Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You Are A Wizard, I Suppose.  (Read 6256 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Wizard, I Suppose.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 10:23:39 pm »

His hair and fur shall be hot pink, that is all.
Yes.
I don't think we should play a werewolf, but this is a good argument in its favor.

Otherwise, what about a half-breed? We could be of merfolk or hag lineage, for instance.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 10:36:00 pm »

Werewolf would give us an excuse to be an absurdly hyper puppy.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 08:21:45 am »

that and the fact that if we were a werewolf, we could not be infected by another werewolf and then be stuck with a completely unfamiliar curse and no (in-game) knowledge about how to deal with it, without revealing the secret to potentially dangerous people.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 08:31:18 am »

Yesh~

And we can be totes adorbs~

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:56 am »

I wonder if werewolves are consumed by their instincts enough that they could be domesticated, and therefore not bloodthirsty enough to be "adorbz'" as kevak so eloquently put it. food for thought.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 08:57:55 am »

Does anyone mind that I have a weird obsession with figuring out magic in the HP Universe? Because that is the floppiest magic system I've ever seen.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 09:00:58 am »

Word based magic, with a number of spells being used to allow some of the seemingly wordless ones i would say. along with a good dose of alchemy from putting unicorns and newts in a blender.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:46:20 am by Shadestyle »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 11:34:47 am »

Well yes, the potion system is solid. However it lacks a trait that I at least consider necessary for an effective magic system: besides potions which presumably draw energy from the latent magic in the ingredients there does not appear to be much skill or any energy required to cast spells.

EDIT: An interesting explanation for this my sister shared with me a while ago was a simple lack of curiosity. We don't know because they don't know. Her evidence for this was the potion riddle, it was not too difficult for anyone with good lateral thinking which wizards mostly lack do to the presence of magic making them able to literally say "a wizard did it" or "magic" and satisfy the common wizard. This likely was untrue for early wizards but after that they were just better at surviving than muggles and as such required much less curiosity from very early stages of cultural development.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:44:24 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 11:53:21 am »

Well yes, the potion system is solid. However it lacks a trait that I at least consider necessary for an effective magic system: besides potions which presumably draw energy from the latent magic in the ingredients there does not appear to be much skill or any energy required to cast spells.

EDIT: An interesting explanation for this my sister shared with me a while ago was a simple lack of curiosity. We don't know because they don't know. Her evidence for this was the potion riddle, it was not too difficult for anyone with good lateral thinking which wizards mostly lack do to the presence of magic making them able to literally say "a wizard did it" or "magic" and satisfy the common wizard. This likely was untrue for early wizards but after that they were just better at surviving than muggles and as such required much less curiosity from very early stages of cultural development.

True, i imagine all magic comes from some kind of organic compound, considering the fact that only wizards and mudbloods can perform it, and the fact that there is a distinct difference between magical and nonmagical creatures. and the fact that muggles haven't discovered magic even though science is at a reasonable level, simple because they have no samples of magical material.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 01:05:16 pm »

I personally prescribe to the theory of Other Place: There is a different dimension from which wizards and magical creature pull energy through some process (I would think a unique gland in the brain) which allows the violation of The Second Law of Thermodynamics. Of course I won't know until we dissect some Grindylows as well as other minor demons and magical creatures.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 01:22:24 pm »

Well, that would fit into my theory of it being based on some kind of organic compound, since some creatures may not have glands per say, but a carbon based material that acts as a "Nexus" of sorts might be well within the realms of possibility.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 01:28:02 pm »

Everything with a brain has glands. Sure there's that one species of magic worm but I think the just do the same thing as plants, gaining energy from unicorn shit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:13:17 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 01:37:19 pm »

Everything with a brain has glands. Sure there's that one species of magic worm but I think the just do the same thing as plants, gaining energy from unicorn shit.
Unicorn shit has neither glands nor a brain. I am fairly certain no shit has that.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 02:14:55 pm »

I know but glands produce chemicals. This one converts magic into magic juice which is necessary for their weird biology to function. Thus some seeps into their feces.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:08 pm »

a chemical, eh? you mean like an... ORGANIC COMPOUND?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4