Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.09 Released  (Read 31846 times)

antydoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.09 Released
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 01:08:32 am »

anyone know whats up with the wonky fps counter? been seeing it jump up into the 500s and other times it suddenly drops yet the game is still going though slowly. noticed this since i started playing 40.04.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 01:27:02 am »

That normally occurs on the main screen or when the game is paused. No updates, so no slowdown I guess.

antydoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 07:55:07 am »

yeah but i really didnt start to notice it until world gen and for some reason on the embark calender it enjoys messing with me by showing 0fps

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:08 am »

Regarding stuck flying creature, it was most of the underground creatures as well, once they got up on walls, and also some that got up in trees and so on.  I followed many different creatures off the map, so I think it is working now for all of the problem creatures.

I could probably use a few more saves to mess around with in the morale report (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7161).  A few pieces of it were fixed (with ambushes, hopefully), a few pieces are intended though they may be out of whack or badly articulated (strangers freaking out when you move at them with a drawn weapon, corpse fright, some peaceful bandits), and there are lots of plainly broken pieces -- I'll be able to work much faster to address the specific concerns people have with something concrete, since there are so many moving parts now and it's difficult to recreate the issues that are most annoying sometimes.

Remember the bug you found with treed night creatures freaking out because they saw nasties deep underground? Well, I've got something similar with vampires in mead halls. Well, I don't actually know what they are freaking out about, but given that they can see via heat vision several z levels below ground....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:47:32 am by smjjames »

Daonitre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:34 am »

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Initialized strict pop cap to 220 if not present in d_init

So... if i like having 300 dwarves in my fort I'm hard capped to 220 anyway? Maybe I missed something...
Me:"Say, you don't know where the Titan is, do?"
"In the early spring of 125, he died after colliding with an obstacle."

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:57 am »

Daonitre,

Other bug fixes/tweaks

So... if i like having 300 dwarves in my fort I'm hard capped to 220 anyway? Maybe I missed something...

Nope, it's only a hard cap if you accidentally remove the entry from the init file.  Just like with everything else there, you can change the value to match your preference.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Daonitre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 11:30:24 am »

Daonitre,

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Nope, it's only a hard cap if you accidentally remove the entry from the init file.  Just like with everything else there, you can change the value to match your preference.

-Dame de la Licorne
Glanced into the file to check and you're right... I see it now:
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]
it's right under the regular pop cap if anyone is wondering.
I actually came back to edit my post, but you got got it before me. ;) Thanks
Me:"Say, you don't know where the Titan is, do?"
"In the early spring of 125, he died after colliding with an obstacle."

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:15 am »

That's kind of assuming a lot, isn't it?  You don't know whether or not anyone saw your post earlier nor if it would have made finding the bug any faster if they did.

Perhaps, but it doesn't matter since it was primarily meant to be an example. (A super sickeningly sweet snarky example and I fully admit to that. lol) The principle of the matter is making other members feel welcome and helpful regardless, so that they will continue to try to help and not feel intimidated or wary about posting. If you're going to point things out, it's generally a good idea to make sure the other person doesn't feel stupid or invalidated, otherwise they'll stop trying to help. That is mainly what I was getting at.

Usually, people around here are fairly understanding and nice to others overall, unlike other very toxic game forums, and that's why I like it here. I'd like to keep it that way.   :)

====

On a completely unrelated note, how is this release faring so far? What are some of the major issues that are severely game breaking for this one? And can they be worked around or modded easily?

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 07:00:31 am »

MG crossbows, skyramps from mushrooms, teleporting mood material, necromancer empires and weird wound wackiness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:03 am »

Just tried a reclaim on a worldgen fort, and was sieged by goblins at the start of the first summer, while I still only had my starting seven. Is that intended behavior?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:24 pm »

Just tried a reclaim on a worldgen fort, and was sieged by goblins at the start of the first summer, while I still only had my starting seven. Is that intended behavior?

Afaik since .40 sieges are no longer hardcoded. In other words, you'll get sieges when nearby goblin civilization decides to attack you, not when you're unlucky with the rng while certain criteria, such as total wealth or population, are met.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2014, 12:45:51 pm »

Afaik since .40 sieges are no longer hardcoded. In other words, you'll get sieges when nearby goblin civilization decides to attack you, not when you're unlucky with the rng while certain criteria, such as total wealth or population, are met.

The common explanation for the sieges of ~10 goblins in the first year is "bandits".  I don't know whether that's the real explanation or not, but it's what everyone is calling them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2014, 01:57:23 pm »

The common explanation for the sieges of ~10 goblins in the first year is "bandits".  I don't know whether that's the real explanation or not, but it's what everyone is calling them.

Bandits should be more in line with the old ambushes. Now every time goblins show up the SIEGE tag appears.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:04:18 pm by thvaz »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2014, 02:00:25 pm »

Bandits should be more in line with the old ambushes. Now every time goblins show up the SIEGE tag appears.

Not sure if you realize you're putting your reply inside the quote rather than outside, just saying.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2014, 01:13:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like to do it like this  8)

This is also fun sometimes :

If only the software supported nested spoilers, all would be well in the world.

Thanks for the update Toady.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]