Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 111361 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, the spiritual sucessor for SimCity 4.
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 07:15:50 pm »

Oh my goodness. I'm going to have to try really hard not to get hyped for this. I was always frustrated with the SimCity games for not having good public transit, and I've still got a soft spot in my heart for Cities XL for improving on that. I still remember that feeling of astonishment when I discovered the Cities in Motion games and realized that I wasn't the only one craving a really solid public transit simulator. I'm trying to temper my excitement by remembering that they'll have a million DLC packs, but it's not working as well as I'd like.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »

Gameplay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP-l4JeNfI4&list=PLiIy6w49W8ok1SWCeKaXxVhnvQB0ylFnv

Looks really awesome!

The main highway and map block just tells me this is way more SimCity(5) and much less 4.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:00 am »

So if anyone is still looking at this game, the media embargo breaks today. There will be a lot of video content coming out.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:33 am »

I really wish I had the money to pre-order.

Alas, I do not, so I will instead wait for reviews, and if they're positive, go for the skull and crossbones discount.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:46 am »

I have been following the Dev Logs, and I have to say it definitely takes more after Sim City 4 then 5.

I'll update OP tonight, when I get to gander at some of the reviews.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:14:23 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 10:13:53 am »

I really wish I had the money to pre-order.

Alas, I do not, so I will instead wait for reviews, and if they're positive, go for the skull and crossbones discount.
If it helps any, GMG has the game for $21.89 right now.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 10:46:00 am »

They literally can not make a game that is worse than SimCity, so they're already winning.

Old post, I know. But see: SimCity Societies.
It's probably worse than the current SimCity :P
Just sayin', it's possible, heh.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 11:01:03 am »

They literally can not make a game that is worse than SimCity, so they're already winning.

Old post, I know. But see: SimCity Societies.
It's probably worse than the current SimCity :P
Just sayin', it's possible, heh.
And lest we forget...

http://www.ea.com/simcity-buildit/

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:35 am »

Well, it certainly looks nice, and I love the greater road customization, but I'm still going to prevent myself from getting too hype.

*reads the comments, sees the developer responding*

...They're actually modeling individuals? Individuals who own cars and commute? That's... ambitious... *tries not to get hype harder*

However, it's only up to 1 million! No more people allowed!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:02 am »

Well, it certainly looks nice, and I love the greater road customization, but I'm still going to prevent myself from getting too hype.

*reads the comments, sees the developer responding*

...They're actually modeling individuals? Individuals who own cars and commute? That's... ambitious... *tries not to get hype harder*

However, it's only up to 1 million! No more people allowed!
Oh no, a game that ONLY models 1 million individual sims! Whatever shall we do?

Keep in mind that SimCity 5 had a hard max of what, 10k agents at any time? And ONLY a 2km by 2km play area? The area in Skylines can get up to 9 of those 2x2 tiles, more with modding support.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:55 pm »

Cities with populations larger than that should probably be modelled with multiple adjacent cities.

I mean, in SimCity 4 the biggest map was 256x256. That's like 100 x 100 houses on average or something. But you could end up with 100 million people living in them (sure, using skyscrapers with thousands of people each). I'm pretty sure a city like New York or Los Angeles, which are somewhere between 10 and 20 million, isn't 100 by 100 houses wide.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 02:23:02 pm »

Well, I sure WANT this to be a good game. Nothing to do, I think, but wait until reviews come in though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 02:27:42 pm »

For comparison, the Simcity 2013 game used an inflated population number to make you feel better about the city but in reality if you saw 1 million sims in the city population, you only actually had ~130k 'real' sims being processed and only something like 10k of those could be agents in the city. Most of them were stay-at-home shoppers, abstracted children/students or goods consumers.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Gameplay videos out now!
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »

Post to watch the citybuilding, because it looks awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50