Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tavern Arc Suggestions Thread  (Read 2774 times)

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern Arc Suggestions Thread
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:48:22 am »

With the development of Taverns right around the corner (after the Dwarven Brain Surgery Arc, methinks), we should decide what we, as a community, want out of the taverns. Call it preemptive feature creep.

Most of these suggestions will have been made before, and many have already made it into the dev list, but this thread will be one-stop shopping for tavern suggestions. I will try to have links to relevant posts and threads, so the original ideas can be expanded upon.

Some suggestions, from both me, posters on this thread, and similar ideas in other threads:

Reworked Migration:

Activities:
  • Musical instrument use, dancing, storytelling, etc. (dev)
  • Gambling (dev)
  • Games (dev)
  • Drunken Brawls

Other Ideas:

Requirements:
If you have anything to add or know where something has been expanded on, please post!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:12:00 pm by Zarathustra30 »
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Arc Suggestions Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:48:50 am »

Some of my ideas:

Reworked Migration
Migration, currently, is a bit silly. Dwarves are sent from the Parent Civilization to populate your fortress, not caring whether they like it there or not, and with no way to leave again if they don't.  Transitive populations provide an alternative. Dwarves in the pool of drunkards could decide they like your settlement enough to decide to stay. Additionally, you could finally impose citizenship requirements on migrants, and only allow the cream of the crop (Disclaimer: Zarathustra30 nor associates do not endorse Dwarven Eugenics in any way, shape, or form).

Inebriated brawling
Speaking of Drunk Tanks, some of the non-dwarf taverngoers will not be able to hold their liquor. They will become unruly and need to be detained by your fortress guard.  From there, a wise overseer would be sure to carry out justice to prevent it from happening again.  Imprisoning non-residents is far more productive than imprisoning masterwork crafters for not making enough crowns.

Religion
Sometimes a Religious Fanatic or a High Priest will come to your fortress, spreading the word of Knurd, God of Alcohol Dependency. A few dwarves may convert, and a noble Priest may be anointed (complete with demands for a temple).  If all goes well, religious pilgrims will start to arrive and pay a tithe for the "maintenance" of the temple. If you are large enough, you may be host to multiple religions, which may cause Fun in the dining rooms.

Plague
With all of those filthy immigrants (racism not intended), a disease is bound to turn up. One dwarf in twenty may show up with Swine Flu. If not quickly quarantined, the plague will spread. If things go disastrously wrong, the transient population could flee, spreading the disease to other sites. It would be very Fun to be on receiving end of a swarm of plague refugees still in the incubation stage.

Feel free to expand.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:54:45 pm by Zarathustra30 »
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:50 am »

Having an actual tavern where the weary travelers come to eat, sleep and booze up would require an at least basic economy. What with paying for lodging and whatnot.
Which would require stack handling to get fixed first.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:16:00 am »

Some of the economy suggestions work around stack handling, with the coins not really existing until the dwarf's death, when he drops his coin bag, and then only if he has no one to pass on his coins to. Essentially coins become abstract, and all you have to do is ensure that there are as many as required in your fort's vault.

But anyway, I love the idea of having a tavern in my fort where weary travellers come to rest. What I'd like to see:

Mercenaries hanging out in taverns who will join your military in exchange for a large salary.
Actual thieves trading their stolen goods in taverns from time to time.
Misc travellers bringing rumours from outside.
Barfights when tavern-goers are drunk enough and have opposed enough views.
Idlers hanging out in taverns having a chance of joining up with travellers and leaving the fort if they're unhappy.

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff but that's a large bit of it from me :)
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

vache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »

One scenario I've always imagined is a soldier or a group of soldiers that were set upon by a megabeast.  Either it wounded a bunch of the patrol or they saw it and backed away to your fort for backup.  Either way, now it's coming for you!  If the soldiers survived, they might help out as a temporary squad.  If they survive that, some of them might want to join your fort permanently (ask the mountainhome to station them there?).

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »

One scenario I've always imagined ..
The first scenario you thought of wasn't the Dwarven Prison Colony where you get sent criminals, pickpockets and other generally unwanted riffraff from the Mountainhomes to house in your subterranean supermax complex?
The one where your involuntary migrants try to escape by digging out of their cells and into a magma reservoir, and where the ambushes and sieges might try to bust specific people out?
The scenario where your standing (and thus trade opportunities) with the Mountainhomes depend on your ability to make life for your "migrants" miserable, but still keeping them fed and alive?

A megabeast attacking your fort sounds pretty cool, though.

Step up your game, Vache.
You're part of the community now.

Hartsteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:29:33 pm »

Those are my ideas on what to do with the visitors. There are many more facets of design that must be thunk upon. What do you guys want to see?

I want to see dwarves (and other critters) properly use mugs, cups, etc. And it would be nice for some dwarves to have a bad thought seeing roomies drink out of barrels (yuck!).

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:56:46 pm »

You guys say "join your military" but some of them are bound to not be dwarves, I can easily see humans and goblins (gross) come to your tavern, maybe a few elves.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 07:58:38 pm »

I've reformatted the thread and included some additional suggestions.

Hopfully there will be more posts this time

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:17:14 pm »

1 in 20 seems a bit much for the swine flu. I'd keep more like 1 in 124, with lower chances for worse plagues. And I haven't seen anything about taverns being developed, could someone point me to that?

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:46:27 pm »

He talks about it way back when in his January 2013 FotF response:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: dhokarena56
You've mentioned that once this release and the bugfix releases following it are out, you've got several directions to choose from in terms of where to go development-wise. What are some of those directions you're looking at?

Inns and taverns (both modes), dwarf mode start scenarios and hill/deep dwarves (these'll be necessary before we do any dwarf mode army stuff), criminal justice system stuff...  but I'm really not sure.  And during the bugfix releases, there might be more focused additions as well.

Edit:Fixed link
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:15:05 am by Zarathustra30 »

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 12:36:51 am »

How would currency exchange be handled? - In adventure mode you can only use the coins of a specific civilisation to buy their wares. Would a travelling foreigner with coins from 'human land' be able to pay his bar tab? It would seem pretty pointless to set up an exchange system, seeing that gold is gold and silver is silver and therefore worth the same. If a civilisation were to see gold or silver as worth more or less than another civilisation, they should simply demand more coins rather than having to exchange to their currency. Although I assume problems like these would already be handled by the time proper taverns and economics are implemented.

Actually on topic: I'd like to be able to use my fortress guard to selectively detain both citizens and outsiders for imprisonment or interrogation, as the fortress overseer. One thing I'm concerned about with the tavern behaving as a profitable industry is the sheer amount of income the tavern owner would receive (Making the assumption that it would be the only of the kind), I would imagine the nobles constantly getting grumpy over how "That filthy tavern owner has more money than me". Do we as the overseer construct taverns? (In which case we could prevent monopoly).
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 01:43:01 am »

I had assumed that taverns would be communally owned like most things in the fortress. The tavern keeper would just serve drinks. Any profits would be distributed among citizens (or just be "unowned" like most items).

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 01:48:11 am »

Generally, in order for things to be bought and sold there must be some form of transaction between the individual whom owns it and the individual that wishes to own said item. (Not to sound patronising). Not to say that a communism style system wouldn't work, just that in previous economic implementations dwarves bought and sold what they wanted - which was the system I imagined to be re-implemented when proper taverns and economics are also implemented.

I'm not sure how it'll turn out, I just wanted to state possible problems in such system.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:36 am »

What I imagined was that all food and drink would be owned by the fortress and would be sold to only visitors. Citizens wouldn't have to pay, at least until the economy is fully implemented, and even then, they would be buying from the fortress, not the tavern.
Pages: [1] 2