Poll

Place your bets. Who wins?

100 clowns
- 28 (57.1%)
30 FBs
- 21 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: Whisperwhip: a megabeast steakhouse (Circus Edition)  (Read 137265 times)

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whisperwhip: a megabeast steakhouse (Circus Edition)
« Reply #255 on: December 28, 2015, 07:57:55 pm »

The game hates you.
~~~
... if you don't have an experienced military crossbowdwarf, I'm fine with you dwarfing me as a new recruit who uses a crossbow...

I've had that thought myself. I seem to attract invasions when I play DF. People say sieges are basically not existent in 40.24 but I get multiple ones every year in most forts I play. I think FBs and Megabeasts smell when it's Taupe at the keys and they traverse leagues upon leagues to find him and face him.

Assuming you survive the dragon, any chance of funneling the demons into the Doomcave to have their fun with the FBs?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 28, 2015, 08:32:58 pm »

Assuming you survive the dragon, any chance of funneling the demons into the Doomcave to have their fun with the FBs?
I've played a bit past this point, so I have enough material for another chapter soon-ish.  This should cover my initial plans regarding hell, the retaking thereof using various crazy shenanigans, and the first step of what I call ''Project Flashfire''. Having no soldiers whatsoever doesn't mean we'll be avoiding fights, it just means the fights will get weird.

Many people have suggested that I connect the DOOMCAVE to hell, which won't occur for now since I've already taken different steps to solve the issues at hand. My main concern with the suggested idea is that I'm aiming for some siege engine galore, and the current demon corridor is quite perfect for that. Unleashing the demons against the FB would deny this opportunity. Most forgotten beasts are sealed by trees in various quadrants of the caverns anyway, so I doubt there'll be a fight as spectacular as people hope for.

Coming up next in Whisperwhip: !!SCIENCE!!

Ps: De has already been dwarfed as an animal trainer. There's also a crossbow training facility planned in the future, and I'll name the leader of this operation Plato as requested.

EDIT: I was operating under the assumption that the forgotten beasts are irrevocably stuck. Truth is, further examination of the DOOMCAVE reveals that they are in fact only stuck there because they can't fly. Demons can fly, so about 22 forgotten beasts would be reachable to them if I connected the two regions. That's interesting...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:57:07 pm by Taupe »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 31, 2015, 08:28:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dear readers, allow me to celebrate New Year's Eve by skipping ahead in time a bit to present this specific screenshot.

You know what it does.

Place your bets.

Catsquidcat Overlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2016, 08:49:42 am »

Minion You Best Be Eating Those Clowns, They Are Even Bringing You The Salt First And Are Killing Themselves With Other Food. DO NOT FAIL ME.
Oh, and the demons killed a second lake.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2016, 03:04:54 pm »

CHAPTER 90: The Doomforests agenda
Winter of 149
Killcount: 93

''I'm taking charge'' announces the mayor.
''You can't --'' starts Duke Tun.
''I'm taking charge.''

It was time to solve the fort's problem, the mayor knew. With !SCIENCE!

''We are taking down the demons'', she adds.
''But... we don't have any soldiers!
-Exactly, they won't get in the way.''

She grabs a few mechanisms, and head outside:
''Open the gates!
-But there's a... dragon...
-Yes, imma need it.''

It was a fine beast. The dwarven therapist of the fort claimed it was almost three centuries old, which was about twice the age of basically the world itself. As far as dwarves wee concerned. I'm pretty sure I can build some cages before it gets here. I'm pretty good at cages.

The last time she built cages in a hurry, it was to fetch some rutherers. One of them attacked her, she remmembers. And for what? the rutherers produced no offsprings in decades, and their training was shaky at best. the mopst important part, however, was that they attacked her in the past.

''Hey, you, animal trainer!
-My name's De'
', replies the dwarf trying to battle-train a lion nearby.
''Ok, well. Go fetch the rutherers. Bring them to the new tunnel.
-What new tunnel?
-Oh, also dig a new tunnel. to hell.
-...''

''Tun, I'm busy building the cages so a dragon doesn't eat us.
-Yes, but what about my crystal glass window? For my underground office, yaknow.
-Oh, I'm definitely working on it right now!
-Really.
-No, obviously not. Grab a pick and dig toward hell.
-I'M the duke, you can't--
-Diiiiiiiggggggggggg''

''Make it spirally and hum, I guess engrave it and such'' she explains casually to the miners she just ordered toward hell. ''We don't want the demons to think we're uncivilised.''

The traps are finished by a split second.

''Well, time to build some levers!'' the mayor announces. ''You, De, grab my dragon and bring it to the new tunnel''

De was a simple animal trainer. He arrived in Whisperwhip only ten years ago, when he heard the new capital had many war animals to train. He was still adjusting to the insanity of the metropolis, but as a dwarf for strives for excellence, like his late uncle Firsal, he wanted to prove himself. So he obeyed the mayor's orders, no matter how insane they sounded.

The ''New tunnel'' as it was simply called, was well underway. The mayor left notes for the mechanics and animal trainers, indicating locations for traps, cages, and bridges. ''--rutherers should go right after the cyclop'', the animal trainer overheard. He dropped the dragon cage where he was told, only to be interrupted by manager Stukos. ''Hold on a sec, lad, I need to cover the floor with an image of three backpacks first, yaknow!''

Next, he was told to stash a horde of war animals in a dead end. In the background, he could hear the sounds of metal and the clicks of stone mechanisms. the bridges and lever-linking was progressing smoothly. ''--tis okay, I read about something like this from a place called Doomforests'' He heard the mayor explain.

''Ok, that's three bridges operational, we'll be ready for phase one as soon as I finish linking the rutherers''

There wasn't much to do for the animal trainers at that point. He'd seen a cyclop, some rutherers, various war animals, and a dragon being hauled and lever-linked to the new tunnel. Deep inside, he knew what was going on.

Under the leadership of the mayor, the casual insanity and imminent feeling of doom had somehow amplified to a pure, refined atmoshpere of batshit. Some people were disregarding orders to create useless artefacts out of priceless hell-made metal...

While the Duke himself was going crazy and throwing tantrum.

...In his sleep.

''Damn queen, with her fancy tomb!'' he mumbled in his sleep, kicking the sheets left and right.