Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 763369 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3645 on: June 20, 2018, 11:38:12 pm »

I don't write games, so my first inclination was to just let the player edit a text document laying out their desired organization and equipment loadouts. One function to print a list of names of units, available ranks, and equipment, and another to read the combined document back in if it's edited by the player.

I can only imagine what a step backwards this would be.

Meandering Marquis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: June 25, 2018, 09:59:10 am »

I'll admit it was pretty demoralizing when I came into this expecting more positivity. Nonetheless, I'm learning lots and will definitely continue at some pace until I feel like I've learned enough.

RE: 40K
Plan was to get the bones done while gauging interest on the nicer community (Bay12 vs /tg/, I'm starting to rethink my assessment), then posting a more fleshed out version on /tg/ to get art assets, non-40K lore, etc. If I get nice lore for a non-40K setting and nice images regarding said lore, I'll focus on modability. If I get better art assets directly relating to 40K, I'll probably hardcode images and everything in. This is all far in the future; I will not be adding any flavor or adding the functionality for y'all to add your own flavor until I get Save/Load functionality in.

The current program is "playable", but that's a side effect of making it suitable for testing.

STATS
Cleanliness: C -> C
Logic Flow: D -> C-
Understanding of code: B -> B-

Blog here: dudedirector.wordpress.com
Update here

Ships, locations, loading. No unload all button or multiple selection yet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: June 25, 2018, 12:45:47 pm »

I'll admit it was pretty demoralizing when I came into this expecting more positivity. Nonetheless, I'm learning lots and will definitely continue at some pace until I feel like I've learned enough. Plan was to get the bones done while gauging interest on the nicer community (Bay12 vs /tg/, I'm starting to rethink my assessment), then posting a more fleshed out version on /tg/ to get art assets, non-40K lore, etc.
Bay12 is a nice place (probably the nicest forum I've come across), and so if people are getting riled up it IS for a reason. We've outlined those reasons before, but mostly it's that the excuses you've used are the same ones we've had from failed projects before, and don't make a lot of sense either.

RE: 40K
If I get nice lore for a non-40K setting and nice images regarding said lore, I'll focus on modability. If I get better art assets directly relating to 40K, I'll probably hardcode images and everything in.
I really don't understand this - the ONLY thing that will make GW get annoyed is if you use 40k art assets/new art that is directly based on 40k. You said that was your biggest worry, and the only thing you have to do to not have GW breathing down your neck is not use 40k assets.

I also don't understand why you would hardcode 40k assets in and go down the modability route if you didn't get them - the other way round makes sense, this doesn't. If you make everything modable, people can put whatever assets they want in and you wouldn't have to worry, if you have non-40k setting then you can hardcode if you wish as you then also wouldn't have to worry. Did you just get this mixed round?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: June 25, 2018, 01:58:34 pm »

I'll admit it was pretty demoralizing when I came into this expecting more positivity

No offense but you're the.....4th? 5th? dev that has come along and said they were going to try to make something of this after Duke's build. All have disappeared in to the aether.

I can just quote myself from the last time someone bumped the thread and said they were having a go at it:

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: June 25, 2018, 02:27:25 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately Chapter Master is a very salty, festering wound. It's not necessarily your fault, we've just been burned a half dozen times and lost faith in anything but tangible results. If you prove us wrong and bring us something that checks off at least a few boxes and shows promise for future development I have no doubt all us naysayers will gladly eat our socks.

Don't let some salty bastards like me put you off: you're bound to come across worse difficulties programming than a few grizzled old turds.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: June 25, 2018, 03:12:56 pm »

Yeah by all means try. It's just hard to get stoked for another attempt where so many have gotten a star map prototype out, then stopped.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: June 26, 2018, 02:46:05 pm »

I'll admit it was pretty demoralizing when I came into this expecting more positivity.

What, you want cheerleaders for your self-taught closed-source coding tutorial because it happens to sound like yet another doomed imitator of something that was popular once?

This whole thing sounds like a garage project undertaken in the wild hope it will count as "programming experience" by someone who hasn't any formal training.  If the best you'd give your own competence is a B-, that's not going to inspire any confidence in your ability to satisfactorily complete a project of this scope alone -- and since you're not releasing your source code, everything you do is useless to us unless and until you do so.

By all means get as salty as you please and run around the Internet looking for someone optimistic enough to get excited about this, but bear in mind they may take a very long time to find.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: June 26, 2018, 04:33:03 pm »

Chapter Master is the “SS13 remake” of 40k games
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: June 26, 2018, 04:42:26 pm »

I'll admit it was pretty demoralizing when I came into this expecting more positivity.

What, you want cheerleaders for your self-taught closed-source coding tutorial because it happens to sound like yet another doomed imitator of something that was popular once?

This whole thing sounds like a garage project undertaken in the wild hope it will count as "programming experience" by someone who hasn't any formal training.  If the best you'd give your own competence is a B-, that's not going to inspire any confidence in your ability to satisfactorily complete a project of this scope alone -- and since you're not releasing your source code, everything you do is useless to us unless and until you do so.

By all means get as salty as you please and run around the Internet looking for someone optimistic enough to get excited about this, but bear in mind they may take a very long time to find.

Kinda harsh. Unless you're a veteran programmer or deeply confident in your own abilities, some cheerleading is helpful during the development process just for the extra motivation to get a minimum viable product out.

But it's also true. If people can't look at your code and there is nothing for them to play with....what exactly is there to get excited about? When devs announce they're making something but it won't be out for two years, it's the expectation they know what they're doing and will reach the finish line that sustains the hype.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:48:56 pm by nenjin »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: June 27, 2018, 01:30:18 am »

Harsh but agreed - if you want cheerleaders you'll need to go open source; everyone will know that the effort won't be wasted like so many games previously.

If you don't do that (and you're definitely not obliged to) you won't get much excitement until you have gotten to a state where it's on par with chapter master (or nearly there). That's a long way off, and you're going to struggle to get people to put in time to make assets/lore/etc. until you can deliver that.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Lyk.D9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: August 04, 2018, 02:09:47 pm »

I think MM's problem is that he thought he'd get a warm welcome because he picked the game up again but doesn't know that he's one guy among 2 dozen who promised to do that and gave up after a while delivering nothing but making big promises.
Basically saying "I'll work on it until I don't feel like it anymore" doesn't help either.
People here have been disappointed often enough and if you can't see yourself doing it properly then you shouldn't expect others to expect more from you. Right now this seems to me like yet another guy getting in over his head, just this time with a really weird way of formulating things that comes across as entitled and passive-aggressive but (I hope) isn't actually meant that way.
People here are happy whenever the game is picked up, they just aren't very happy because they know it'll get dropped again. This has been going on for years, the pain isn't constant but it is sharp and won't leave any of us any time soon.

EDIT: Just noticed that his last post in the thread was over a month ago, but I guess nobody here is surprised by the outcome here.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:12:21 pm by Lyk.D9 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: August 04, 2018, 03:19:00 pm »

It's technically heresy but we'll let it slide this time.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: August 06, 2018, 08:48:38 pm »

Basically saying "I'll work on it until I don't feel like it anymore" doesn't help either.

Unfortunately that's likely to be true of anyone picking this up. Anyone with the skillset to approach this in a realistic way has more profitable ways to spend their time; heck, I optimistically have about half the skills I'd need to do this well and I'm still too busy with software I'm actually paid to write and can get published with and so forth.

Even if you got enough infrastructure together to enable the kind of incremental improvement that amateurs can do in groups, there's still the 40k issues. It's legally radioactive, but more than that, the 40k fandom is just not a fun one for whom to ponder developing software. Every creative decision you make -- every statline, every graphic, every name -- will be ripped apart and viciously mocked by some contingent of grognards for whom it represents the epitome of Where 40K Went Wrong, at which point they will be volubly opposed by grognards of an opposing opinion and every request for feedback will be overwhelmed with skub.

So, yeah, everyone's going to work on this until they get tired of the greentext on /tg/ calling them an idiot and then they're going to drop it. If we ever want to see something like CM, we'll need a framework that can withstand people constantly getting burned out and hating the project and everyone involved with it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: August 06, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »

GW should take the hint and give a software studio this. CM is what DoW 3 should have been instead of that Dota crap.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: August 06, 2018, 10:04:14 pm »

GW should take the hint and give a software studio this. CM is what DoW 3 should have been instead of that Dota crap.

It's not really compatible with their post-DoW scattershot approach to the IP, I'm afraid.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 288