Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When will this be possible in dwarf fortress?  (Read 1828 times)

stormsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When will this be possible in dwarf fortress?
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:40:45 pm »

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/‘salmon-cannon’-allows-safe-migration-around-hydroelectric-dams

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: When will this be possible in dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »

Once water physics are made less laggy and more realistic, it might be possible to pressurise water containing salmon and launch them into the air. So idea about the particulars, though.

Edit: You might want to move this to Fortress Mode discussion or DF General discussion.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27:46 pm »

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/‘salmon-cannon’-allows-safe-migration-around-hydroelectric-dams

That opposite is possible, hunting of migratory mermaids through desiccation traps.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:13 pm »

If you can get salmon in animal traps, you should be able to eject them by putting those into minecarts, having the cart hit a wall, throwing the animal trap which hits another wall, which should throw the raw salmon.

Unfortunately, water doesn't slow down flying objects, so they'd probably hit the bottom of the catch pool and explode or something, but I'd still call that a success.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 12:58:21 pm »

If you can get salmon in animal traps, you should be able to eject them by putting those into minecarts, having the cart hit a wall, throwing the animal trap which hits another wall, which should throw the raw salmon.

Unfortunately, water doesn't slow down flying objects, so they'd probably hit the bottom of the catch pool and explode or something, but I'd still call that a success.

SIGGED.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i