Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Zoegate, AKA the fall of Video Game Media.  (Read 26254 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Zoegate, AKA the fall of Video Game Media.
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:17 pm »

Is there any sort of credible, unbiased gaming media source with integrity?

Didn't that Forbes guy basically prove that gaming media at large has the journalist qualities as a diseased cow? 
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »

Didn't that Forbes guy basically prove that gaming media at large has the journalist qualities as a diseased cow?

ZeroPunctuation. :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2014, 12:12:47 pm »

Honestly I don't ENTIRELY blame gaming media for it being biased.

Anytime a reviewer doesn't like or dislike a game as much as the viewer does... they throw a tizzy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »

If they're making a living from it, probably not. Least that seems to be the general pattern. Some of the folks that are very specific or purely hobbyist seem to do mostly alright, but they're not exactly gaming media journalists or anything of the sort. Just folks talking about something that interests them.

Really, though, journalism in general is just kinda' buggered. Has been basically forever. You'll occasionally get a handful that are trustable on specific topics (and dubious on others), but that's about the best it turns out. Is what happens when your best means of making profit is either controversy or kickbacks, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »

Meh, gaming is full of personal preferences, so game "journalism" wouldn't reliable even if it was good anyway. Plus, you can try (illegaly) any game you want to buy, so there is no point in reading the articles.

Add to this that "censorship" on default subs have always been pervasive, that supressing the shitstorm that was brewing looked like a good idea, that the whole matter if full of personal details that are nobody's buisness, and that the alleged "faults" are common and inconsequential, and you have the most worthless contreversy ever.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

Or we actually talking about censorship or is it just Reddit deleting everything that may contain personal information?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2014, 12:27:14 pm »

Or we actually talking about censorship or is it just Reddit deleting everything that may contain personal information?

Bit of both. The mod got very heavy handed, but I think they were just trying to avoid precisely this. With both the red pill and SRS next door, a contreversy about a women writing video-games, her sex life and the community was bound to be... entretaining?

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »

So it wasn't even an admin?

People really seem to like drama :|

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2014, 12:33:12 pm »

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the entire event.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2014, 12:34:46 pm »

Now totalbiscuit is being harassed by her defensors and she called him out publicly because he wrote a post on the topic. The only thing left to do is to praise Toady and pass the popcorn.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:46 pm »

So it wasn't even an admin?

Nope, it was an admin, personally asked by Zoe to do so. Chupacabracake or something or other.

Also, as far as reasonably up-front sources go, I'd frankly suggest Total Biscuit.
He's one of the few critics that consistently points out his own personal bias regarding games, tries to give a reasonably objective assessment and consistently (almost obnoxiously) points out if the content he's doing is part of a paid advertising campaign.

Now totalbiscuit is being harassed by her defensors and she called him out publicly because he wrote a post on the topic. The only thing left to do is to praise Toady and pass the popcorn.
Gotta love cognitive dissonance.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2014, 12:41:17 pm »

Yeah, attack TB. I'm sure Zoe's defenders/fanbase is large enough that the backlash won't increase the stupid of this event by a factor of 4.

Anyways, I trust game journos to the extent they describe what they see in a game they've touched, and how it made them feel. Beyond that, and regurgitated press releases and Twitter dramas, I take everything they say with a grain of salt. Particularly their perceptions of the industry as a whole, which have become so skewed the last few years I get nauseous just reading the first few sentences. SJW or not, I wish people would just shut the fuck up and get back to talking about fun, and having fun, instead of trying to validate their career choice by becoming a goddamn crusader.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2014, 12:43:16 pm »

Game rating by itself has become a broken metric due to the blatant misuse of the 1-10 scale.

10/10 'it's okay'
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »

Chupacabracake or something or other.

Yeah, he's a mod, not an admin.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2014, 02:06:16 pm »

I really wish this whole shitstorm wasn't based around something sexual, it just makes it easier for both sides to turn this into a gender debate. And then we get people jumping to her defense or immediately demonizing her without taking time to actually look through evidence first. Judging by the multiple testimonies and sudden deletion of twitter accounts there's definitely something fishy going on with this girl...

...But fuck if I'm going to get involved with the conversation, I'll just get pegged as an "SJW" or "MRA" and get strawmanned into oblivion.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11