Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Feedback of 0.40.XX  (Read 6426 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback of 0.40.XX
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 02:26:00 am »

Underground travel would be less confusing if your sight radius on the travel map was greater than one tile. A dwarf adventurer - who should have used those tunnels hundreds of times before - shouldn't be groping around in the dark like that. The asterisks that represent other travelers could still be absent underground, preventing you from knowing what might be waiting around the next bend.

Another thing about worldgen fortresses: Does anyone know why bug 6563 and bug 5598 haven't been fixed yet? It seems like a straightforward change to make.

I could have sworn Toady mentioned in one of the first bug fixing devlogs that this was on the immediate menu. Can't imagine why it hasn't gotten the squash yet. Maybe the problem was more complex than originally thought? 

You can't ever say that something is straightforward to fix without access to the code. Oy Maybe Toady didn't get around to it. However, this bug and the fact of how difficult is to navigate inside dwarven fortresses are the reason I never play as a dwarf in adventurer mode.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 05:16:08 am »

That's the reason i only play human adventurer, considering how much equipment worn influence greatly on how your adventurer will survive or die in fights, playing dwarves or elves is just calling for random death by an undead/nightcreature/bogey enemy doing a lucky kick or punch that your pitiful clothes will not have a chance to deflect that will chip your bone, make you unconscious then dead

Just noticed in the changelog for the next version
0006810: [Adventure Mode -- AI] AI almost never reacting to being attacked from stealth. (Toady One) - resolved.
One of the major adventure mode fun breaker should be fixed in next version ?
Great , can't wait to see people finally starting to react.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:20:23 am by Robsoie »

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 08:17:28 am »

playing dwarves or elves is just calling for random death by an undead/nightcreature/bogey enemy doing a lucky kick or punch

Heh, heh. Playing any race is just calling for random death, isn't it? But I get your point.

Still, playing as a human, I have no real problem with anything until I inevitably encounter something that's completely invulnerable to my attack - usually, because I can't hit it, not matter how many times I try (a bowman deflecting every one of my axe attacks with his bow) or I can't harm it (a necromancer corpse which I can hit with my axe, and badly damage, but without any useful result at all).

My point is that every death seems random, because it just depends on running into something that's impossible to kill.

There are a lot of things I wish were fixed in adventure mode, but maybe my biggest disappointment has been the conversation system. There are lots of topics, but no way to ask about anything I'd like to know.

Goblins told me they were on a mission, but I couldn't follow up on that. What mission? What did it have to do with me? The townspeople told me that a bandit gang was harassing people in the street. OK, but so what? I couldn't confirm that they were talking about the goblins, I couldn't ask the goblins about it, and I couldn't find out what they wanted me to do about it. Enemies yell out that they yield, but I can't follow up on that, either. I can't demand that they drop their weapons, or pay me off, or anything else. And they don't seem to stop fighting, either.

My followers immediately run away at the start of every fight. I can't ask them what they think they're doing. I can't chew them out. I can't threaten them. I can't encourage them. It just happens. These are people who wanted me to "lead them to glory and death," yet they don't even wait until they take damage before bugging out!

Oh, well, I need to start a new fortress, anyway. For me, adventure mode is just something to mess around with between fortresses.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:36:32 am »

That's basically the other major fun breaker bug in adventure mode , the 40.0x morale/reaction systems that are completely broken, something that didn't happened in 34.11.

Now that the stealth one is hopefully fixed (we'll see on 0.40.10) , i hope this big one will be taken out soon, it makes it hard to be immersed in the game when evil murderous horrible creatures like goblins just tells your dwarf "greeting, long live the cause" or when you kill half a site population and no guards will ever try to stop you, or a war occuring in a site you're supposed to belong to, and the attacking side is not hostile to you at all, or those bandits that are happy to see you despite you're a guard of the castle in the region they've been raiding and pillaging, your Lady or Lord that run away from you when you approach to talk everytime despite you serve them well, everyone being afraid of his own shadow, etc...

This emotion/reaction system is the very big bad currently in my opinion. And i guess it has impact in fortress mode too  with your burly veteran axedwarf squad running away in terror from just seeing a couple of goblin invaders.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 12:05:07 pm »

That's basically the other major fun breaker bug in adventure mode , the 40.0x morale/reaction systems that are completely broken, something that didn't happened in 34.11.

Now that the stealth one is hopefully fixed (we'll see on 0.40.10) , i hope this big one will be taken out soon, it makes it hard to be immersed in the game when evil murderous horrible creatures like goblins just tells your dwarf "greeting, long live the cause" or when you kill half a site population and no guards will ever try to stop you, or a war occuring in a site you're supposed to belong to, and the attacking side is not hostile to you at all, or those bandits that are happy to see you despite you're a guard of the castle in the region they've been raiding and pillaging, your Lady or Lord that run away from you when you approach to talk everytime despite you serve them well, everyone being afraid of his own shadow, etc...

This emotion/reaction system is the very big bad currently in my opinion. And i guess it has impact in fortress mode too  with your burly veteran axedwarf squad running away in terror from just seeing a couple of goblin invaders.

I hadn't any problem with morale in fortress mode. I choose well my dwarf soldiers, and avoid those who don't like to fight or who are cowards. They get discipline by training, so by the time they have to fight they are cold, calculating machines of death.

In adventure mode you can't see into companions personalities.

dukestabbington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

I can't demand that they drop their weapons, or pay me off, or anything else.

You can do both of these things. Trade screen, request an item, offer nothing. People actually responding in a way that makes sense is less reliable, of course. If you do successfully do this, it goes down in historical events as a robbery and people talk about it, though.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 09:03:18 am »

Toady worked on saves regarding morale yesterday. I will wait the next version to give more feedback. Given the complexity of the issues, it will take some time untill all situations are fixed...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:28 pm »

Not sure if minotaurs actually have weapons now because I ran into one who has a steel short sword for the first time. He unsheathed the weapon and was supicious at my sneaking, but they're still incredibly flighty as instead of attacking me, he ran off screaming 'AAAAA!! ADVENTURER!!! AAAAA!!*'

Edit: Lol, he did the same thing again, like he is about to fight but suddenly bolts.

*dramatization, lol....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:44:18 pm by smjjames »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 04:14:12 am »

Not sure if minotaurs actually have weapons now because I ran into one who has a steel short sword for the first time. He unsheathed the weapon and was supicious at my sneaking, but they're still incredibly flighty as instead of attacking me, he ran off screaming 'AAAAA!! ADVENTURER!!! AAAAA!!*'

Edit: Lol, he did the same thing again, like he is about to fight but suddenly bolts.

*dramatization, lol....

Minotaurs have weapons since 0.31.XX, I guess.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:11 pm »

Toady managed to fix some problems with relations and emotions :
0008027: [Adventure Mode -- AI] Companions not helping to fight an undead dingo
0007360: [Dwarf Mode -- Combat] Combat horror and cowardice too common

Very good, relations and emotions being broken are the big ones still left, those bugfixes will certainly solve many related cases.
0.40.11 should approach awesome level for Adventure mode.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »

*dramatization, lol....

Minotaurs have weapons since 0.31.XX, I guess.

They never did have weapons when they invaded forts back in 0.34.11 and this is the first time that I've seen a minotaur actually have a weapon.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 05:34:06 pm »

I find it stupid that quests are gone now. Now everything is just one big incomprehensible pile of events that make less and less sense the more time goes on.

Oh well, it was inevitable.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 06:03:39 pm »

It's a WIP kind of thing really.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 07:05:14 pm »

Toady fixed a big one for the non-human adventurers for the incoming 0.40.11 :
0005598: [Adventure Mode -- Town] Town shops/cabinets contain human-sized clothes regardless of size of actual residents (Toady One) - resolved.
0006563: [Adventure Mode -- Environment] All clothes in cabinets of Dwarven Fortress are too large for dwarves (Toady One) - resolved.

great news ! though there may be some problems left
Quote from: Toady One
There is an extent to which this is an extension of the unfinished trade stuff. I've fixed it to some degree, but there will continue to be problems for a long while, since it is very tricky to manage the items and make them regenerate properly in the face of changing populations etc.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:07:32 pm by Robsoie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 07:08:07 pm »

He said it was sort of fixed.

How much of an extent it's fixed though, no idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3