Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 760954 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:15:03 am »

Pictured: You

What is Chapter Master?

Chapter Master is a Space Marine chapter simulation game where you, yes you, take on the role of the Chapter Master of either a preexisting or custom Space Marine chapter and lead them to glory!*

*Glory may involve being brutally murdered by the Inquisition/Orks/Tau/Eldar/Tyranids/Chaos

Chapter Master had a history that can best be described as "troubled". The project was all but abandoned by 2013, but one user named Duke brought the game back on August 9th of this year, Emperor be praised. The detailed story is below, as ripped from 1d4chan:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The 1d4chan page can be found here. The situation has changed with regards to the downloads - to avoid the perils of GWs lawyers, the game is now tagged as Interstellar Army Simulator. There is a Chapter Master mod for it, however. The IAS download is here and the CM mod is here. Just put the mod zip in the IAS mods folder and you're good to go! That is, if it works. Which it might not, as of this writing. Check the latest posts in the thread to see what the situation is.

Manual here, FAQ here.

In order to fix any placeholder icon issues/general display issues, try this fix from Guardsman111:

A Horus Heresy mod/retexture (also by Guardsman111, he deserves a medal or something) exists here.

IN THE EMPEROR'S NAME, LET NONE SURVIVE!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 10:44:51 am by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:21:39 am »

Hey, that's pretty cool news! I remember following this before and then getting sad when the development went ghost town. Is this new alpha completely independent from their previous attempts?

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:37 am »

I can't seem to move my ships or.. DO anything really, except talk to "Advisers" talking about warhammer jargon I don't understand. Woo!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:33 am »

*fapping intensifies*

I'll have to check this out soon.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:32:22 am »

This looks very interesting.

I'm not sure how much of this is actual gameplay and how much is it just wet-dreams of what-may-this-game-be-in-the-future, but it sure sounds veeeeeeery interesting.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:31 am »

This looks very interesting.

I'm not sure how much of this is actual gameplay and how much is it just wet-dreams of what-may-this-game-be-in-the-future, but it sure sounds veeeeeeery interesting.

It's a mix. The Inquisition will come to fuck up your shit if you have chaos artifacts hanging around, but I don't know if you can get tech upgrades from xenos civs. There are WAAAGHS. That post was awfully prescient for something from 2011, though.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 10:49:02 am »

I can't seem to move my ships or.. DO anything really, except talk to "Advisers" talking about warhammer jargon I don't understand. Woo!

There's a manual linked on the 1d4chan page. I'll add it to the OP.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:40 am »

There's a manual linked on the 1d4chan page. I'll add it to the OP.

Yeah thanks, I'll see if I can get anything out of this game. It looks pretty interesting, even for me being an outsider to the warhammer universe.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:58 am »

Hey, that's pretty cool news! I remember following this before and then getting sad when the development went ghost town. Is this new alpha completely independent from their previous attempts?

Sorta? It's one guy, Duke, instead of a team. Seeing as how there wasn't really gameplay in the last version, it's hard to tell how much code was borrowed and how much is new. There are sounds and music added, as well. One of the songs is Vode An, or Brothers All. It's a bit weird to hear Mandalorian in a 40k game, but the sentiment is about right.

qazcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 11:15:49 am »

Played it and liked it some. Learned never to go after a plannet that has an extreme infestation of orks. I wish the pdf and the imperial guard units would help you fight in battle or other allies help you if there on plannet

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:21:06 am »

They do - whenever the enemies don't attack you on their combat turn, it's because they are tied up with fighting your allies.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:41 pm »

Played it and liked it some. Learned never to go after a plannet that has an extreme infestation of orks. I wish the pdf and the imperial guard units would help you fight in battle or other allies help you if there on plannet

Bombardment is your friend.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 12:33:47 pm »

Played it and liked it some. Learned never to go after a plannet that has an extreme infestation of orks.

Cleanse it from orbit. Any humans on the planet have failed the Emperor by allowing the situation to become so dire, and only cleansing fire may preserve their soul.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:16 pm »

If this was 40k fiction, there's be some stupid reason why you couldn't bombard every problem. "Oh, we can't lose that Promethium Refinery, it's the biggest one for 3 sectors around." "Oh, that foe is so dangerous we need visual confirmation they're dead, because just firing a virus missile or cyclonic warheads at the planet just isn't thorough enough."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:11:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »

Just throw 700-800 battle brothers at a problem, and you'll generally walk out with only a few scuffs and scratches in the paint of the armour. Warbosses are ridiculously tough. I mean, several hundred bolter salvoes, fair enough. But several dozen lascannon shots? That's goddamn crazy.

Though I think I have something much, much worse coming for me.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 288