Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 763233 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3660 on: August 06, 2018, 10:10:20 pm »

Someone managed to make chess though
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: August 07, 2018, 12:30:10 am »

but more than that, the 40k fandom is just not a fun one for whom to ponder developing software.

And yet the collaborative spirit of 40k fans created Chapter Master, and endowed it with the Emperor's fluff and covered mechanics only fans would know or care about, to the delight of all. I think your assertion is a little misplaced; 40k fans can be canon whores but they know an honest 40k game when they see one. Some rivet counter is always going to complain but that's true of every fandom.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: August 07, 2018, 04:08:21 am »

So, yeah, everyone's going to work on this until they get tired of the greentext on /tg/ calling them an idiot and then they're going to drop it. If we ever want to see something like CM, we'll need a framework that can withstand people constantly getting burned out and hating the project and everyone involved with it.

I have to agree with nenjin that I don't think it's that bad - you're always going to get people that complain, but most people were happy with CM.

The way to make this happen is for someone to start on an open source and very easily moddable 4x game with completely serialized data and tons of comments. Everyone that wants to get involved can then get redirected away from their vanity projects to work on something that is actually getting somewhere, and we'd slowly, slowly edge closer to the emperors light.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:07 am »

The way to make this happen is for someone to start on an open source and very easily moddable 4x game with completely serialized data and tons of comments

the problem is that the raws would need to support for a lot of weird shit that's only relevant to 40k. that for example means having control only of the military and not be able to direct your main fleet or vice versa, because the lore is what it is. which if you go the generic 4x route modded for 40k implies all faction should have a flexible control structure with branches within the faction, something working out the budgeting, etc etc and not just as a special case.

it'd be super interesting, but a lot of work on top of what's already a lot of work.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:53 am »

the problem is that the raws would need to support for a lot of weird shit that's only relevant to 40k. that for example means having control only of the military and not be able to direct your main fleet or vice versa, because the lore is what it is. which if you go the generic 4x route modded for 40k implies all faction should have a flexible control structure with branches within the faction, something working out the budgeting, etc etc and not just as a special case.

it'd be super interesting, but a lot of work on top of what's already a lot of work.

It'd need to start pretty humbly - you'd basically just be controlling a few ships of generic marines going from planet to planet blowing stuff up and getting loot. Sure, things like gene seeds and stuff like that  would be specific, but these would be things that could be expanded on later down the line. A lot of sci-fi has 'valuable resource/armour/magic item that limits the number of supersoldiers/pilots/etc' so it'd be a function that would have wide appeal. All these things could be added in (or not) depending on how much traction it gets.

You're never going to get it fitting w40k as much as a game dedicated to just that setting, but with a more generic (but very open) approach you get:
1) No legal issues. At all.
2) A much wider fan base.
3) More people that would help carry on the work.
4) The ability to allow for 'off cannon' representations of 40k.
5) No issues with people arguing over the lore.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TheEmperor

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Faith in the Emperor is faith in yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: January 20, 2019, 11:20:42 am »

BEHOLD!

I have come forth to rescue you all from the depths of despair! (those who are still alive at least)

I've gone and I've bloody done it. Chapter Master 2019. And I'm releasing a prototype now because its not going to be playable for a little bit but I wanted to get support for this going again. I just want to be clear - This is not endorsed by games workshop, and probably never will be. So instead, its a fan made game and money will never change hands during the creation of it. I'll be staying well clear of anything made by games workshop, or by companies for them. So without further or do, I will give you the link to the walkthrough I've put on youtube - https://youtu.be/eu9s9CSkHh8

The new version is in Unity, so therefore is in glorious 3D, not just plain old 2D. You can explore systems in so much more detail than ever before, and the galaxy tbh looks really good.

Space Marine customization is also looking really good at the moment. Although you can only choose between MK7 and MK10 primaris Marines, the hand crafted 3D models look great and are animated. You can customize the colors of most limbs individually, and I may even go further with this in future such as making individual parts fully customizable, but at the moment it is just Limbs. let me know what you think of this.

So in terms of support there are a few things i need from you guys right now. I'll list them as bullet points for ease -

• Names: Names for space marines or systems written in a list like so : "Alpha", "Bravo", "Charlie", "Delta" and so on so forth - this allows really easy intergration into C# and its basically a copy and paste jobbie for me. Any and all lists of names are welcome (provided they aren't silly and/or rude).
  • Space Marine armour and equipment models: If you are any good at 3D modelling, and are able to produce models to the quality shown in the gif's and youtube videoor in the game itself, please contact me either through this or via email - ChapterMaster2019@gmail.com - so i can give you a few models to create for me.
  • Features you would like to see in the future. These will be evaluated and either added to a developer timeline that will be posted online somewhere soon, or be deemed too hard/impossible to create within the scope of the game (i.e. First person combat when your chapter master is deployed) and will be instead added to a blacklist so people don't suggest them again

I'm sure this list will grow, but for now thats the basic stuff done. Right, i need to get back to work. COming up next will be Models for the Marine types (assault, devastator, etc), a few new weapons and hopefully fleets and fleet movement.

Oh, and please download the prototype here - https://the-chapter-master.itch.io/chapter-master-2019

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3666 on: January 20, 2019, 11:58:58 am »

Neat.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: January 20, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »

Nice army painter. It'd be neater if it didn't CTD on launch.

Incidentally, this bit:
A randomly generated sector is made at the start of the game. Currently they cannot be saved, due to the complexity of saving stars and their planets.

In light of how simple your sectors are really doesn't make me want to help, especially since this is, yet again, closed-source.

Actually...is that you, Meandering Marquis?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: January 20, 2019, 12:47:21 pm »

The closed source, singular man produced nature of these projects is exactly what is repeatedly killing them. An actual development team can't be fostered as a result, and nobody can step up to edit the project once the original individual(s) have to leave for various reasons. I'm really not getting my hopes up until I see a project that has more planning for the future.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: January 20, 2019, 12:49:53 pm »

Names for space marines or systems written in a list like so : "Alpha", "Bravo", "Charlie", "Delta"
Just rip the names from Chapter Master, Duke got a great community-sourced list for that.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: January 20, 2019, 01:31:21 pm »

Skeptical appreciation.

Nicely done dude. Good first steps. Here’s hoping it keeps along adequately.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheEmperor

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Faith in the Emperor is faith in yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: January 20, 2019, 02:12:37 pm »

The closed source, singular man produced nature of these projects is exactly what is repeatedly killing them. An actual development team can't be fostered as a result, and nobody can step up to edit the project once the original individual(s) have to leave for various reasons. I'm really not getting my hopes up until I see a project that has more planning for the future.

especially since this is, yet again, closed-source.

The Source Code for this will be kept closed because there are paid for assets for the unity asset store in the source files, meaning they cannot be uploaded for everyone to access (that's right, I sunk a buncha money into this already). If the project is to fail for whatever reason, the source code I have written is commented and pretty well laid out, and I will release all assets that can be released without copyright issues so people can just insert stuff that was paid for unity things.

In light of how simple your sectors are really doesn't make me want to help

The complexity involved with saving the systems is actually a case of reducing unity game objects into strings that can be saved and then reconstituted later when loading, which is a bunch of work i dont want to do just yet because there are far more important and fun things to be doing that can get the community using it. This is about a weeks worth of work, give it another week i'm reasonably confident system saving will be there along with persistent fleets and loading/unloading.

C'mon guys, the skepticism is more likely what killed any earlier projects because people who were able to code weren't commited to the game and were doing it for a challenge, or cus it seemed cool, and then when people were just like "meh" they didn't want to carry on. I want to see this project finished finally, id you guys don't want to help no problem, but don't talk down on the entire project because you don't have any belief. Believe in the Emperor, for he protects.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:13 pm »

Whilst I get that the scepticism may be a bit off-putting - we've had about a dozen projects which have gotten to roughly where you are (give or take - you do look to be slightly further ahead) which then just disappeared. It'll be difficult for people to get excited until you've gotten to a basic prototype up and running of most of the main systems (combat, equipment etc.) but when you do I think you'll get a huge outpouring of support.

That being said, this looks great and you've obviously put a lot of time into it - keep up the good work!!

If I could recommend anything, it would be to not to bother AT ALL with models and customisation until you've got the main game systems in place. You can have a million different marine and weapon models which would be of no use to anyone at all if you don't have a game underlying it. Get fleet movement and basic combat in first, as well as some basic '4x' elements and you'll have a lot more believers who will be happy to help in all sorts of ways.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: January 20, 2019, 03:18:30 pm »

If the project is to fail for whatever reason, the source code I have written is commented and pretty well laid out, and I will release all assets that can be released without copyright issues so people can just insert stuff that was paid for unity things.

If the project fails, it'll be because you abandon it, at which point it's very unlikely you release your source code,especially if you have to actively remove things to get it in a releasable state. You might think otherwise, but so did all your predecessors.

C'mon guys, the skepticism is more likely what killed any earlier projects because people who were able to code weren't commited to the game and were doing it for a challenge, or cus it seemed cool, and then when people were just like "meh" they didn't want to carry on. I want to see this project finished finally, id you guys don't want to help no problem, but don't talk down on the entire project because you don't have any belief. Believe in the Emperor, for he protects.

If you don't want skepticism, come out with more than a map and an army painter before you shout "BEHOLD!" We've seen this cycle before: the map demo, the enthusiasm, the admitted lack of skill, and then the complaining, followed by failure. You're not going to be treated differently because you picked a clever username or because you decided that these forums (which, I hasten to remind you, are not yours) are "the forums" for this game.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: January 20, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »

If the project is to fail for whatever reason, the source code I have written is commented and pretty well laid out, and I will release all assets that can be released without copyright issues so people can just insert stuff that was paid for unity things.

If the project fails, it'll be because you abandon it, at which point it's very unlikely you release your source code,especially if you have to actively remove things to get it in a releasable state. You might think otherwise, but so did all your predecessors.

If you don't want skepticism, come out with more than a map and an army painter before you shout "BEHOLD!" We've seen this cycle before: the map demo, the enthusiasm, the admitted lack of skill, and then the complaining, followed by failure. You're not going to be treated differently because you picked a clever username or because you decided that these forums (which, I hasten to remind you, are not yours) are "the forums" for this game.

Dial it down a little, mate. I know that Chapter Master and the endless failed remakes is a bitter subject for everyone but there's no need to get hostile
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 288