Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Syndrome on Self  (Read 1885 times)

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Syndrome on Self
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:46:23 pm »

How can I have a creature susceptible to a syndrome it carries itself?

I tried making the blood carry the syndrome, but it does not infect the carrier. It will however infect the same caste as the carrier if they fight and get their blood on each other.

I tried having the skin or fat carry the syndrome but that does not work either.

Any idea how I can have a creature permanently inflicted with a syndrome?

Thanks to anyone with an idea for helping me, I have been stuck on this for too long now :/

Edit: Still working with 34.11

Edit 2: So, I finally found a way to make this work... except cave_adapt does not work as I suspected. I think...

Edit 3: I have the syndrome affecting those I want(in a bit of a roundabout way) but now I can not cause the syndrome to act as I wish. I late an ability to activate effects when the creature is outside.

Edit 4: Made a plug-in for this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:41:54 pm by -Nihil- »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Syndrome on Self
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:51 pm »

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:07:22 pm »

Interactions.

I have looked through those and all the other tokens many times. I am still new to this but I have not found easy ways to do these things.

I found a way to inflict a syndrome a creature continuously, not quite so easy though.

I thought the cave_adapt trigger would trigger syndrome effects whenever in sunlight, but apparently they are doing the opposite for me.

Edit: okay, I found a way to apply the syndrome maybe more easily. Still leaves the issue I am stuck on though :c

Edit 2: Nope, can not find a way to do it easier than how I did before :/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:28:53 pm by -Nihil- »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:01:36 am »

The cave adapt trigger runs when a dwarf is inside/underground, and it increments a counter of the same name, hence the effect you are noting.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:10:22 am »

The cave adapt trigger runs when a dwarf is inside/underground, and it increments a counter of the same name, hence the effect you are noting.

That would make sense, do you know a way to trigger syndrome effects when outside then?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:43:00 am »

MOUNTAIN, maybe? Just looking at the syndrome page on the wiki.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:12:59 am »

MOUNTAIN, maybe? Just looking at the syndrome page on the wiki.

Not sure how that will help. Seems it just determines if they like being outside or not.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 01:16:36 am »

Whether or not they like being outside is dependent on their cave adaptation.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 01:20:15 am »

Whether or not they like being outside is dependent on their cave adaptation.

The wiki says the mountain counter is "How much the creature minds being outdoors". It does not help me though because I want to know when a dwarf actually IS outside.

The cave adaptation almost works except it will only trigger when the values reach certain points I believe. I do not want the effects after a month of being outside, I want the effects as soon as they hit sunlight.

Cave adaptation could work if I could trigger on a change of value, but I can not.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:22:16 am by -Nihil- »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 01:49:45 am »

If the value of cave adapt trigger is 0, it will activate the moment they are underground.  Making a syndrome that is only active above ground is trickier. 

What I like to do is apply two syndromes, one which is always active and the other which cancels it and activates underground.  For example, if I want a creature to double their strength above ground, I will give them a syndrome that doubles their strength, then another syndrome that activates underground and cuts their strength in half, effectively bringing them back to normal.  Or if I want the sun to always make them dizzy, I will make the syndrome give permanent dizziness, and give them the NO_DIZZINESS tag while underground, although this means that they will never get dizzy from other effects.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 01:53:31 am »

If the value of cave adapt trigger is 0, it will activate the moment they are underground.  Making a syndrome that is only active above ground is trickier. 

What I like to do is apply two syndromes, one which is always active and the other which cancels it and activates underground.  For example, if I want a creature to double their strength above ground, I will give them a syndrome that doubles their strength, then another syndrome that activates underground and cuts their strength in half, effectively bringing them back to normal.  Or if I want the sun to always make them dizzy, I will make the syndrome give permanent dizziness, and give them the NO_DIZZINESS tag while underground, although this means that they will never get dizzy from other effects.

I considered something along those lines. I was hoping if I had the actual effects first then I applied the "normal case" on the condition of cave adapt it would work like that but it did not :/

Then I realized that they will never actually hit cave adapt 0 except at embark or if I leave them above ground for significant time. Is that correct?