Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 762844 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3540 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:14 pm »

always bet on duke covi

Lol, I wouldn't go that far yet. I've only just begun on the Unity rewrite. Who knows if I'll ever finish. Hey do you think that Duke would mind if I used his graphics and music? I'm a decent programmer but I'm SOL when it comes to graphics and sounds (its why I usually program server APIs instead of games).
I reckon he won't mind, considering he put his stuff out there to be used by whoever wants it, but feel free to ask him if you have doubts.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 22, 2017, 11:12:51 pm »

Pretty sure you'd have Duke's blessing to reuse as much of CM as you can manage, as long as you're willing to assume the risks that doing so comes with.

Me? I'd be happy to see a re-implementation of CM. It was just that fluffy and good. But I know each coder has their own ideas about what's fun, what works, etc..
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

covi2955

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: August 23, 2017, 12:12:06 am »

Me? I'd be happy to see a re-implementation of CM. It was just that fluffy and good. But I know each coder has their own ideas about what's fun, what works, etc..
I know what you mean, I love the game, I just wish it had a few more features and didn't crash so much. That's why I'm interested in picking it up. I'm hoping to make this moddable in such a way as to let players add their own factions and equipment. I think that would both let me make it as non-40k as I need to for legal reasons, and at the same time make it super easy for the community to contribute.
But we'll see how far I get.

covi2955

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: August 24, 2017, 01:08:51 pm »

Not that I'm even remotely close to implementing this feature, but out of curiosity what do the licenses do in the game? I see that you can trade with the imperium to get a Crusade License and a Repair License. But I have never gotten on good enough terms with the imperium to purchase these items.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: August 24, 2017, 01:31:33 pm »

Repair lets your fleets repair in Imperial places and Crusade (IIRC) gives you limited control over other Imperial forces, basically declaring a Crusade.

covi2955

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: August 24, 2017, 03:38:18 pm »

Thanks for that answer Majestic7. That helps a lot.
So, here's the plan so far (though I'm not very far in). Consider this the "what I hope to achieve" roadmap. I'm going to be developing a very generic "space army simulation game" in unity (as if I were to make a WH40k game I'd probably be shut down by GW's trigger happy lawyers). However I'm building it to be highly moddable from the start (even my primary content which I intentionally don't care about is going to be a mod). It will let you pick which mod you wish to play when you start up the game (much like Mount & Blade Warband's launcher).

Each Mod will contain:
 -a splashscreen image.
 -a map generation file where you get to define system types, planet types, (and frequency) and map size.
 -a factions folder where you create all playable and non-playable factions for the game
          -a faction will declare its army structure, its units, its equipment, and either pick an existing ai type or have the ability to create your own ai.
          -factions will also have an "affinity" group and value(so most human/LSM factions could have an affinity to the imperium group, CSM and deamons can have an affinity to chaos, etc.). This really just affects starting diplomacy, though in the future we may have a "loyalty" value based somewhat on this.
          -and factions will contain events that can happen to them (I will have to make this related to a faction in order to let the wh40k mods get lore right).

When you play the game, just by this engine's nature, you will be picking which factions are present in your game. While some people may really like this feature ("yay, no [insert faction you hate here]"), I feel that it would be beneficial to have a "standard game" (how the mod was meant to be played) as well. So I'll try to implement that into the mod system later.

After I get the base game working (it takes a bit longer to build modularly like this, but I have hope) I plan on releasing it to the community so that people with unity experience (and hopefully those without) can begin working on mods. I then hope to make a tool so that you don't need programming experience to make a mod.

Lastly I hope to create a way for mods to have "dedicated factions" (such as existing chapters) and "alterable factions," this way there can be features such as creating your own chapter in the game (instead of via modding tools).

That's the roadmap I hope to manage. I'll keep you guys informed of progress. Wish me luck!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: August 24, 2017, 04:14:18 pm »

Obligatory:

Consider this the "what I hope to achieve" roadmap.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

That said, may the Emperor's hand guide you on your crusade.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

covi2955

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 24, 2017, 04:19:00 pm »

Obligatory:

Consider this the "what I hope to achieve" roadmap.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

That said, may the Emperor's hand guide you on your crusade.

Lol, I nearly died of laughter from that perfect Dawn of War quote.

kamsim2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: September 06, 2017, 11:12:22 am »

So, hello, I do not write much in English, so let's go

I ran into the problem of saving. Previously, this was not, reinstalling the game does not help, when the game is swirled, it simply throws it into the gravel menu. I've been able to re-try who can help me with this?

covi2955

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: September 27, 2017, 09:02:13 am »

To give an update, I am still working on the rewrite. I haven't had as much time as I'd hoped but it is coming along. For any programmers out there who'd like any details, I'm building it "data driven" and using Unity primarily as the UI, and right now am just working on getting the object structure/data built.
I'll let you guys know when I have anything you can really look at.

So, hello, I do not write much in English, so let's go

I ran into the problem of saving. Previously, this was not, reinstalling the game does not help, when the game is swirled, it simply throws it into the gravel menu. I've been able to re-try who can help me with this?
Sorry, I'm not much good at troubleshooting the old game. Its crazy buggy. So I can't really help you, but I quoted you to remind the community of your problem in case anyone else can help.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:29 am »

If you end up getting an alpha build out, that would probably be a dream come true.
I'm rooting for you, at the very least.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

covi2955

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: September 27, 2017, 12:09:50 pm »

While I certainly don't want to promise anything in this direction either way (I mean, the game is still the early phases), I'd like to know the community's thoughts on this and whether I would be crucified for this type of a decision or not. Games Workshop a couple years ago changed their licensing model to be much more flexible which is why there was a sudden surge of wh40k games to the market. Among these they have a "profit share" style model specifically for smaller projects that couldn't outright purchase large licensing fees. I haven't talked to them (which is where details would be discussed since they don't publish those details), but there is the option of making this official and selling it for a small price instead of having to put extra effort into this to make it decisively not wh40k.

The pros would be I could focus more on content and less on dodging legal arrows, and I could sell it for a fairly small price (probably dependent somewhat on the negotiations) to help subsidize my time working on it (allowing me to invest more time and effort), and even subsidize content outsourcing for artwork and whatnot. It would also force me to finish it even if I lose motivation (unlikely but possible) because there would be monetary contracts involved.

The cons would be that I wouldn't be able to use the existing artwork/music/sounds because I have zero rights to any of that (I'd probably need to launch either a kickstarter to fund it, or a temporary patreon with access to pre-alpha and alpha content in order to fund the initial art/music creation), and you guys would have to make a purchase probably through steam to have the game instead of it being freely downloaded (which is where I think most of the concerns would be).

Idk, its just been a thought that has tickled my mind a little (once back when I was working on something similar before I knew about Chapter Master, and recently as I've been doing Chapter Master's rewrite) and I'd like to know what you guys think.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: September 27, 2017, 01:08:49 pm »

I would sugest that you wait until you have something minimally playable before you worry too much about that. Much more likely to get a license tht way, not to mention any possible kickstarter.

That said, if you can get it, go for it. An official Chapter Master? Be still my heart.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

covi2955

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: September 27, 2017, 01:25:14 pm »

I would sugest that you wait until you have something minimally playable before you worry too much about that. Much more likely to get a license tht way, not to mention any possible kickstarter.

That said, if you can get it, go for it. An official Chapter Master? Be still my heart.

Absolutely, I don't plan on going to GW or kickstarter or anything like that until I have at least a minimum viable product. I am mostly just wondering should I even entertain the idea or should I put the extra coding effort into the legal arrow dodge.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:33 pm »

If you get a playable alpha up have no fear, B12 will provide feedback and bug reports.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 288