Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One can dream...  (Read 756 times)

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
One can dream...
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:38:00 am »

I was talking with a friend about mixing game components, which spawned from a talk about putting the portal (from Portal) gun in other games. Afterwards I came up with a matching that I would so very much want if Dwarf fortress were to ever go 3d (which it probably won't).

Dwarf fortress adventure mode being given the option to fight 'freestyle' in a way that resembled Toribash. The limb loss would need to be greatly toned down, and other factors would need to be blaanced, but frankly, the ability to anything related to that type of combat in a roguelike would be really, really awesome.

How about you guys? If you could add a function to the game (doesn't have to be from another game) what would it be?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: One can dream...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

It is already 3D, just not the graphics.   :D

I think you have a point, that when toady comes to the combat arc he should indeed try some toribash, for inspiration.

Edit: magic IS planed, people can like it or not, teleportation and supposedly portals are mentioned, however a gun shooting them like you describe is a horrible idea, but if it will become as flexible and modable as I hope it might be possible to mod in.

[ December 30, 2007: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
Re: One can dream...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

Yea, I just realized how flawed my first post was. Yes, I meant graphically 3d, with a panning camera and all that fancy eyecandy. The portal stuff was just me explaining where I was leading up from. Didn't really have anything to do with ideas for Dwarf Fortress.

Yes, I've scanned over the planned arcs quite a few times. I'm really pleased by what's in store... but the ability to control your character in such a free-form, fluid way... would be amazing.
This thread was also about integrating your own fantastic yet probably out of reach additions as well! Feel free to share!