Poll

Place your bets. Who wins?

100 clowns
- 28 (57.1%)
30 FBs
- 21 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Whisperwhip: a megabeast steakhouse (Circus Edition)  (Read 137154 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: Whisperwhip: a megabeast steakhouse (Circus Edition)
« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2017, 01:13:00 am »

I just came in from a long career of lurking to log in just so I could say:

Chapter 2: The Skypig = Fucking comedy gold.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Catsquidcat Overlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 03, 2017, 08:10:09 am »

Fingers crossed this starts up again in the summer.   :-X
Oh, and the demons killed a second lake.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2017, 09:31:42 am »

"It be Summer! Taupe! I, Ryukan, do summon thee!"
The Forumite gestures. The thread moves.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 02, 2017, 09:27:13 pm »

I'm still on the forums here and there. I won't lie, progress isn't happening much. My will to build bigger and larger has been eroded to oblivion by micromanagement and low fps. What free days I, i find it hard to dedicate to slowly ordering the reconstruction of pitfalls and mining designation. Call it Dwarf fortress burnout.

I know this is not the satisfying ending anyone wants, nor deserve. It makes me mad as well. I know some random day in maybe a year I'll get this sting again, and dive into Whisperwhip once more, but until then I have a hard time playing. And I don't want to destroy the fortress on a whim, nor flood it with magma. I also know I don't want to force myself to play just to reach an ending, because that ending will be soulless and devoit of fun. Hell, I even considered calling it quit and isolating the dwarves from the world, but that's when I realised I had lost touch with my true goals, and the spirit of this fortress.

Until then, I'm sorry to admit that this fort is on pause. A likely long pause. For about two years, this has been most of my gaming time, and it has left my batteries empty.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:47 am »

This is a beautiful,insane creation and you should be proud of the majesty and fuckery you brought to us, there's no need to apologize. The itch to Dorf comes, the itch to Dorf goes, and that's how it is.

Thanks for all the stories you've told us, Taupe.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:52 am »

Well if you do ever decide to return, there are some minor broken images - only if you want to fix them that is. For easy access, here are the quotes and corrected links:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, have a pdf. Warning: its huge (>300MB, 1100 pages).

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2017, 09:54:42 pm »

Wow. You are doing Armok's work. He probably doesn't give a fuck, but i do. Great work.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 22, 2017, 12:29:38 pm »

You know Taupe, you are probably my favorite Bay12er and I consider you one of the greats. Your turn in Doomforest is legendary and this very fortress follows your progression theough the game from noob to you now. Your writing is an inspiration and I hope you keep it up here at Bay12.

Just had to put that out there

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2017, 09:39:55 pm »

Thanks bro, that's appreciated!

Meanwhile, I know this isn't much, nor entirely related to Dwarf fortress, but I've been writing down my progress through the early Pokemon games as Nuzlocke challenges. It follows the same principles I used here, aka: play the worst I can and step it up once I'm deeply fucked. I've done Blue and Silver so far, so if you've enjoyed the writing in this thread, this may be relevant to some of you. The silver playthrough especially is more epic than anything like this has any right to be.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:48:24 pm by Taupe »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 23, 2017, 04:07:56 am »

I hear you Taupe. I've started playing the latest Dwarf Fortress again after a pause of... I don't even know how long. It comes and goes. I tell my friends who don't understand that DF is like bathtub moonshine. It's kind of rough but when you want it nothing else will do. Follow your bliss man.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 30, 2018, 12:53:12 pm »

I have no idea what is going on with this fortress. i have no idea what each lever does. This will be glorious.

Why is my only soldier fighting demons.

Why is the fortress exposed to several forgotten beasts.

Why is the entire landscape scorched.

Why is the main door opened and protected by a single semi-wild dragon.

Why is there a number of dead things in the five digits.

Why did this cat explode.

Why did all the cats explode.

Why do we have 900 querns?!?

Why is hell directly connected to the fortress.

Why is there a Collossus in the courtyard.

So, so many questions.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:10:41 pm by Taupe »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 30, 2018, 03:22:39 pm »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 07, 2018, 08:47:10 pm »

So little notes, so many levers...

Jokes aside, I'm slowly rediscovering how this insane fortress works. There are still two levers by the forges that I have no idea what they do. According to the map archives, they were built between 113 and 117, but a quick overview of the corresponding chapters didnt give me any hint of their purpose. I've been loading and killing the save a few times just to test things out. Apparently ''I play this fortress a lot so no need to write down stuff, I'll remember'' is a shitty archiving method, who knew.

So far I've painstakingly identified what controls the drawbridges, what seals which caverns, what makes the obsidian generator work, what seals the different parts of the fortress (nothing, good job me), the arena levers, the failed-attempt-to-gladiatorize-hell levers, and so many more (spoilers for the next chapter!)

I've almost enough to write a new chapter, but I just need time. (those blocks of text take forever to make)  I'll probably aim for about a chapter per month, give or take. However, I may have to change the narration a bit and do things from my own, exterior point of view as I rediscover this disaster of a fort. Mainly, because It's been so long and I've written so *much* about Whisperwhip that its basically impossible to simply jump back in and continue where i was, narration-wise, because so much has left my brain over time. It's not ideal, but I really don't remember which dead dwarf killed which of the 100 forgotten beasts, oron which day Clothsgiving falls (trick answer, it changes every year). If you've ever played a long RPG and quit midway, and came back years later only to reset your game because you don't even know which quests you did, or where you are supposed to go, or which stats you wanted to build, thats really close to where I am right now. So the format will have to be different the time being.

On the plus side, when I lost interest in the fortress, I took care to add detailed captions to each screenshot as to not let them go to waste. So there's that. Expect a chapter by... next wednesday?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:51:25 pm by Taupe »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 07, 2018, 08:51:11 pm »

AWESOME!  :D
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2018, 09:33:55 pm »

AWESOME!  :D
I burn with anticipation!

On a side note, Sarrak, didn't you play Roll to Magic a while back?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22