Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma crab-splosion  (Read 2487 times)

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma crab-splosion
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:03:40 am »

I'm just under two years into my first real fort of the new version, and the crabs down in the magma sea are breeding like rabbits:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This obviously has something to do with the recent changes to breeding, so I'm not sure if it can be considered a bug or not, but bloody hell is it annoying. I think because they lack a child state they are born and then instantly become pregnant. The cherry on top is that they seem to have twins most of the time, so it's just going to get worse and worse, with no way to cull them since they're in the bottom of the magma sea of course.

The question is: what do I have to add to their raws to sterilise them?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma crab-splosion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:07 am »

as far as im aware its already too late for that.
Editing raws dosent work on in game creatures.

My suggestion would be to try and dig to the magma sea, and have marks dwarfs patrol pits to shoot into. Or cage them and reap the delicious magma crap bounty.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:10:14 am »

Had this happen to a fort last night, 87 magma crabs.  I used dfhack's exterminate feature to rid myself of them, and gained 100FPS back. :)

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:01:28 am »

Had this happen to a fort last night, 87 magma crabs.  I used dfhack's exterminate feature to rid myself of them, and gained 100FPS back. :)

I completely forgot about dfhack being able to do that. You probably just resurrected a fort I stopped playing due to fps death.  I had about 90 magma crabs. I killed about half of them with a cave in, but the rest just kept having triplets. My fps was in the low teens because of it. Thank you for the reminder.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »

Has this been reported yet or does it match an existing tracked bug?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »

They're like the dwarfy version of tribbles, only with more fire and less adorable.  Too bad you can't beam them over to the elves.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:20:29 pm »

They're like the dwarfy version of tribbles, only with more fire and less adorable.  Too bad you can't beam them over to the elves.

Maybe not.  But you sure as Armok can send the elves to meet the crabs.

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:35 am »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30:34 am »

Demonstration save created, uploaded, and linked in the bug tracker.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:06:02 am »

The primary problem here isn't crab reproduction, it's a persistent failure to migrate off the map. Every flying/climbing/swimming creature seems to be unable to path to the map edge when it's time to leave, which leads to exponential growth in pretty much any stuck creature thats capable of reproduction. Magma crabs are just particularly problematic since they're hard to get to, and the lack of a [CHILD] tag renders one of their population caps meaningless.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7170