Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Project Elf Mode: Version 1.06.00 Released! 40.11 Compatible!  (Read 9306 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Elf Mode
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »

One oddity I've noticed is that non-wooden/plant objects can have the 'grown' descriptor. Though you would have to mod elves to use non-plant items to actually see this. It was a few versions ago though, so I'm not entirely sure if it still happens.

There was another issue I noticed in one of the first few versions of v40 where the trees would have gems in them instead of the normal assortment of items, but I think that was fixed around the same time that dwarves stopped using thrones in their forges.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »

How would one go about adding the grown tag to items? Is it even possible without dfhack?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 02:40:37 pm »

Don't know if and somewhat doubt that it's possible through regular modding. Would likely be possible with DFHack though. It's likely just a flag on the item itself.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 02:53:37 pm »

Don't know if and somewhat doubt that it's possible through regular modding. Would likely be possible with DFHack though. It's likely just a flag on the item itself.

It might be possible to put a reaction class on the target items and then have dfhack periodically change (weekly? every 10 announcements in game log? seasonally? etc.) whatever flag on the item makes it "Grown" or whatever for all items with that reaction class.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 03:17:51 pm »

It is.  item.flags2.grown = true.
A simple reaction-activated script should allow you to grow items in a tree-shaping workshop.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »

Grown wood really is grown, yes, and elves will accept tradebacks in dwarf mode.

Worth noting, that elven forest retreat sites have "shaping trees", which they use to make grown crafts.  Those are real trees too, taken from the outside and all.  They also live on the trees themselves.
Do those shaping trees show up if you just make vanilla Elves into a playable race?

As for the idea of requiring a nearby tree, there is a DFHack script that checks for nearby water.  Any chance that could be adapted?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 03:54:55 pm »

Ideally this would be through modding the raws exclusively.
EDIT: How do I specify that a building needs a specific item? I had planned on simply using the forge as a model, but I didn't realize that said forge is not actually in the raws. I've got this:
[BUILD_ITEM:1:AMMO:NOTAMMO:NONE:NONE]
with the heartwood item being ammo of class NOTAMMO. Currently it should be possible to make them from anything you can make bolts from, but this is a minor issue. (Who says you can't murder a dwarf then use his bones to make wood?)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:45:42 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 12:14:37 am »

If you are going with the Heartwood Shrine as your source of wood, are you going to somehow limit the number of shrines that can simultaneously exist? It seems like you could very easily make wood a trivial resource by building enough shrines.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 12:18:07 am »

Ideally this would be through modding the raws exclusively.
EDIT: How do I specify that a building needs a specific item? I had planned on simply using the forge as a model, but I didn't realize that said forge is not actually in the raws. I've got this:
[BUILD_ITEM:1:AMMO:NOTAMMO:NONE:NONE]
with the heartwood item being ammo of class NOTAMMO. Currently it should be possible to make them from anything you can make bolts from, but this is a minor issue. (Who says you can't murder a dwarf then use his bones to make wood?)

It doesn't go by ammo class, it goes by item ID. If you have an AMMO type item somewhere in the raws called [ITEM_AMMO:NOTAMMO], then that build item would work.

The difficulty of building the workshop depends on what's required to build it. But ordinary wood is a poor weapon/armour material and has low value, so I personally would not be too concerned about that. It would be necessary to be able to spam ordinary wood quickly, as the elves would have to build above-ground.

Though special woods shouldn't be as easy to get a hold of, of course.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:21:22 am by BlackFlyme »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 12:36:01 am »

If you are going with the Heartwood Shrine as your source of wood, are you going to somehow limit the number of shrines that can simultaneously exist? It seems like you could very easily make wood a trivial resource by building enough shrines.

I'm trying to find a way to make the generation process fairly slow. As of right now, what you mention is correct: shrine number is the only limit to how much wood you can have. AS mentioned above, though, regular wood is pretty crappy. The special wood types will probably get some sort of infusing workshop that takes ores and logs and fuses them into special wood types. Generally speaking, these wood types will still be inferior to the metal they're based on, though they will be lighter and still better than plain old wood. (E.g., ironwood will have generally inferior MAXEDGE and such to iron, but it should still end up being better than copper.)

As for the subject of metalworking, I think I'll disallow forging for elves. They will also need to trade for picks. What happens if I allow the miner profession (so fortress mode elves can mine given picks) but don't give the entity picks?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:38:57 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 01:05:35 am »

I've been trying to think of things that would contribute to the elves' theming. I've always pictured DF elves as a deep forest/jungle tribe of technologically primitive cannibals.

Are elves going to start allied to natural animals like in adventure mode? That would certainly give them an edge given that they can't quickly dig themselves a hidey hole.

It might also be interesting if there was a way to let elves dig through soil and clay but not stone. This sounds like something that wouldn't easily be possible to do, though I'm only guessing.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 01:13:17 am »

I always picture them as fairies.  (And not the twinkly winged kind-hearted ones.)

Speaking of which, a magic system sounds like it would go perfectly with an Elf Mode.  Even including combat interactions, if you were willing to do some painstaking balance tweaking and possibly some DFHack black magic.

(E.g., ironwood will have generally inferior MAXEDGE and such to iron, but it should still end up being better than copper.)

Shear values generally have more of an impact than MAX_EDGE.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:22:17 am by samanato »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 01:23:15 am »

I don't believe their [AT_PEACE_WITH_NATURE] has an effect in fortress mode; a modded elven civ (basically pointy-eared dwarves entity-wise), I seem to get the normal job cancellations from elves fleeing wildlife. Large predators will still target and kill anything that strays too close. However, the modded civ has the elven ability to tame anything in range, so the elves will have the advantage of embarking with incredibly dangerous animals. Elves usually have access to at least one of the giant cats. They'll often get elephants and rhinos, and this is why I'm including a grazer fix with the mod.

An update on the mod: I have the heartwood workshop and item created. Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to make the reaction spit out logs; there are no examples to look at in the raws and the wiki is being less than helpful.  (Damnit, Toady, just store the regular workshops there! It would make things so much easier.) After that, the reactions will be thrown together in short order and the mod will soon be playable. Of course, I'm adding a lot more, but the basic purpose is fulfilled after that.

EDIT: After a quick test, you can enable the mining and woodcutting labors despite elves not having them as permitted jobs in the entity. This is good. I'll have the mod up for testing shortly, and I will also be doing testing personally.

EDIT2: Another update: The heartwood shrine performs its task properly. Currently you can use arrows to build it; I need to find a way to require hearts specifically. I also need a way to set the speed at which a labor is done: I have literally hundreds of logs after about twenty seconds of wood generation.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:51:17 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 09:13:47 am »

I also need a way to set the speed at which a labor is done: I have literally hundreds of logs after about twenty seconds of wood generation.

I think tying the skill that makes wood to alchemy is a good plan, then set the skill learn rate to 0 or near 0 for that skill. You can then do caste stuff for someone who is a natural at treesinging but make it something that generally takes a while to do for most elves.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 12:29:49 pm »

I goofed on the labor/skill tokens (why are there three different ways to say "woodcutter") so it wasn't tied to a skill. That was probably why it happened so fast.
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5