Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 110547 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, the spiritual sucessor for SimCity 4.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 01:37:02 pm »

Cities in motion 2 basically had all the tech they needed to make a Sim city game already.  The city was alive, it could grow, people would commute, there were different wealth ranges... I am really excited for this, I feel like it's actually going to succeed.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 01:47:19 pm »

As for paradox i cant remember a bad game they published.
They have had some games that were bugged as fuck and wagering on some that were novel but fell short. But they tend to make up for it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48:35 pm »

I am rather excited about this.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 01:52:52 pm »

Sword of the Stars 2 and Gettysburg: Armored Warfare. 

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:20 pm »

Also, that bridge they show in the trailer reminds me of calcutta.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 02:09:18 pm »

Yes, when Paradox rushes the devs, which is fairly often, things come out poorly. If we start hearing about early release, run away. Far away. Don't look back.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:15 pm »

Yes, when Paradox rushes the devs, which is fairly often, things come out poorly. If we start hearing about early release, run away. Far away. Don't look back.

I like Sword of the Stars 2. It got a lot of patches after I got it in a Paradox bundle for really cheap. Maybe it was due to the fact it came in a bundle for cheap is why I like it though. It's a good game I think now with the patches. My main gripes with it are that after a hundred turns or so turns take a really long time to advance and that the ai can be kind of bad at times in various ways from combat to diplomacy. It used to have a UI that was really slow but that's been lessened a lot with the patches.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 02:33:49 pm »

Any word on whether or not there will be disasters to spice up gameplay?

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 04:28:46 pm »

Cities in motion 2 basically had all the tech they needed to make a Sim city game already.  The city was alive, it could grow, people would commute, there were different wealth ranges...

I agree it had a lot of the core concepts but I can't really say the cities felt alive.  I really hope they do a lot more than just slap in some new mechanics to turn what they did in CiM2 into a pure city builder.  I'm really worried we'll end up with something that feels lifeless.

I can't help but think a year from now everyone will look back and say "it was a good attempt it just was missing that special something to make it work."

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 05:16:38 pm »

Cities in motion 2 basically had all the tech they needed to make a Sim city game already.  The city was alive, it could grow, people would commute, there were different wealth ranges...

I agree it had a lot of the core concepts but I can't really say the cities felt alive.  I really hope they do a lot more than just slap in some new mechanics to turn what they did in CiM2 into a pure city builder.  I'm really worried we'll end up with something that feels lifeless.

I can't help but think a year from now everyone will look back and say "it was a good attempt it just was missing that special something to make it work."

I hope they don't do that.  What I meant was all the pieces are there, they just need to be fleshed out, so I am not as worried about the technical side of things.  Like you said, they have to get the feel right, and Paradox has pulled that off well in the past.

All aboard the hype train, woo woo
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 11:03:20 pm »

Well, it certainly looks nice, and I love the greater road customization, but I'm still going to prevent myself from getting too hype.

*reads the comments, sees the developer responding*

...They're actually modeling individuals? Individuals who own cars and commute? That's... ambitious... *tries not to get hype harder*
Nothing important here, move along.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 12:20:53 am »

Well, it certainly looks nice, and I love the greater road customization, but I'm still going to prevent myself from getting too hype.

...They're actually modeling individuals? Individuals who own cars and commute? That's... ambitious... *tries not to get hype harder*

CiM2 already had this factored into account (other than actually flagging whether an individual owns a car. Instead, a more wealthy CiM will rather drive than take a long bus ride) and I would be very surprised if this feature is cut.

What they really need to fix is pathfinding. A system like Train Fever w/o the 20 Min rule, and letting citizen who no longer exists not to die until they exit the vehicle would be to start.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 03:50:12 am »

CiM2

Please don't abbreviate anything to CiM...ever...

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 05:17:37 am »

CiM2

Please don't abbreviate anything to CiM...ever...
Well for fans of the CiM series, they usually call their sims cims.

Thank you for your protest but it will fall on deaf ears.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50