages: 1 [2]