Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 111437 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:37:16 pm by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, the spiritual sucessor for SimCity 4.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:42:26 am »

Interesting. I am glad to see it's coming from Paradox. That does give me some hope that it might not be a complete mess like Simcity 5 was...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:01:28 pm by dennislp3 »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:53 am »

Hmm, ok, sounds worth watching.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:52:21 am »

My slightly-pickled sense of humour is rather amused that they are touting "Play offline" as a selling point.  Very subtle.

Cautious watch.  I never really got into city simulation games after SC4.  It's a bit too early for fine details, but those will be what make or break it as far as I'm concerned.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:53:55 am »

There is a trailer here.

And a not-so-subtle jab at the EA Simcity reboot with "Play Offline" about 50 seconds into it.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:05:46 pm »

There is a trailer here.

And a not-so-subtle jab at the EA Simcity reboot with "Play Offline" about 50 seconds into it.

That's not all. In the main features, they list (among others) the following bits:

Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
Polished visual style and core gameplay
Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.

That being said, the features they are showing off make me really excited, especially the city personalization stuff.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:08:12 pm »

After the huge dissapointment Sim City 5 was I will stay sceptic until they prove to be at a stage were they can not fail anymore. And as the guys from Cities in Motiona are making this we finally should get a City Builder with really good traffic simulation.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »

Being developed by the guys who did the Cities in Motion series, so might be okay, Cities in Motion 1 was pretty good, I could never get on with CIM2 though. Expect a lot of DLC packs though, admittedly with Colossal Order they tend to only be like Vehicle packs, at least for CIM. 
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:31:51 pm »

I am guessing they simply saw the terrible launch of SC 5 and immedietly saw that they could make tons of money by simply fixing the BS lies and mistakes of EA.

"Technology can't handle large maps"
"The servers do calculations that no single computer could handle"

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:59:47 pm »

They literally can not make a game that is worse than SimCity, so they're already winning.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:04:05 pm »

Whilst I'm not a huge simcity fan, I have to say the 'play offline' thing made me laugh. It's what THOSE companies don't seem to get, that yeah, sure people will still buy your games for a while whilst you can capitalise on some hype and history, but eventually games are going to come out that don't have your ridiculous mechanics, DRM and plain rubbishness.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:05:11 pm »

After the huge dissapointment Sim City 5 was I will stay sceptic until they prove to be at a stage were they can not fail anymore. And as the guys from Cities in Motiona are making this we finally should get a City Builder with really good traffic simulation.
Remember, this is published by Paradox, not EA. They're basically polar opposites. Seeing how bad the traffic simulation was in SimCity, they're already off to a good start. Personally, I still like Sim City 4, but I think we're well overdue for a good city game with modern technology and I was never a fan of building my cities around the arbitrary demand cap system...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »

My slightly-pickled sense of humour is rather amused that they are touting "Play offline" as a selling point.  Very subtle.

Cautious watch.  I never really got into city simulation games after SC4.  It's a bit too early for fine details, but those will be what make or break it as far as I'm concerned.
That eactly what i tought too haha. As for paradox i cant remember a bad game they published.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 01:13:46 pm »

If it ends up being sc4 with traffic mods I would be satisfied.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 01:14:53 pm »

They literally can not make a game that is worse than SimCity, so they're already winning.

This
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50