Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 771044 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3120 on: April 23, 2016, 09:50:35 am »

I'd like to be able to issue standing equipment orders like "every Terminator Squad is to have one battle brother with a heavy flamer", "in this company, two marines in each Tactical Squad are to carry a plasma gun" or "Assault Sergeants of these companies get eviscerators". And if marines get promoted or die, they'd be automatically assigned appropriate gear to cut down on micro.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: April 23, 2016, 11:08:00 am »

BUGS

1) I get an error tab every time i start the game. If i exit it, i crash immediately after clicking anything, if i click OK, all is good.
2) The map, or occasionally stars will disappear into a black screen whenever i click a start. Fixed by clicking anywhere else.
3) Most of the helms and items are off center from characters.

Name-fixing

Simon=Sinon
Harley=Harle
Short=Dhort
Weather=Delete this.
Will get on the name-fixing at some point this weekend. Can you e-mail me a screenshot of the specific error message? And can you describe the process to make a star disappear? I'll see if I can replicate my end and track the bug down.

I'll say that the system in place with the newest Alpha is really good. I'd like a kill-counter for important people like the Chapter Master/Captains/Honour Guards etc.

If you're referring to the info box on the right of the marine editor, there is a fairly fancy system in place for tracking battle history I just haven't gotten around to displaying it yet. It's called "Battle Record" internatnally, and will record every fight any soldier has been in, any notable kills they made and any injuries/abilities/XP they gained as well as the sector/location it was at and who else was there. Obviously this is set to be implemented when battles are done, but for now all of the elements are stored in each soldier's info it just isn't shown yet.

I plan to add tabs above the info box for stats, battle record and options to conserve space.

If you're up for generating more lists of things for me, it'd be useful to have a list of "mottos" - this can largely be anything, but obviously in-theme stuff like "For the Emperor!" and all that is preferable. As many as possible, as ever. These will have a Special Purpose that will come up later.

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: April 24, 2016, 09:31:01 am »

I'm working on cleaning up and Emprahfying a list of a couple hundred unit mottos I've filched off Wikipedia's list of Roman legions and List of military unit mottoes etc. Should I keep the Latin ones / even make more (Google translate Latin) or translate them all to English?

Is the list of names somewhere? I'd add some more if I can (roughly) rule out what's already in there. Might be fun to sprinkle in some Sumeran names or something? Or would that be unimperial?

e: Ima keep new Latin to the absolute minimum, Google translate is giving suspiciously weird results
e: serious lols at the lazy fucks who had to come up with the motto for some fourth-tier country's 254th regiment and went "eh fuck it, lets go with 'who dares, wins'"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:09:34 am by frankensteins poster »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: April 24, 2016, 11:00:51 am »

Well, plus the chapter specific ones?

Like "Knowledge is power- guard it well" from the blood ravens, or "into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war", salamanders?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: April 24, 2016, 11:28:41 am »

I'd help out if get off this damned phone and onto a PC.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: April 24, 2016, 12:12:48 pm »

The most recent SSME + CM mod bundle contains the most up to date list of names, in /Mods/CM/Text/soldierNames.txt

As for mottos, I personally don't even really care - I am lessi nvested in the CM mod than I am in the engine overall so ultimately whatever you guys collectively think would be best is what I'll happily stick in the rar archive.

No new release today, but I will do blog post with some screenshots and info in a couple hours or so. Hype!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: April 24, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »

Hah. Number of people who will play the non-40k version: Three-ish.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: April 24, 2016, 12:52:27 pm »

I would however love to see this as an engine for other universes. Obviously we'd need the ability to tweak some of the base game, but I can imagine some really awesome TC mods (Starship Troopers, Mass Effect etc.) just with a quick re-skin and some number fiddling.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: April 24, 2016, 01:10:16 pm »

That may well be the case, but I hope not. The engine is itself going to be as generic as I can possibly make it to suppor the widest variety of games possible. That tied in with the fact I know not very much about 40k means that I have little vested interest in overseeing the creation of the mod beyond providing information on what is needed and sculpting it to fit the engine's requirements so you guys can play it.

I'm hoping that once we reach a certain stage of development and there is a pre-existing mod or mods, I'll stop updating the CM mod itself and leave that to you bright sparks, and instead just publish developer information or keep in contact with the main mod updaters to provide them with information on how to use new features.

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: April 24, 2016, 01:54:19 pm »

Wait, if lore is part of the issue, why not just consult people who are knowledgable about it?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: April 24, 2016, 02:17:06 pm »

^^ effort

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: April 24, 2016, 02:45:56 pm »

Wait, if lore is part of the issue, why not just consult people who are knowledgable about it?

Not to speak for Flow, but I don't think it's that Lore is an issue in terms of it slowing development, more that he/she probably doesn't care about it as much as some people here, and they can probably do a better job of recreating w40k given the tools.  If it's all in basic JSON/xml and config files there's really no excuse for others not picking up the modding mantle, especially with how keen everyone here seems. I'll definitely be attempting a Dune Mod of some sort for instance.

One thing that would be absolutely amazing in terms of modding is if we could have all of each races files in one folder. So you'd have an 'Eldar' folder and a 'Borg' folder which would include everything in it which could just be zipped up and used on a different pc - that'd be brilliant for creating your own crossover mods, and would also allow people to create and share their own versions of how they see races working.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: April 24, 2016, 03:44:55 pm »

Not to speak for Flow, but I don't think it's that Lore is an issue in terms of it slowing development, more that he/she probably doesn't care about it as much as some people here, and they can probably do a better job of recreating w40k given the tools.  If it's all in basic JSON/xml and config files there's really no excuse for others not picking up the modding mantle, especially with how keen everyone here seems. I'll definitely be attempting a Dune Mod of some sort for instance.

One thing that would be absolutely amazing in terms of modding is if we could have all of each races files in one folder. So you'd have an 'Eldar' folder and a 'Borg' folder which would include everything in it which could just be zipped up and used on a different pc - that'd be brilliant for creating your own crossover mods, and would also allow people to create and share their own versions of how they see races working.

To a large extent this is correct. And even moreso than JSON/XML - I'm doing as much of the processing in the engine as possible so anyone can come along and edit some plain text files to make changes to their game.

To a larger extent, I just don't want to make a specifically 40k game. I would it is obvious to everyone by now why that is. I'm interested in making an engine that I can maintain, expand and tinker with endlessly over several months/years/whatever, and have as an ongoing hobby project. What I don't want to do is shoot for a specific Chapter Master / Star Wars / whatever trademarked game, burn twice as bright and half as long, and get sued for my hobby. The safest and securest way for me to do what I want to do - create cool management games - is to only produce a generic engine and transfer mod creation over to the public as early as is physically possible.

Anyway, time to write a blog post!

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: April 24, 2016, 04:50:48 pm »

New update looks goddamned fantastic, Flow.

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: April 24, 2016, 05:59:54 pm »

Whoops, if I had thought about that I could've kept the non-Emprahfied versions around for the generic manager. De-Emprahfying shouldn't take too long if someone wanted to do it and would still yield a bunch of things, since as-is the list is absolutely unreasonably long. It's probably a bit redundant here and there due to the unsystematic way I compiled it. Anyway: http://pastebin.com/59rfY2EV
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 288