Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tavern Arc Suggestions Thread  (Read 2775 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Arc Suggestions Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 02:34:24 pm »

I personally think it's time for humans in adventure mode to have different buildings for industry. And trade routes to exchange goods

- Mine - small hole in the ground, tunnels follows ore or coal, skipping useless stone, populated by miners
-- Smelters - where bars are made and shipped off
-- Forge - where metal furniture and such are made, with weapon, armor and crafts only made in big cities and fortresses (So ruler would maintain control)

- Quarry - set arbitrarily, big hole in the ground, mines stone
-- Masons nearby make blocks and furniture

- Big cities making weapon, armor and luxury good such as metalcrafts and jewellery

Obviously universal logging, carpentry, food production, cheaper crafts. This would give adventurers opportunity to guard or rob trade caravans and such. Also, disloyal worker could make contraband.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 01:46:51 am »

I think Human Sites are a little out of scope for the Tavern Arc.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:24 pm »

One idea for taverns that I don't think has been suggested yet is job postings and notifications.

In medieval times in taverns there were probably pieces of paper tacked to some of the walls letting patrons know the king was hiring laborers to dig ditches or whatever for food or monetary compensation.

This would probably require the economy to be implemented first but once it was it would be cool if the player could set there to be specific jobs available for anyone with a certain amount of money stored to compensate for it. As long as there was money to pay out for the job then travelers who needed a buck or needed to earn there stay could potentially fish, chop wood, gather berries/wood/herbs/etc in exchange for money or food.

Sort of like mercenary laborers that you dont have to worry about or manage but just do background stuff that helps the fortress

boogiemanspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 04:01:31 am »

I would imagine the nobles constantly getting grumpy over how "That filthy tavern owner has more money than me". Do we as the overseer construct taverns? (In which case we could prevent monopoly).

There could be taxes or "tributes" to the nobles.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 04:21:11 am »

I think I outline mercenary system as I see it, maybe somebody make something useful of it.

Mercenary bands are mixed-race groups formed in worldgen.
Mercenary bands have an accountant, who will come to your fortress offering you a 10 person squad.
You will be provided with detailed description of their equipment and relevant skill and price.
If you accept the offer, you will have to pay it in finished goods which the accountant would collect and leave the site
Soon mercenaries will arrive. You would have no way of managing their equipment or turn them into civilians, and they would demand a ten-bed personal barracks to reside.
You can give them orders as you would do with any other squad, otherwise they hang around barracks, training or slacking. Sometimes eating food.
Eventually an accountant would show up again, demanding payment for the next term and bonus for action (small fee for station/patrol, larger fee for combat). You are free to dismiss them but dismissing mercenaries would make it less attractive to serve you in the future.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 02:15:25 am »

And maybe retired adventurers would never die if they retired in a tavern and a fortress could hire them as soldiers for a price depending on how skilled and how famous said adventurer is. It would be a lot better than finding their dead bodies in a ditch outside of town.
Pages: 1 [2]