Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ⊕Creepycaverns⊕ Added creatures, make the caverns that bit more flavoursome.  (Read 9396 times)

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

Are you fed up of the daily grind in your fortress?
Have you ever thought something along the lines of, "damn; I wish something horrific would crawl out of the darkness and begin to eat my dwarves."?
Regardless of your answer, I'm sure you'd love some more flavoursome caverns. From giant mantis cutting a swathe through your dormitories, to psychic abominations crawling out from the deep to drive your dwarves insane from beyond their fortifications, you'll be hard pushed to find something in this mod that won't ruin your favourite alcoholic's day. See spoiler below for list of critters ;)

Introducing our latest addition, Illithids! Brain stealing parasites that look almost like squid! Capable of infecting all sentient life, from dwarves to dragons. They will drive your dwarves insane over time with psychic powers, so be sure to kill them. They instill dread and fear in the fortresses they attack (literally, thanks to emotion tag interactions!) and Armok help you should you encounter an illithid brainstealer dragon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our second new friends are dark elves! Here from the deep to steal your men and plunder your forts. They, and illithids, invade from the caverns in full blown sieges! Enjoy!!!

New update:

Added cave fae, which use illusions to terrify any threats that might chance upon them (like a swordsdwarf) as well as cursing dwarves with baldness (bad thoughts and loss of hair), will-o-the-wisp which explode into flames if you kill them, and I also added cave goblins which are remarkably stupid, stunted goblins led by an upper caste of hobgoblins (hairy goblins - have normal intelligence) that swarm underground.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Link
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:43:46 am by Godlysockpuppet »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Just a bug I know about: Underground civs ignore the creatures depth, so your dark elves randomly appear throughout cavern 1-3.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

Just a bug I know about: Underground civs ignore the creatures depth, so your dark elves randomly appear throughout cavern 1-3.
I was kind of hoping they'd only appear in the second one (Give people a chance, when they break through to the first one) But oh well. Any idea about the hide interaction? :P
Also any thoughts on mundane creatures I can add? Non threatening things that can roam around, I don't want this to just be one of those 'Adds more things to kill you' mods (Although that's there too!!)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Check out the Deeper Dwarven Domestication mod that added weird dwarven livestock.

Bouldercrabs that lay flux. Bats with shearable wings. Weird gemturtles that lay gems. I miss those, they haven't updated for .40 and it seems they're orphaned.

Maybe usage_hint clean_self instead of none?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Give them USAGE_HINT:ATTACK and FLEEING so they would hide when they ambush and/or flee, it works amazingly well.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

Give them USAGE_HINT:ATTACK and FLEEING so they would hide when they ambush and/or flee, it works amazingly well.
Once I get some spare time I will :) I'll see if that fixes things.

Check out the Deeper Dwarven Domestication mod that added weird dwarven livestock.

Bouldercrabs that lay flux. Bats with shearable wings. Weird gemturtles that lay gems. I miss those, they haven't updated for .40 and it seems they're orphaned.

Maybe usage_hint clean_self instead of none?
Yeah, I saw this mod a while back! Really like the creatures in it. You could update them easily enough for yourself, just add appropriate gaits, remove the old speed tags, and add in low light vision. Should do the trick! I'm still open for cave critters to add. Preferably mundane things, that don't change the vanilla experience a whole lot, no adamantine dragon fire breathing colossi please!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile

Hey! I'm planning to release a mod that introduces farmable plants growing as shrubs in the second and third cavern layers, and as a result, I think we could be interested in each other's mods due to the matching area of interest. If you're looking for ideas for your mod, I guess I could try thinking of some!
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

Hey! I'm planning to release a mod that introduces farmable plants shrubs in the second and third cavern layers, and as a result, I think we could be interested in each other's mods due to the matching area of interest. If you're looking for ideas for your mod, I guess I could try thinking of some!
I'm working more on the fauna side, but flora could be cool too! There is an overlap there! Plants in the second/third cavern is probably best too, otherwise you can take them on embark and things can get crazy cluttered pretty quick.
Send me a message!

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

Huge update, extremely old mod of mine rebuilt from the ground up. See first post for details, old version was crap, new version includes 50ish creatures including vermin to be found in the caverns. Feedback welcome :)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile

May I use this creature pack in my own mod? I'd give credit, obviously, I just like to consolidate mods I like into my own so people don't have to go through multiple downloads.Either way I just like it and will be linking it in a little signal boosting document in my mod~ Also, if I may suggest, cave squids and octopi.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:54:14 am by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

May I use this creature pack in my own mod? I'd give credit, obviously, I just like to consolidate mods I like into my own so people don't have to go through multiple downloads.Either way I just like it and will be linking it in a little signal boosting document in my mod~ Also, if I may suggest, cave squids and octopi.
Go nuts, and I like the suggestion. Squids and octopi :)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile

Go nuts, and I like the suggestion. Squids and octopi :)

In fact, in general, cave adaptations of ocean creatures. I can't be the only one who keeps finding empty oceans!
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile

seems interesting, I'll check it out later...

Quick question though... How good would you say you are at modding creatures? I need help with adding a few custom beings to my mod.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

seems interesting, I'll check it out later...

Quick question though... How good would you say you are at modding creatures? I need help with adding a few custom beings to my mod.
I'm willing to help you fix any mistakes you make, or offer advice but I'm not going to go making creatures for you ;) Unless they're for my own mod that is.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

Minor update, added cave squid and ocotopi, along with their giant counterparts. Octopi might harass your fisherdwarves. :D
Pages: [1] 2