Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Abortion father opt-out rule  (Read 7135 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Abortion father opt-out rule
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »

there is no ethical difference between aborting within 27 weeks and using a condom.

This is a religious question. Whether or not you're religious, it's still a religious question. Let me ask: upon what basis do you assert that there is no ethical difference? Others I've spoken to on this topic, if you really get to the heart of their argument...it's that "it doesn't look human yet, therefore it isn't."

That seems rather arbitrary to me.

Uh. How about fetal development? Within the timeframe you realize that you'd be pregnant, it's no more than a bundle of potential to-be cells. There are no pain receptors, hell there's really no neural structures at that point anyway. It cannot feel, and it isn't more alive than cancer would be.

But 27 weeks is too far along for me to be comfortable with saying anything.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2014, 02:51:23 pm »

How about fetal development? Within the timeframe you realize that you'd be pregnant, it's no more than a bundle of potential to-be cells. There are no pain receptors, hell there's really no neural structures at that point anyway. It cannot feel, and it isn't more alive than cancer would be.

Ok. But where do you draw the line? Upon what basis do you even decide where to draw the line? It's fuzzy ground, and there are a lot of possible answers that don't agree with each other, and not a whole lot of reasons anyone can agree on to choose one answer over another.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2014, 02:54:58 pm »

Don't forget that you need to be practical as well. Not all women can tell if they are pregnant within the first month, and some get pretty far along before noticing.

As well as how long it takes to get an abortion (but with modern abortion clinics you literally can get an abortion within the hour of entering the building)

Plus you need some time for them to decide to have one as well... as well as fit it into their schedules... PLUS you need to defend lazy stupid people who will leave it to the last second.

It still doesn't lead up to 27 weeks... But I am just glad partial birth abortions are still illegal.

Edit: Though... Given that through... a little research I have found out that we actually have the ability to... have 27 week old babies... live (and have even managed much lower)... I am getting creeped out. Luckly I HIGHLY doubt anything but the RAREST abortion is anywhere close to 27 weeks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:00:31 pm by Neonivek »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2014, 03:02:03 pm »

Don't forget that you need to be practical as well. Not all women can tell if they are pregnant within the first month, and some get pretty far along before noticing

Some women don't realize they're pregnant until they give birth.

If your concern is practicality and mother's knowledge, would you allow month 9 abortions for women who don't notice until month nine?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »

I am not someone who very much approves of abortions personally...

I am only stating that one of the reasons for this incredibly lenient time limit, especially now that you don't have to go anywhere near a hospital for one, is for those reasons. If you have to have abortions it needs to be practical.

Otherwise you are just not legalizing abortions... I think most women notice by 20 weeks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:09:28 pm by Neonivek »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2014, 03:19:56 pm »

Dunno why I had 27 weeks in mind. The limit in Belgium is actually 12 weeks, before brain developement get "serious".
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2014, 03:26:26 pm »

24 weeks in the US apperantly if what I got from research that might not be accurate.

Canada though is kind of Semi-iffy. TECHNICALLY the limit is 24 weeks, but it is often 20 in some areas.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »

Don't forget that you need to be practical as well. Not all women can tell if they are pregnant within the first month, and some get pretty far along before noticing

Some women don't realize they're pregnant until they give birth.

If your concern is practicality and mother's knowledge, would you allow month 9 abortions for women who don't notice until month nine?

By that point they're giving birth anyway, just to a dead developed fetus.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2014, 05:02:08 pm »

By that point they're giving birth anyway, just to a dead developed fetus

I don't care by what sort of mincing of words you are using... by the 9th month that isn't a fetus... Your aborting a fully developed baby.

If you think that it still fine... ok... but lets not stretch things this far... since all "we" are, are "developed Fetuses".

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2014, 05:14:39 pm »

What I was saying is that they're giving birth to a thing, regardless of what comes out because it's coming out whether anyone likes it or not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2014, 05:17:33 pm »

Yep either a living thing or a corpse.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »

Anyway, you do have to couple it with sex ed, else some girls won't even know that missing their periods may mean that they are pregnant. In Belgium, you can get appointment with familly planning center from your school, and get a free anonymous abortion without anyone knowing (including your parents) if that's what you want.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:24:10 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2014, 05:32:47 pm »

Anyway, you do have to couple it with sex ed, else some girls won't even know that missing their periods may mean that they are pregnant. In Belgium, you can get appointment with familly planning center from your school, and get a free anonymous abortion without anyone knowing (including your parents) if that's what you want.

UUHH Sex Ed just needs to be more comprehensive than "Don't have sex or you'll get pregnant and die" and compulsory to begin with. That would solve quite a few issues.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2014, 05:41:41 pm »

UUHH Sex Ed just needs to be more comprehensive than "Don't have sex or you'll get pregnant and die" and compulsory to begin with. That would solve quite a few issues.

Interesting... that was what it was here (As in... more then that... AND compulsory)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2014, 05:44:25 pm »

Tell that to the bible belt of the US. There they only teach you about STD's and abstinence. I got that even in North Idaho, a slightly more progressive area than North Utah, the rest of my state. More and better sex ed would fix quite a few problems for quite a few people who need it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7